VBAC in Tucson - help! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 31 Old 09-13-2010, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi. I'm new here and have a question. I recently found out I'm pregnant with baby #2. My DD is 9 months old and was born via c-section. The local hospital here has a VBAC ban so my only option is the go to Tucson (80 miles) away to have a VBAC. I've heard Dr. Maciulla is a great doctor will take VBAC patients, however, I'd like a doctor with a local office. The OB group I found with a local office attends births at TMC, but so far I don't know if they will accept VBAC patients. I'm hoping someone hear knows something about the docs at the Obstetrix Group in Tucson. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 31 Old 09-13-2010, 08:39 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I'm confused. Macuila and obstetrix are both in Tucson.

Have you thought of contacting the birth center? They used to do VBACs. I don't know if they still do. They're not local to where you are, but they are midwives.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#3 of 31 Old 09-13-2010, 09:13 PM - Thread Starter

LOL! Obstetrix has a local office in Sierra Vista so I could do my prenatal appointments there. Sorry for the confusion. I did hear back from Obstetrix today and they do attend VBACs and I would only have to go to Tucson a few times for prenatal appointments.

The Tucson Birth Center does attend VBACs however, only at TMC, not at the actual birth center. I have considered them too.

Has anyone had a successful VBAC with the Obstetrix group docs?

Thanks!
#4 of 31 Old 09-13-2010, 09:23 PM

I was told by one of the OBX doctors that she was the doctor, and I would do what she said. She said that she knew better than me, and if she came in and said I need a c-section, than there wasn't going to be any discussion, that she was going to wheel me down to OR, and I was going to get my section. She further elaborated that if I showed up with my breech baby "crowning" that she would "shove him back up there" and wheel me down to OR. She also told me that I could have a doula, sure, but that I needed to remember that my doula's job was to fetch my ice chips, and that she was the dr... and I needed to do what she said. She made it clear that there would be no discussions regarding eating during labor, the use of a heplock as opposed to full IV, constant vs intermittitent monitoring - I was getting it all, no negotiations. Oddly enough, she later told my midwife what a wonderful person I was, and how lovely my dh and I were.

I'm currently trying to switch to Maciulla.

It should also be noted that I'm not doing a "normal" birth - I am going to be delivering a preterm breech baby. They might not say the same things to a full term VBAC.
#5 of 31 Old 09-14-2010, 03:03 AM

I interviewed with an MD at obstetrix for a job as a RN doing research into smoking cessation during pregnancy. Could have been an interesting job but it became very clear that he and I had very different philosophies on birth. I intentionally sabotaged the interview by telling him my low intervention philosophies. Needless to say, I did not get a call back.

Macciula (or however you spell it) did my amnio. He's got an outgoing sense of humor. Typically I won't see a man for ob care but for an amnio I only wanted whoever had the absolute best technical skills. He's the one that my sources indicated.

I delivered at the birth center. It was a great experience.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#6 of 31 Old 09-14-2010, 10:52 AM

They keep telling me that the guy at the top of OBX is "better" with midwifery care and the low intervention stuff, but I'm not sure I believe it.

The person I spoke to was most definitely not.

I've heard the Maciulla has an "interesting" sense of humor, but at this point, if it means not getting cut open to deliver another breech baby (I've already delivered one premature breech vaginally) I just don't care. I'm not a candidate for a version, because of the prematurity issues - no one will do a version before 37 weeks... that's still 6 weeks away, and I'm dilated to 1-2, and fully effaced. And he can't be as offensive as the OBX doc, who looked at my frequent diflucan rx and asked - repeatedly - if I was *sure* I wasn't HIV+, and then turned to my dh and asked him the same thing.
#7 of 31 Old 09-15-2010, 02:55 AM

well, my water is broke, and I'm at TMC, so i probably won't ever get to UMC. And naturally, he's still breech.

Not in labor, just stuck here until he's born.
#8 of 31 Old 09-15-2010, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mran View Post
well, my water is broke, and I'm at TMC, so i probably won't ever get to UMC. And naturally, he's still breech.

