Question about the religious exemption in our state for newborn screening - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 43 Old 10-04-2010, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
No, the antibiotics are fine. I wanted to do oral Vit. K but my midwife told me how in some scandinavian countries research showed it wasn't as effective. It can prevent brain bleeds. i'd research cancer prevention and vitamin k.
That's true, that's my worry with the vit. k, I'll be going on google scholar and type cancer prevention and vitamin k to see if I can find anything. I think my son is teething again, so until that molar ruptures through his gum my time is limited. Thanks again
#32 of 43 Old 10-05-2010, 01:13 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRmama View Post
That's true, that's my worry with the vit. k, I'll be going on google scholar and type cancer prevention and vitamin k to see if I can find anything. I think my son is teething again, so until that molar ruptures through his gum my time is limited. Thanks again
I have better access to my computer now.

http://www.akha.org/content/vaccinations/vitamink.pdf

http://newborns.stanford.edu/VitaminK.html

http://www.adhb.govt.nz/newborn/Guid...d/VitaminK.htm

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#33 of 43 Old 10-05-2010, 01:50 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought if you did the screening tests later (like 5-7 days old) you only have to do it once. I had a homebirth, and so we took the baby into the health dept. to get the screening test done. I was worried about it being traumatic for him, but it went really really well. They gave us a warm compress for his heel before, and then I got all ready to nurse him right before the nurse stuck him. He didn't make so much as a peep when he got stuck, he just latched on and nursed vigorously. He bled really easily too with just the one stick, it seriously took like 15 seconds for her to drop enough blood on the card and that was it. I was so relieved! So, don't fret too much about it being heartbreaking, because it's not always.

Mommy to DS1 bouncy.gifJuly '09 and DS2 baby.gif Oct '12

#34 of 43 Old 10-05-2010, 01:03 PM
Banned

Livia, I'm so sorry to hear about your struggles with docs. I had my fair share of being bullied by OBs and I wasn't even high risk. I can't imagine what it's like dealing with what you're going through.

I have a friend who had an abruption and an early baby with her first and went on to have a successful VBAC full term with her second. Now she is a doula and she has helped lots of moms have VBACs. It is totally possible, and a doctor who tells you it's not isn't worth his salt. I'm glad you're switching and I hope that works out alright for you.

As for the screening, we had Jane in CA, so I'm not sure what the differences are here, but I had her at a FSBC and went to the hospital to do PKU at (IIRC) 6 days old. My MW told me it just had to be done in the first week, and we only had to do it once. We skipped the eye ointment, hep B, but did the Vit K, FWIW, although I have to admit that I didn't do as much reading on that one as I should have.

Def make sure they warm the heel and nurse if you can during the heel stick. The nurse I had for Jane's was terrible and wouldn't even let me hold her . Unfortunately, since I wasn't staying there and we had already been waiting for so long, I didn't want to make a big fuss about getting someone else and I just nursed her right afterward. It was pretty awful, but it's over fast.
#35 of 43 Old 10-06-2010, 03:49 PM

Oh Livia, no wonder you need to vent and feel stressed! You are getting a ton of good advice though, and we are all here to support you

I think checking out other pro-vbac providers is a great idea too.

Mama to Xavian, born 11-24-09
#36 of 43 Old 10-06-2010, 10:46 PM - Thread Starter

SundayCrepes thanks for the sites . I haven't had a chance to look at them yet but I definitely will

Angelorum I'll definitely be nursing him through it. Unfortunately I didn't know that for my first son and it was a little traumatic for him.

Leah I have an apt. with my ob tomorrow and will be talking with him about a vbac and see if he changes his mind. If I leave there more stressed than going in then I'll definitely be switching. BTW that's awesome about your friend. Do you think it's too late for a doula? I don't know any doulas but lately I've been thinking about getting one.

Melissa thanks for the support, it helps to write all these things down here so I can organize my thoughts better.

