Kinda new, kinda old to Tucson - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 08-03-2010, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all,
I'm new to MDC and in a way new to Tucson as well. I grew up here and in Nogales but have lived most of my adult life up in the frigid lands of Wisconsin. Well, we're back after 12 long years and I feel a bit disconnected from the town that I love. Either Tucson's changed a lot, or I have but probably both. Partially I'm feeling so disconnected just due to our circumstances at the moment. I have a nine month old son and still feel like a new mom trying to gain her bearings (something I'm not sure ever really happens once you're a mom). Also, after always being a 2 car household, we're down to one car and there's not many parks within walking distance (at least not SUMMER walking distance). I keep trying to remind myself that this is a good and probably much needed lesson in minimalizing, but I've been struggling against deep feelings of isolation - something I didn't expect when we decided to return to Tucson. A Wisconsin friend turned me onto the online community here as I've only ever read the print version of Mothering and after just reading a few posts I hope I've found what I need here! We shall see.

In particular I'm interested in friendships, kids activities doable with limited transportation ( I live midtown near the botanical gardens), gardening resources and any advice on the usuals - reigning in a champion sleep-fighter and helping him become an adventurous and healthy eater (so far he refuses everything except breastmilk). Even though his doctor and WIC nurse are worried, I'm not. He's 9 months and 23 pounds and appears to be the epitome of perfect health. I'm just worried I may have missed a window somewhere and his palate will suffer. Is 9 months too old to be exclussively breastfed? I offer him a variety of options, which he's taken a little bit in the past but the last month or so he's decided he wants nothing but the good stuff. Any of you go the the midtown LLL meetings?

I know this is a lot of random tangents. Any comments on all or one of these tangents are much appreciated!

Thanks!

Erin
Mama to Rohan - aka boo, monkey or booger
#2 of 14 Old 08-04-2010, 09:32 PM

Hi and welcome back!

We are homeschoolers and the vast majority of our social engagements revolve around our homeschool groups. We are a one car family, but my husband rides his bike to and from work so we have the car. I grew up here without a car for a lot of my childhood and used the city bus. I have wanted to ride the bus with the kids more, but I honestly haven't been able to muster the courage to brave the heat. Maybe once it cools down a bit you can ride a bike with a baby seat?

I didn't feed my daughter solids until around a year and really believe in child-led solids.

good luck!

blogging.jpg 
#3 of 14 Old 08-04-2010, 09:56 PM

Just want to say I agree with Serendipity about child led solids. Sounds like your little one is healthy and happy with your mamas milk. Don't know where there might be LLL meetings, I went to them at the library, but that was 12 or so years ago. Thinking you'll find great support there so wishing you lots of luck with that. Welcome back home!
#4 of 14 Old 08-05-2010, 10:20 AM

Welcome back to Tucson, Erin!

responding to things in no particular order--

I also grew up in Tucson and moved back as a grown up 2 years ago. I have really been liking it!

We are also a one-car house, but like Serendipity, by husband bikes to work. is there anyway your husband could bike/bus to work so you could have the car?

from your area, you may be able to get good places on the bus.. I dont know if a bus goes up alvernon to brandi fenton? when it gets cooler it will be easier--we walk miles and miles in the winter months, its incredible. and soonish your babe will be bike ready, and that helps a ton and is actually not a bad way to get around in the summer because you get a breeze when you're riding... but that doesnt help right now, I know!

Ive gone to central LLL meeting for a couple years now.. it's at speedway/alvernon the 1st tuesday of each month.

and my son was offered solids but ate almost none until he was over a year old.

I am way short on time at this moment, but please PM with your email or something and we can try to connect!!

Sarah
(Carter- almost 3; Hazel- 6 months)
#5 of 14 Old 08-09-2010, 05:01 PM

Hi, I hear you about the food and exclusive bf-ing. My son is two and still nurses a lot... Sometimes eats a lot and sometimes not. His habits have changed a lot over time. He used to be very adventurous about tastes, and less so now. He used to eat tons of veg, then it switched to fruit and meat. I can hardly keep up and am always worrying. BUT, I remember at 9 months it was alllll about food exploration, not actual eating. (we kind of followed the baby-led way) So at 9 mo, in fact until after 12 mo, he was perfectly happy and healthy exclusively bf-ing.

I just moved to Tucson from Oakland, CA, and I am in search of a doc for my son who is if not supportive, at least non-agenda-pushing, about our bf-ing, non(or alternativ schedule) vacc's, etc. AND I am also interested in gardening, and making friends. I go to the Bot Gardens regularly. Another poster talked
about Speedway/Alvernon LLL meetings? But I couldn't find a listing for the meeting info with that address, have you looked into it? I'm interested in joining a LLL group here in Tucson.

Since I just registered with MDC, I am not sure how to email or message directly, but you can feel free to contact me directly if you can get my info through this board (?) It would be great to hear from another local mama. Oh, and I am located relatively close to you, off of Mountain, near Ft. Lowell.
Cheers!
#6 of 14 Old 08-09-2010, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

I sooo appreciate the feedback on child-led solids. That had always been my plan but then with the input from the doctor and the WIC nurse, I started thinking about my friends' babies who were also child-led solid babies and who were eating way more than my son by 9 months. I kept thinking, am I doing something wrong? But no, it's just a good reminder how every baby is different and they all go at their own pace and I can disregard these health professionals advice (BTW, it boggles my mind that a nurse from a program supposedly promoting good nutrition for Women, Infants and Children would suggest I mix apple juice with rice cereal to see if that would encourage my son to eat more! They call this good nutrition!??)

