Better Birth in Utah - Opinions - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 06-18-2010, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm thinking about having my 3rd baby at Better Birth with an apprentice midwife. My first two births were natural, drug-free, hospital births but I really don't want to do the hospital thing again if I can help it.

I'd like to keep costs low and since my natural hospital births only cost about $1800 out-of-pocket I'm thinking the $1400 apprentice midwife package looks pretty good.

Has anyone ever used the apprentice midwife package there? What did you think? Did you like it?

Thanks.

Wifey to B-Rax  Momma to Cartman 10-30-2006.  Gryff 5-7-2008.  angel.gif 8-15-2010.  My rainbow1284.gif baby Babs 11-13-11.  Due with #4 in May/June.  Gluten-Free. Raw milk drinkers. Urban homesteaders.
 teapot2.GIF  delayedvax.gif  selectivevax.gif  nocirc.gif  cd.gif  knit.gif  chicken3.gif  waterbirth.jpg 

#2 of 12 Old 06-18-2010, 03:45 PM

Where is better birth? I've never heard of it.

ETA: Nevermind I just looked it up. I went to Rebecca Williams in Murray- she also does birth center and homebirths. I think her homebirth price is $2000 and $800 more for the BC. I LOVED her.. hope that helps!

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#3 of 12 Old 06-18-2010, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

I've heard really good things about Rebecca; our old neighbor went to her for her 3 babies.

I would really love a home birth, but I live with my parents right now and my mom thinks that Satan really likes to kill righteous babies and if I have it at home my baby will die ( don't ask me).

One awesome thing about Rebecca is my insurance would possibly cover her services as an out-of-network provider since she is a CNM.

Wifey to B-Rax  Momma to Cartman 10-30-2006.  Gryff 5-7-2008.  angel.gif 8-15-2010.  My rainbow1284.gif baby Babs 11-13-11.  Due with #4 in May/June.  Gluten-Free. Raw milk drinkers. Urban homesteaders.
 teapot2.GIF  delayedvax.gif  selectivevax.gif  nocirc.gif  cd.gif  knit.gif  chicken3.gif  waterbirth.jpg 

#4 of 12 Old 06-18-2010, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexysisam View Post
I've heard really good things about Rebecca; our old neighbor went to her for her 3 babies.

I would really love a home birth, but I live with my parents right now and my mom thinks that Satan really likes to kill righteous babies and if I have it at home my baby will die ( don't ask me).

One awesome thing about Rebecca is my insurance would possibly cover her services as an out-of-network provider since she is a CNM.
Having your insurance cover would be a BIG bonus! She gets booked up FAST so if you are considering her at all, CALL NOW!

I had my #2 in her new birth center and I love it there.. her tub is AMAZING!

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#5 of 12 Old 06-23-2010, 04:52 PM

I've never done the apprentice program, but I've used Suzanne at Better Birth with all four of my home births. Trinette is great, too.

Homeschooling Mom of 5 dds reading.gif

Planning my fifth natural birth using Hypnobabies for baby boy coming in June 2012! nocirc.gif

#6 of 12 Old 06-25-2010, 11:53 AM

I'm using them! I haven't had my baby yet, so I can't comment on that aspect, but so far I've enjoyed my prenatal care.
#7 of 12 Old 06-25-2010, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies.

I think I will try the apprentice program. I mean, it can't be any worse than freaking St. Marks who likes to set up the room while you're laboring in it.

#8 of 12 Old 07-10-2010, 06:33 PM

Hi! I know I'm a bit late on this, but I wanted to chime in. I had my son in February with Better Birth and had the apprentice package and it was great! I loved getting to meet the different midwives and apprentices and they were all wonderful! My son was born with spina bifida (no ultrasound, so it was a surprise) and they were very good at handling everything and staying calm and taking care of the situation. Brigitte Eastman was the supervising midwife at our birth, but she has moved. Suzanne supervised most of my prenatals. My husband and I were both really impressed with the apprentices and the midwives. The only reason I wouldn't do the apprentice package again would be that I don't want to go anywhere next time; but since I'm living with my in-laws, the birthing suite was the best thing, and it was really comfortable. I recommend them 110%

Mom to Lovebug 2/10 and wife to DH.
Thrilled to debut our beautiful 2011 breastfeeding calendar! www.beautyofmothering.com
#9 of 12 Old 01-14-2013, 10:37 AM

I had an absolutely horrible experience there. I'm not sure how much I should say online (I haven't consulted a lawyer yet), but they did a lot of things without my permission and I don't want anyone else to go through what I did at their birth center. When I remember my birth I get very angry and usually start crying, I can't believe how poorly things went. When I complained to them after the birth a different midwife they didn't even apologize. 

Also, their website says that all their midwives are state licensed but its not true. I know because I tried to file a complaint with the state against one of the midwives there and a supervisor told me that she was not licensed so he had no authority to investigate. 

#10 of 12 Old 05-22-2013, 02:19 PM

I have no exp. with them I've only been in Utah for 3 yrs. but we had a really nice birth at home with Reta Starseed. Also jessice Stahle is really nice. Chris ****** has a birth center in Ogden i hear wonderful things about. arrivals birth services :)

goorganic.jpg    namaste.gif    nocirc.gif  winner.jpg  slingboy.gif  familybed1.gif homebirth.jpg

#11 of 12 Old 06-06-2013, 08:50 PM

I am sorry that happened to you! Sounds horrible!

goorganic.jpg    namaste.gif    nocirc.gif  winner.jpg  slingboy.gif  familybed1.gif homebirth.jpg

#12 of 12 Old 06-12-2013, 02:40 PM

Hello Ladies - I just wanted to let every one know that due to defamation liabilities we are not allowed to post negative reviews about practitioners on the forums. For this reason I have had to remove the negative reviews on this thread.

If you have a negative review to leave, You are free to PM a person asking for reviews.

If there are any questions feel free to ask or PM a moderator and we will do our best to answer your question.

Be blessed every one, and thanks in advance for your cooperation. smile.gif

sewmachine.gifknit.gifrainbow1284.gifDaughter of Him, Wife and Mother to them partners.gifstillheart.gifstillheart.gifstillheart.gifstillheart.gif,  

heartbeat.gifOne more on the way Fall 2013 pos.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page