Homeschooling - Tucson - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 08-21-2010, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi ladies,

I used to post on here, but then life got crazy and I haven't been around in awhile. I had talked about homeschooling last time I was here, and learned that several of you go to the HS groups in town.

I visited SDH in April/May of 2009 and there weren't many people there, and those that were tended to be unschoolers. I don't know if there weren't many people there b/c it was getting warm out??

The other big group in town is a Christian group.

I am in a weird place, and I know there have to be other people out there like me. I am not an unschooler - while I do believe that many things can be learned organically, I will be using curriculum. I am a Christian, but more a spiritual Christian than a religious one. I won't get into all my beliefs here, but I will just say that I am a registered Democrat with many liberal views.

Sooo... how would I fit in with SDH or CHET??? Am I odd girl out, or is there a place for me somewhere??

For those who attend SDH, is it mainly unschoolers, or are there others like me?

And one last question - I'm doing Calvert Pre-K this year, has anyone else done Calvert?

OK that's it. Thanks for any input/help you have!! I really would like to find a homeschool group where my daughter and I can find friends and get that elusive element that homeschoolers lack, socialization. (that was sarcastic... in case that didn't translate well through my typing)

Kristin
#2 of 13 Old 08-22-2010, 02:22 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I can't really answer your question as we 1. are unschoolers, 2. haven't done much with SDH. Our big conflict with SDH is that we've got nap right smack in the middle of the day. I might try going more once it starts cooling down. My limited experience with SDH is that there were a lot of folks that aren't unschoolers. We belong to the unschooling group (though have the same napping problem during their activities as well.) When I go to SDH I see more people I don't recognize than people I do recognize from the unschooling group.

What time of day were you going? Homeschoolers tend to sleep in and not get started until late morning or early afternoon.

There's also a northwest homeschooling group. Here's a link to their yahoo group: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NorthwestAZhomeschoolers/

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#3 of 13 Old 08-22-2010, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

I was going when it began, like 10? We are early risers. Maybe that is part of the problem.

Thanks for the info on the Yahoo group - going to check that out now!!
#4 of 13 Old 08-22-2010, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikidee View Post
I was going when it began, like 10? We are early risers. Maybe that is part of the problem.

Thanks for the info on the Yahoo group - going to check that out now!!
Oh yeah, at 10 you're unlikely to see many people.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#5 of 13 Old 08-22-2010, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter

What time to people start coming usually?
#6 of 13 Old 08-23-2010, 02:10 AM

We've only been a few times. I know that last year they moved announcements from 11 to 12. If we go it will be after nap so we're unlikely to get there until 2ish. I hope that's not too late.

#7 of 13 Old 08-23-2010, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter

That's great news. Part of the problem with that group is that we live WAY up on the NW side (Marana/Oro Valley area), and getting down there isn't easy. If we have that much leeway during the day, that would make life easier.

Maybe I'll see you there this year!
#8 of 13 Old 08-25-2010, 01:17 AM

I heard park days haven't been well attended due to the weather. I think they may be putting these on hold for a few weeks.

#9 of 13 Old 08-26-2010, 08:39 PM

We are also unschoolers who attend SDH. Park days only just started back up on the 18th and since it's been so hot, most people aren't going yet. I'd say most people are there between 12 and 4pm.

I think SDH is a great group for all types of families, there are some unschoolers but many that are relaxed/eclectic/curriculum users.

I would try attending SDH and CHET and NW SDH and just see what feels best. Good luck!

blogging.jpg 
#10 of 13 Old 08-28-2010, 08:06 AM

I am in a similar boat as you. I have been wanting to go to my first SDH meeting to see what it is like, but either it's too hot or we are busy. I also live in Oro Valley, so those parks are a bit of a long trip for us as well. I really wanted to unschool DS, but with his learning disabilities I need to explore the possibility of a curriculum being a better fit for him (but OMG the overwhelming choices). Add to it the fact that I am Pagan (I am very accepting of others faiths, but I have run in to a couple of folks in this area who are not so accepting of my beliefs), I don't want to end up in a group where I would not be welcomed. DS will be six in december, so I also need to submit an affidavit of intent to home school soon (it sounds easy but I am still nervous that I will do something wrong). I'll check out that yahoo group too (thanks for the suggestion SundayCrepes). Maybe we will run into each other at one of these meetings.
#11 of 13 Old 08-30-2010, 12:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serendipity View Post
We are also unschoolers who attend SDH. Park days only just started back up on the 18th and since it's been so hot, most people aren't going yet. I'd say most people are there between 12 and 4pm.

I think SDH is a great group for all types of families, there are some unschoolers but many that are relaxed/eclectic/curriculum users.

I would try attending SDH and CHET and NW SDH and just see what feels best. Good luck!
Is there a NW branch of SDH??
#12 of 13 Old 09-02-2010, 08:30 PM

Yes there is. I would maybe do a search on yahoo! groups. I used to be on the list but I'm not anymore.

blogging.jpg 
#13 of 13 Old 09-03-2010, 01:35 AM

There's this one that I posted earlier in the thread, but I don't know if it's THE group you're looking for:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NorthwestAZhomeschoolers/

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page