Tucson preschools (co-op?) - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 09-12-2010, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Does anyone in Tucson have a recommendation for a preschool, preferably free or a co-op for my almost-3-year-old? I'm looking into sending him one or two half days a week, just to see how he does. I really think he'd like it, and he really seems to need a social outlet. We do playdates and lots of outings but he seems to be getting to that stage where he actually does better without me there, and I'd love a few hours of free time!
#2 of 9 Old 09-17-2010, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter

Bumping... Is there really nothing in town? I've searched online and found very little info, but I find it hard to believe that with all Tucson has to offer in other areas, there is no co-op preschool!
#3 of 9 Old 09-17-2010, 09:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Tucson community school is a co-op. 2nd street preschool has a strong community and a great outdoor area. Desert Spring on Euclid and Speedway is Reggio Emelio. They're the best in town from what I've heard.

Blake Foundation's Children's achievement center is not a coop. It is more childcare but they have a great facility.

We're homeschoolers so don't have a lot of experience with these. Are son did got to desert spring for a couple months when we had family issues the necessitated it. They were pretty good.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#4 of 9 Old 10-13-2010, 09:51 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm so glad to come across this post. However, my son is almost 1 years old so TCS and Desert Springs don't seem to be options for us. We're just starting a preliminary search into our childcare options as I've been asked back for a 2nd interview.

It's not a for sure thing in the least bit, but it's bringing all sorts of emotions up for me. It really would be a dream job at this point in my life, except for the fact that it will be a huge change in our lives and, to say the least, daunting (even if it were partime, but it is sadly fulltime). Ultimately, it comes down to money for us, as we've been hit hard during these difficult times, just as it is for so many other families out there. It is helpful, I think, that it is a position I know I would do well at and feel passionate about. It'd be another story entirely if it were truly just a job to get us by.

So I have a tall order, I know . . .I'm looking for a child care option that hopefully will help us through this big transition of me starting work outside the home, that we can afford, and that understands/promotes the kind of childcare philosophies that we do (co-sleeping, extended BF, attachment parenting etc, etc, etc). If such an option exists in Tucson, PLEASE let me know. My mom's best friend (my 2nd mom in a sense) has offered to come to our home for a day or 2 a week, which will cover some of our childcare needs and keep DS in a familiar environment. I'd even be open to a small in-home childcare service if we could really be assured that my son will be safe and happy (even if it takes some time for adjustment) and attended to in ways similar to our parenting style (gentle, responsive, etc). I'm also looking into The Sandbox, as this was the daycare center I attended as a child and, from what I can remember, had a pretty good experience there. Has anyone on here had experience with them lately? I know they've changed locations since I went there as a child.

Lastly, any mamas out there have advice about returning to work when you have a little one who is 1 yo, still breastfeeding quite a lot and just on the verge of walking (does it quite well, but still seems to prefer crawling)? Practical and emotional advice would be greatly appreciated.

gratefully awaiting guidance,
Erin
#5 of 9 Old 10-14-2010, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter

Erin,
A friend of mine has her son at the Sandbox now. She says he is doing great there and loves it, and she has very high standards, so I know she did her research. (However, she is much more mainstream (no cosleeping or BFing, etc.) in her parenting, so I don't know how that translates to the style of the day care.)
Good luck, I hope you find something you like.
SC, I'm going to look into Desert Sky, thanks!
#6 of 9 Old 10-14-2010, 01:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by swd12422 View Post
Erin,
A friend of mine has her son at the Sandbox now. She says he is doing great there and loves it, and she has very high standards, so I know she did her research. (However, she is much more mainstream (no cosleeping or BFing, etc.) in her parenting, so I don't know how that translates to the style of the day care.)
Good luck, I hope you find something you like.
SC, I'm going to look into Desert Sky, thanks!
It's Desert Spring http://www.desertspringschool.org/contact

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#7 of 9 Old 10-14-2010, 03:10 PM

Thank you swd for that input. It definitely helps tailor my questions I have for them.
#8 of 9 Old 10-14-2010, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter

I did find it, thanks! Typo due to DS = and me =
#9 of 9 Old 10-14-2010, 06:02 PM

Hi! My son, 2 yrs old, has been going to Desert Spring since August. He adjusted quickly, which I think has a lot to do with the teachers too, not just him. They are incredible and emotionally supportive. They are all about communication with the kids... Child-led for the most part, with structure of the day being the basic playtime, reading, music/art, lunch, naptime things. My son only goes part time. Through "First Thing First" initiative, the city helps Desert Spring provide limited numbers of scholarships to families based on need. They also accept families who get childcare funds from DES. So there are ways... I know there areother schools that do the same. Anyone know anything about International School for Peace? I never checked it out but was curious. I also wondered about the Sandbox, Monkeymama. A friend did not like it for her 4 yr old, but I'm not sure of her reasons. Childcare nursery could be fine. You should go for a tour if you have time and see if your child is interested by anything there or connects with any of the caregivers. (?) By the way, do any mothers here have a ~2 yr old at Desert Spring? Maybe we could set up a playdate outside of school?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page