Mothering Forum banner

Possible relocation to SLC area

774 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Ianthe 
#1 ·
Hi everyone!!

My family and I are in the middle of a potential relocation to the SLC area from the midwest. We have done a lot of research about your area, and it seems to be a beautiful place to live with so much activity and fun stuff to do. We visited in June and were very impressed.

My biggest concern is all of the information I have read about air pollution. I was hoping maybe some of you would be willing to share your experience, thoughts and opinions on this? I would really appreciate some feedback from local moms. We were almost certain that we were ready to make the transition, but I've become apprehensive reading all of the pollution scores and comments on different forums on various sites.

Help!

Thanks!!!

See less See more
#2 ·
My husband and I are avid walkers so the pollution has been an issue. When it's really bad, we try not to be out for too long. We go up into the mountains sometimes to get above the smog too. I've lived in the SLC area my whole life (except for 4 years while attending BYU in Provo) and it's something I'm just used to in a lot of ways. The best thing to do is just stay inside more when it's really bad, but when it's butt-cold outside or bordering 100 degrees, that's easy to do, at least for me. (Winter and summer are when the smog is the worst.) It's really not bad in the spring and fall when there's more rain and snow and even in the winter it's not too bad unless there's a long space between snowstorms. I don't know what next year will be like, but this year has been AWESOME! We've had a very cool summer with lots of moisture so there has been very little trouble with inversion.

#3 ·
Thank you for the reply!

I just wasn't sure how one goes about dealing with the 'Action Days' and what to do with kids. I currently live in an area with no air pollution, so this is all new to me.
It sounds like you love being there despite any issues, so that is definitely encouraging!

#4 ·
I've lived in Salt Lake all my life, and I do love it here. But the pollution does get to me sometimes, and I do have asthma.

My DH moved here to be with me, and he did have a rough time getting used to it the first year or so, he said he was def sick more often than usual.

Also, it highly depends on what area of the valley you will be living, bc when inversion happens, it settles in the lower areas. Do you know whereabout you'll be? DH & I spent about 7 years in Sugarhouse, which is my fav area of the SL Valley, but its pretty bad on the inversion factor. We now live in East Sandy, and being up on the bench keeps us out of most of it, and being near the mouth of the canyon helps too because there is a constand wind coming out that keeps the air here MUCH clearer.

#5 ·
The thing about the pollution is that when it's really bad, you probably don't want to be outside anyway because it's too hot or too cold. Those days we tend to do indoor playdates or go to play areas at the mall or to Chick-Fil-A. Stuff like that. In an entire year, there are probably less than 6 weeks of bad air that you need to avoid, so it doesn't affect day to day life too much. You very quickly learn to adjust.

#6 ·
Thank you for the info! I had looked through the historical data previously and noticed what you mentioned with the hot/cold times as it showed the worst times are mostly December/January and July.

@Xavismom: too funny that you mentioned your location(s). We don't know where we will live yet. We were thinking that we may rent until we find any area that we would like to purchase a home. We both liked Sandy while were there, though I think Sugar House seems like a super cool place to live!! Are there areas that are more "crunchy" than others? lol

Thanks again everyone!!

#7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by j.e.n View Post
Thank you for the info! I had looked through the historical data previously and noticed what you mentioned with the hot/cold times as it showed the worst times are mostly December/January and July.

@Xavismom: too funny that you mentioned your location(s). We don't know where we will live yet. We were thinking that we may rent until we find any area that we would like to purchase a home. We both liked Sandy while were there, though I think Sugar House seems like a super cool place to live!! Are there areas that are more "crunchy" than others? lol

Thanks again everyone!!

I would say Sugarhouse is definatey one of the more 'crunchy', or diverse areas. Also similar to Sugarhouse would be the 9th & 9th area, Foothill, or the Avenues. They are all more expensive propertywise though, than a lot of areas in the valley. Other than missing Sugarhouse, I'm liking Sandy quite a bit, allthough I dont think I would like west Sandy. We are up by Alta Ridge Hospital.

#8 ·
I no longer live in the SLC area (in Logan now), but loved it when I was there. I had crunchy friends from the Aves all the way to Sandy.. there are lots of natural minded crunchy people in the whole valley. SLC, Murray, and Sandy have great LLL groups.. so you'd meet great friends in any of those areas!

I don't like the inversion of SLC, but it's really the worst part of the area.. the activities, nature, people, events, etc, make up for it--most of the time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.