Crystal brings up a good point too. I've been looking for several months for a family practictioner who would be open minded about our choices involving prolonged breastfeeing, vaccines, etc and so far I'm not impressed with who our insurance has set us up with. Every time I hear about a doctor who sounds like a good match, I find out from their office they don't take our insurance. It's pretty frustrating. Anyone out their have an open-minded family doc who takes APIPA?

And I so appreciate the suggestions on finding community. I've gone to the evening mid-town LLL meeting at Himmel Park Library since that's when I can get the car, but as it's in the evenings most moms there work outside the home. A lot of the discussion is about breastfeeding and work issues. I'm interested in any breastfeeding discussions but this isn't my life at the moment. Sometimes I feel a bit of an outsider as I'm a SAHM right now and aiming to be for a while. Maybe I should try the day meeting at St Marks on 1 st Tuesdays. Anyone here go to that meeting? Hopefully it's walkable for me.

Thanks again all!
#7 of 14 Old 08-09-2010, 06:49 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Both my kids, 4.5 and 2 tomorrow are still nursing. We go to Janel Lloyed at Catalina pediatrics. Every visit she says, "Any vaccines today?" I say no and she says, "I just have to ask."

I bought a non-US version of this book on baby led weaning. The US version will be released Sept. 1. http://www.amazon.com/Baby-Led-Weani...1390574&sr=1-2

Got a whining toddler pulling on me. Gotta go.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#8 of 14 Old 08-10-2010, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalEyes View Post
I just moved to Tucson from Oakland, CA, and I am in search of a doc for my son who is if not supportive, at least non-agenda-pushing, about our bf-ing, non(or alternativ schedule) vacc's, etc. AND I am also interested in gardening, and making friends. I go to the Bot Gardens regularly. Another poster talked
about Speedway/Alvernon LLL meetings? But I couldn't find a listing for the meeting info with that address, have you looked into it? I'm interested in joining a LLL group here in Tucson.

The LLL group I mentioned near speedway/alvernon is the first "central group" on the list here: http://www.lllusa.org/web/TucsonAZ.html

For pediatricians, we go to Catalina Pediatrics (like SundayCrepes). We've never had a problem-- but I do know two people who called to be new patients and were refused when they said they were doing delayed vaccinations. So if you call to make an appointment, keep that yourself.

I'd love to meet up at the Botanical gardens some morning next week...Monday or wednesday would be best for us.
#9 of 14 Old 08-10-2010, 09:36 PM

Thanks for the LLL info, and the pediatrician info, Sarah! I am definitely wanting to meet up. My son just started playschool 4 mornings a week, though! It's a big change for us... so I can't bring him Mon-Thurs. Fridays and weekends, yes. If you, or any other mothers, don't mind meeting up with me *sans kid*, then I am up for any morning of the week. Sometimes we can do evening playtime...kind of depending on the day... contact me?
Thanks again! And also thanks to info from everyone posting
Crystal
#10 of 14 Old 08-15-2010, 02:14 AM - Thread Starter

Hi everyone,
Crystal and I met up at the gardens last week and, at least speaking for myself, had a blast. We're hoping to do it again this week sometime if anyone else is interested. I know they have evening hours one day a week, which might be cooler but I also know evenings can be a little touchy with little ones. I'm very flexible, living really close to the gardens. Anyone interested? Any suggestions as to when would be a good time?
Erin
#11 of 14 Old 08-15-2010, 02:44 AM

We used to have a really active playgroup here at MDC http://www.mothering.com/discussions...178791&page=18 However, those of us with older kids have kind of scattered to the winds (though several of us still get together, we just are using cell phones more than the website.) There are some mamas with under 1 babies there. You may want to try reviving that thread and seeing if any of the people there want to get together as well.

My kids are 4.5 and 2. We need older kids to play with these days. Lots of running, jumping, climbing and such going on in our world.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#12 of 14 Old 09-02-2010, 01:45 PM

Yay!!!! I am so so so so soooooooooo excited to see this thread!!!
We just found out yesterday that we will be moving to Tucson at the end of the month, start of October! I am THRILLED to know that there are friendly, crunchy, nursing-happy mommas in the area! We moved to Florida about a year ago, from a very pro-AP momma community in VA, where it was odd to NOT nurse your 3 year old and where homebirth was the norm, to here in FL, where they think it's gross to nurse your newborn and send me dirty looks for nursing the baby! SO YAY!
I cannot wait to move, and look forward to meeting you mommas soon!
I tandem nurse my 4 year old and 21 month old. The baby was born at home. We are a homeschooling family and cannot wait to make friends (and to move closer to my momma! She currently lives in AZ, we'll still be a few hours away from her, but, a few hours is better than 3 days!!!!)

If anybody would like to PM me about Crunchy mommy groups, playgroups, LLL information, and of course, areas to look for houses to buy or rent, I would greatly, greatly appreciate it! I am currently a doula, finishing my CBE certificate and will be beginning the long process to being an LC once we get moved and settled.
#13 of 14 Old 09-02-2010, 08:49 PM

Good luck with the move LGM, and feel free to PM if you need info.

blogging.jpg 
#14 of 14 Old 09-03-2010, 01:50 AM

I pm'ed you. We're also homeschoolers (unschoolers) with a 2 and 4 year old.

BTW, my husband worked in FL for 2 years. We were in Ft. Pierce in St. Lucy county. A week here a week there for him. I went there several times a year. The culture was odd but I loved the land and water.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page