Not in labor, just stuck here until he's born.
You have the right to a hospital transfer.

You're 31 weeks right? Are they able to keep your baby cooking?

#9 of 31 Old 09-15-2010, 07:49 AM

Not going to make it through the night - my contractions are less than 5 minutes apart, I'm bleeding, nauseous, etc. I was trying to sleep, but I can't sleep through the contractions anymore. It's hard enough to deal with all the damn monitors & IV, but the contractions are hellish. They won't check, because it's not recommended to do any exams with PPROM. We'll see what happens. With the last one, I was sleeping and next thing you know, he was born, just sort of slid out with no warning... Maybe I'll get to avoid a c-section that way? lol
#10 of 31 Old 09-15-2010, 07:55 AM

I am sorry that you did not get the birth you hoped for I delivered at UMC and wished I had delivered at TMC. UMC was a complete nightmare start to finish and my birth was the last time I ever used UMC for any sort of health care need. Congratulation's on your new little one, if you can take advantage of the post birth in room massage therapy.

Ima Sophie + D + J =
#11 of 31 Old 09-15-2010, 12:19 PM

Keep us up to date. Good luck. Have they given you steroids?

I'm holding you and your little one in my thoughts. I hope all goes well. Sending you mature lungs and healthy baby vibes.

#12 of 31 Old 09-28-2010, 11:13 PM - Thread Starter

Gosh, now I'm confused. I met with one of the docs from Obstetrix for a consultation yesterday and she said I was a good candidate for VBAC but she did tell me of their 41 week deadline or a RCS. Ugh. When I asked why the 41 week rule she didn't give me a good explanation.

Maybe I should have gone with Maciulla instead.
#13 of 31 Old 09-29-2010, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMG8 View Post
Gosh, now I'm confused. I met with one of the docs from Obstetrix for a consultation yesterday and she said I was a good candidate for VBAC but she did tell me of their 41 week deadline or a RCS. Ugh. When I asked why the 41 week rule she didn't give me a good explanation.

Maybe I should have gone with Maciulla instead.
So schedule an appt. with him and decide who you like best.

#14 of 31 Old 09-29-2010, 10:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SundayCrepes View Post
So schedule an appt. with him and decide who you like best.
I think I'm going to do that.

Does anyone know whether St. Joe's in Tucson allows VBACs? I've heard great things about St. Joe's and Copperstate OBGYN.
#15 of 31 Old 10-08-2010, 08:21 PM

I was supposed to deliver at the birth center, but my daughter was breech with double nuchal cord. I ended up with a c-section at TMC. I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised. TMC nurses were awesome. They implemented my birth plan 100%. My daughter had no vax's no nursery time, no bath, we breastfed and co-slept while in the hospital and all I got was praise.

Mummy to Samuel 02/08 and new baby Molly- 04/10
#16 of 31 Old 10-16-2010, 10:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
OP, have you found a provider yet for your VBAC?

I have to 2nd the recommendation of Dr. Maciulla. He may be a bit, uniquie, but I've had several clients achieve successful VBAC's with him, even VBAC twins. We've also been able to achieve intermittant monitoring during labor with him. Mamma and I walked circles around the L&D Unit, she'd be monitored for 20 mins and we'd resume walking. She continued that pattern until just before she started pushing.

Angela

Doula2You

#17 of 31 Old 10-16-2010, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMG8 View Post
I think I'm going to do that.

Does anyone know whether St. Joe's in Tucson allows VBACs? I've heard great things about St. Joe's and Copperstate OBGYN.
Last I heard, St. Joe's was not "allowing" vbacs. It could have changed, but I haven't had anyone deliver VBAC there in the recent past.

Angela

Doula2You

#18 of 31 Old 10-21-2010, 11:30 PM

DoulaAngie is the one who initially recommended Maciulla to me, but I've heard from others that he is just as awesome - and unique - as she says.
#19 of 31 Old 11-20-2010, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoulaAngie View Post

OP, have you found a provider yet for your VBAC?

