Mothering Forum banner

considering moving to Phoenix or Tuscon

728 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  sarahtdubb 
#1 ·
We are considering relocation and hoped we could get some good info from the Momma's on here!

These are the things we are wondering about:

What are the reasons you LOVE living in either Phoenix or Tuscon?

What are the "crunchiest" neighborhoods of each city?

Approx how much can we expect to pay for a 2 bedroom rental in a complex with a pool?

Any student nurses or graduates of nursing programs that can comment on good RN programs to look into?

Are there good food co-ops and farmer's markets?

Is finding employment very difficult if you are not a FLUENT spanish speaker?

Thanks so much for any info you Momma's share with us

See less See more
#2 ·
HI, Ive lived in phoenix for the past 10 years and I can answer some of your questions. I dont have have a problem with employement and I dont speak spanish. So no you dont need to habla espanol for employment.

Apartments can run anywhere from 500-2k a month It just depends on where you want to live and how nice a place you want. Generally a 2b2/bth will be between 750-1k month in a decent area, you will be paying electric, phone/interenet/cable, partial water in most places, almost all complexes come wtih a pool and central a/c.

Phoenix has a chain called "sprouts' which is a farmers market type of store and its relatively inexpensive.

#3 ·
Lisa,

I have lived in both Tucson and Phoenix... both have their pluses and minuses. I currently live in Phoenix.

What are the reasons you LOVE living in either Phoenix or Tuscon? I love living in the heart of Phoenix - I am close to lots of culture, public transit (which is, for the most part, sorely lacking in AZ), and other fun things to do. There are lots of parks and kids stuff around too.
I really loved Tucson for the same reasons, though Tucson is much more laid back than Phoenix, much more arty, much more crunchy. It is also much harder to find a job... hence my current residence in Phx. I would move back to Tucson if I could though.

What are the "crunchiest" neighborhoods of each city? Tucson is crunchy as a whole, but if I were to move back, I would live in the University area of town - in one of those old cottage style houses. Neat.
Phoenix... I can't think of a specific "crunchy" area. There are lots of families in the suburbs, that may count. Maybe Tempe counts?

Approx how much can we expect to pay for a 2 bedroom rental in a complex with a pool?
This varies a lot... We live in a 2 bedroom rental in a complex with a pool in downtown Phx, and we pay $750/month. Our last place had the same specs, but cost $1350/month. I couldn't tell you about Tucson's rental rates, except that they tend to be a little cheaper. I paid $500 something for my last apartment there, I think.

Any student nurses or graduates of nursing programs that can comment on good RN programs to look into? UA in Tucson, ASU in Phx - these are tough to get in to. ASU is one of the best in the country, I hear. The community colleges also have good RN programs, to which you are guaranteed admittance (eventually). I think Phoenix College has a program, though I know nothing about it.

Are there good food co-ops and farmer's markets? Definitely. There are tons of options in this regard, in both Phx and Tucson.

Is finding employment very difficult if you are not a FLUENT spanish speaker? Not a problem at all.

Good luck! Let me know if you have any followup questions.

#5 ·
Things I love about Tucson-

the people. there are such cool, fun, interesting people here. people who farm in the city. people who build walls out of grass. people who embroider baby clothes with creative designs. people who weld together bicycles to make crazy contraptions.

I grew up here but lived in Washington, DC, for ten years, and I have enjoyed being back. DC is a place where everyone is career-oriented, and your job defines you. Here people are doing so many other things. It's really family friendly---there are people with kids anywhere you go--- and there are lots of cool activities going on (like the annual mesquite milling parties where you can grind up the beans from your mesquite trees to make flour!)

I also love the subtle beauty of cactus and desert plants; the mountains; the proximity to Mexico (there's a lot of Mexican culture here, from holidays to grocery stores); the winter weather...

The crunchier neighborhoods in Tucson are going to be around the university and "downtown". We live in Miles-- it's not so crunchy, mostly just families, but we love the location (about 1/2 mile from the U of A). There are other neighborhoods with community gardens, etc. If you're looking at specific areas, let me know, and I can give you my impressions.

Couldn't tell you about rent in an apartment complex. We rent our 2 bedroom house for $675, which is cheaper than what my friends pay a little closer to the U of A.

Yes, lots of farmer's markets throughout the week and weekend. The food co-op is great-- it's on 4th avenue, which an eccentric little strip of shops and restaurants.

Couldn't tell you much about nursing programs or employment. My husband does speak fluent spanish, and it took him about a year to find full-time work after we moved here (before that he did work from craigslist, etc). But he was looking for a specific job--solar installation-- and was willing to wait till jobs opened up in that field.

Feel free to PM me any more questions about Tucson!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.