New Phoenix library hours?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 03-17-2010, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I was at the Phoenix Library today ( Desert Broom, way north on Cave creek rd) and saw on my check out reciept that they will not only be closed on Sundays but MONDAYS too starting 4/5/10. This makes me so and . I wonder if it's all Phoenix library locations that are cutting more hours or just this location. With the summer coming and the weather getting HOT DS and I were looking forward to the indoor activity plus we LOVE libraries. We go to Glendale and Phoenix. I dont really like the Phoenix branch on 19th and union hills, there is a brand new branch at 43rd ish and pinnacle peak? (I think its called Agave branch, we haven't explored it yet) Our beloved Glendale Foothills library is closed on sunday. Its just sooooo sad with all the budget cuts that the library is one of the areas being cut AGAIN.

Does anyone have info they can share??

DS loves books, movies, magazines, the programs, and he is at the age where he enjoys the media from all areas of the library. I know Phoenix reduced their hours (some days are 9-5 and others are 11-7) now NO MONDAYS...

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#2 of 5 Old 03-18-2010, 02:00 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
There seems to be conflicting info about their hours on their website:
http://www.phoenixpubliclibrary.org/...jsp?lwbid=9380

I've never checked out the Agave lib you mentioned - I might just have to check it out....by their listed hours, they seem to be open on Mondays

Sundays and maybe Mondays are gonna be fun days to find good indoor activities in the valley......

There is also conflicting info about the hours for Sunday at the Foothills Library in Glendale, but seems to be open Mondays. I know someone who works in the children's section of that library...maybe I need to call her to see what's up...

I hear you and agree - I hope this is the end to the cutting of hours, etc.

Becky, mom to two - DD ('00) and DS ('08)
#3 of 5 Old 03-19-2010, 04:39 AM - Thread Starter

Here is what I found

Phoenix Library
http://www.phoenixpubliclibrary.org/...jsp?lwbid=9380

Glendale Library
http://glendaleaz.com/library/hours.cfm

Phoenix is changing the hours starting APRIL 5th.... more budget cuts... I guess literacy is not important!
The only library open all week is the downtown branch, all others have modified schedules.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#4 of 5 Old 03-19-2010, 11:51 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wow my mom was just telling me about this. She lives walking distance from Dessert Broom. That just stinks.
#5 of 5 Old 03-25-2010, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter

I just went to Glendale Library (foothills) to renew our membership and got bad news... The $10 quarterly rate is proposed to go to $15 for non-Glendale residents soon and the hours are proposed to be cut to resemble that of Phoenix as well...
Foothills are as follows:
M/W 11-7
T/Th 10-6
FRIDAY CLOSED
Sat 12-5
SUNDAY CLOSED

This is HORRIBLE.... We loved this library, they have a great selection, wonderful kids programs, great staff, I can go on and on....

I renewed our membership for 6 months which gets DS and myself thru mid-august..... I will re-evaulate then....

I hate to think how crowded and overwhelmed the library will be for the few hours a week they are open...

Really, how do they expect working people to get to the library when they close at 6pm?? and not open on the weekends....

I can only imagine the great kids programs on also on the chopping block

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page