I have to 2nd the recommendation of Dr. Maciulla. He may be a bit, uniquie, but I've had several clients achieve successful VBAC's with him, even VBAC twins. We've also been able to achieve intermittant monitoring during labor with him. Mamma and I walked circles around the L&D Unit, she'd be monitored for 20 mins and we'd resume walking. She continued that pattern until just before she started pushing.

I'm currently with Obstetrix but I'm still thinking about switching.  The further along I get (I'm 17 weeks) the more worried I get about their rules (won't let me go past 41 weeks and won't induce).  do you know if Maciulla has a rule about this?  Will he allow VBAC patients to go past 41 weeks?  And will he induce VBACs instead of saying "Oh well, guess you need a c-section"?  I really want to avoid another c-section.  

Also, can you recommend a good doula?  Are there any in the Sierra Vista area?  So far my search hasn't turned up any, otherwise I'll go with one in Tucson since that's where I will deliver anyway.  

THANKS! 

#20 of 31 Old 02-14-2011, 02:45 PM

DMG,

I've had Maciulla use pitocin on a VBAC, she had rupture of membranes and no ctx. 

I have a lot of VBAC experience and I'm located in Tucson.

There was a student doula in in SV but I'm not sure where's she's at or what she's doing at this point. 

I think that your gut is leading you in a "good" direction.  ;O)

PMed this to you as well as posted.

Angela

Doula2You

#21 of 31 Old 06-04-2012, 12:22 AM

I know this thread is years old, but I'm desperate! I'm just trying to find out if any Drs in Tucson will attend a vaginal birth after 2 c-sections or if that's even allowed at the hospitals there? I know of several docs that do VBACs but I don't know how they look at multiple c/s. Thanks for any advice!
#22 of 31 Old 06-04-2012, 01:28 PM

Valeria,

Dr. Maciulla at UMC is who I would recommend. 

Angela

Doula2You

#23 of 31 Old 06-25-2012, 01:15 PM

I am hoping for a VBAC and am moving to Tucson in about a month, currently 20 weeks. What obgyns are recommended? Experiences you've had those that were hoping for VBAC, were you successful?

#24 of 31 Old 06-25-2012, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrankin01 View Post

I am hoping for a VBAC and am moving to Tucson in about a month, currently 20 weeks. What obgyns are recommended? Experiences you've had those that were hoping for VBAC, were you successful?

The recommendations in this thread are still good ones.  Check them out.

Angela

Doula2You

#25 of 31 Old 06-25-2012, 01:41 PM

Angie, I tried to pm you but the site won't let me. Are you part of a doula network? We are wanting to use a doula but know how to go about pairing up with one.

#26 of 31 Old 06-25-2012, 05:24 PM

I am a Tucon Childbirth educator who teaches VBAC classes at TMC which has a very high success rate of VBAC deliveries.   Check the AZ Daily Star

for the latest blog on VBACs and the Blog on Tucson Medical Center.  Tonight I am teaching a VBAC class at the hospital; There is a charge  of $30 for the VBAC childbirth Class. and it runs form 6:3o to 9 pm   The next Vbac class is Aug 27th .

I would recommend Ironwood and TMC for VBAC deliveries

Marjorie Letson

#27 of 31 Old 06-30-2012, 09:09 AM

I have been looking at all the hospitals in the area and was wondering if anyone knows if any other than St. Josephs has tubs you can relax in during early labor. I am not looking for a water birth just using it as a tool during contractions.

#28 of 31 Old 07-02-2012, 09:19 PM

TMC and Northwest Women's Center have rooms with tubs.  Unlike St. Joe's the tubs are IN the rooms, not located in their own 'tub room".

Angela

Doula2You

#29 of 31 Old 07-17-2012, 11:46 PM

I highly recommend Dr. Maciulla at UMC. There were a couple of times I think other OBs would have went for a section during my recent successful vbac. I had Obstetrix at UMC do my section with my first. Dr M is pretty awesome though, and so is Doula Angie! :)

#30 of 31 Old 07-25-2012, 01:07 PM

Awww thank you MJ!!

Angela

Doula2You

User Tag List