Urgent. In need of breast milk in Provo, UT!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 06-06-2010, 09:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My friend has just adopted, and is in need of breast milk for her baby. Are there any mommies in the area willing to donate? If you are, they are asking for milk from people who are qualified to donate blood, and that are not taking medication. Thanks!!!!!!!!
#2 of 5 Old 06-07-2010, 12:00 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Check out www.milkshare.com.

Read my signature below.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#3 of 5 Old 06-09-2010, 04:12 AM - Thread Starter

Friends,

My husband and I just adopted a baby boy, he is now 11 days old. I am attempting to induce lactation & have been nursing him through a supplemental nursing system (SNS) with breast milk from two of my friends. He spent the first week in the NICU, where we got some expert nursing lessons from the lactation consultants. But he was also on antibiotics for that time, and we feel like it is very important for him to have breast milk for his recovery and healthy development.

Now that we are home, and don't have the milk bank that the hospital has, we are running into a problem. Our (thankfully!) healthy baby is consuming the breast milk we had frozen from our friends much faster than we anticipated, and we only have enough milk to get through this Thursday.

So, I am writing to see if you know of anyone in Northern Utah who might be willing to donate some breast milk to help us. We just don't feel good about giving him formula, and are in great need of a milk supply until my milk comes in.

Our doctor at the NICU advised us that breast milk donors be able to be blood donors so that milk born viruses aren't passed on (they test for them when you give blood). We would be eternally grateful to anyone who would be willing to donate!.

Please let me know if you are aware of anyone that could help.

Many, many thanks,
--
Raquel Smith Callis
raquelsmithcallis@gmail.com
www.grittypretty.org
#4 of 5 Old 06-09-2010, 04:13 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the milkshare website, are there people in the area who can help them out too?
#5 of 5 Old 06-10-2010, 01:04 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Donors live wherever they live. You just have to hope someone nearby posts on milkshare. I was lucky that I found donors relatively close to us. Other people have to have the milk shipped. Sometimes it's actually cheaper to hop a plane and go pick up a huge supply of milk than to have it shipped.

Has your friend posted that they need milk? That's how I made contact with some of my donors.

The milkshare site lists a bunch of blood tests that can be done. Your donors don't have to be blood donors, they only need to have the tests done. The donor's insurance usually will pay for these tests. (When I donated after the birth of my son, I had all the tests and they were covered by my insurance.)

Also, the idea of her "milk coming in," may or may not happen. She may not get to full supply. I used donor milk until my daughter turned a year, then I switched to cow's milk. Tell her to try the lactaid, http://www.lact-aid.com/ it is superior to the SNS.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page