"Must See/Do" in Phoenix/Mesa while visiting this weekend - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 04-16-2010, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We're in Mesa for the weekend, visiting from LA area. We don't have huge amounts of time (mainly here for karate camp for husband, some for 11yo (today!) ds... so just some half-day activities are likely to be possible.

Wondering what you would say is a must-see or must-do for a family of four with 2 boys, one just turned 11 today, the other recently turned 8. We're a homeschooling family, like the outdoors, like most museums, "sciencey" stuff, want something fun and unusual that isn't a day trip.

Things we're considering:
--Arizona Science Center (can get in free on recip mship)
--Children's Museum of Phoenix
--Cosanti/Arcosanti (might be too far)
--Sedona (again might be too far)
--Letterboxing

Are there any restaurants that are really cool and unique for families? (I know of Rainforest Cafe in Tempe but we've been to RC elsewhere so not that one)

Open to suggestions! Thanks for thinking about this

Mama to two amazing homeschooling boys born in 1999 and 2002
#2 of 5 Old 04-17-2010, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, really??? No one has any suggestions??? We're leaving tomorrow!

#3 of 5 Old 04-23-2010, 09:37 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Sorry, i dont usually check this thread... how was your trip... what did you do?

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#4 of 5 Old 04-24-2010, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter

Good trip, thanks! :-)
We did some driving around in search of a good toy store, found Bright Sky in Chandler...
And we went to the AZ Science Center downtown. Was happy to get in free with reciprocal museum membership, as we only got about 2 or 2 1/2 hours at the museum...
There wasn't much time this trip... I had a long list of possibilities but we couldn't do a lot... we did enjoy the hotel and karate camp though!! I hope next time we can stay longer and do more... karate camp happens twice a year.
So, I'm still open to suggestions! :-)
Thanks!

#5 of 5 Old 05-07-2010, 01:00 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Ok Im back on this thread.
I love the botanical gardens and the Phoenix zoo. Both are in the same area
If you have time there is the "wild life world zoo" out in Litchfield that now has a super aquarium. that is an all day thing and $$$

The phoenix childrens museum is great for all ages.
I think tempe has an indoor waterpark.
There is also a fire truck museum near the phoenx zoo. (other side of van buren, behind the ball parks) This takes about 90 mins or so.

We have a puppet theater Great arizona puppets and they have shows that last about 35-45 mins total with weekend seating. this is downtown.

I hope I have you lots to google.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page