Thank you again everyone for the support. Like I mentioned my apt. with my ob is tomorrow (I'm so nervous, wish me luck) and if things don't go so smoothly then I'll be switching. Today was a hard day. I started contracting at around five thirty this morning and had to go in to the hospital. They stopped my contractions since I'm early. Everything is better now and baby is fine. The funny thing is (speaking from lack of sleep) when the nurse asked if I needed something for the pain I said no and I was able to work through these contractions. Yeah they were painful but I felt fine in between, nothing like the pain from the abruption I had last year. And on the plus side Landon's tooth came through so he feels better.
#37 of 43 Old 10-06-2010, 11:00 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by InMediasRes View Post
Def make sure they warm the heel and nurse if you can during the heel stick. The nurse I had for Jane's was terrible and wouldn't even let me hold her . Unfortunately, since I wasn't staying there and we had already been waiting for so long, I didn't want to make a big fuss about getting someone else and I just nursed her right afterward. It was pretty awful, but it's over fast.
This is so ridiculous! Poor baby. I didn't even ask, I just held his little foot towards the nurse and undid my bra. She didn't seem to mind, which is good because I am terrible at confrontations. My MIL was there though, she would have stood up for me/baby.

Good luck with your appt tomorrow, and def let us know how it goes! And I'd say if it's not too late to switch docs, it's probably not to late to get a doula on board either.

Mommy to DS1 bouncy.gifJuly '09 and DS2 baby.gif Oct '12

#38 of 43 Old 10-08-2010, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRmama View Post
Leah I have an apt. with my ob tomorrow and will be talking with him about a vbac and see if he changes his mind. If I leave there more stressed than going in then I'll definitely be switching. BTW that's awesome about your friend. Do you think it's too late for a doula? I don't know any doulas but lately I've been thinking about getting one.

Thank you again everyone for the support. Like I mentioned my apt. with my ob is tomorrow (I'm so nervous, wish me luck) and if things don't go so smoothly then I'll be switching.
How did you appt go? Even if he says that you can vbac, I would still switch. He'll only be saying what you want to hear, and then when the time comes, he'll force it on you. I've read way too many stories like that to believe your OB. Please please please switch providers, Livia. You shouldn't be so nervous going to see someone that YOU are paying. He works for you, not the other way around! Also, definitely not too late to get a doula. I found one for a friend of mine 2 days before she went into labor! And she was able to have an amazing natural birth with that extra help. Her doula's name was Kimberly, her number 801-966-5352. She lives in West Jordan, so it'll be pretty close to you. Oh, and I don't know if the midwives take on high risk patients, but I really liked them when we transferred to the hospital. I would totally give them a call and see what they say, since there are OBs in the hospital on call anyway, it's not like it would be really risky to use them. Their number is 507-7070. Also, Dr Draper is the one that did my c-section and I actually really liked him. He was very nice and respectful despite the fact that I was a homebirth transfer. When he thought we didn't have insurance, he was about to waive his fee for the surgery so we wouldn't have to pay it.

We should hang out soon, I can come to you if you don't feel up to going out! I bet the kids would love playing together!

Mama to my little social butterfly 6/13/09

#39 of 43 Old 10-08-2010, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone again for the support.

So yesterday when I got to my appointment I had to wait because he had an unexpected delivery to do. Anyway when he got back it was like a total change from night to day. He was really nice, I think partly because he thinks I'm taking the heparin shots (which I'm not). I asked him about it. He said that he's not ruling it out 100% but that there could be complications because my baby is so huge right now (last we heard he was on the 80%) and he could be a diabetic baby and that brings complications, and they'd have to test him for xyz (can't remember the exact tests he said, but something to do with sugar levels). Then he also said that since I'm on the heparin I have a slight chance of complications at birth.

So dh and I are kind of confused. Well more like he's mad, because when he was at one appt. with me I asked the dr. if my baby will have to be tested for any diabetic issues (because if that were the case I'd be doing it at the peds) and he specifically said NO! He said the reason I measure my blood glucose levels is just as a prevention method because I couldn't do the three hour glucose test. He said I don't have gestational diabetes even though diabetes does run in my family. He's also going off my results from my first pregnancy which is ridiculous because every pregnancy is different and I gained a lot of weight with Landon. Way more than I should have so no wonder I was borderline. Now I'm taking way better care of myself and ALL my numbers are within the normal range. So now all of a sudden my baby has to be tested for diabetic issues? Was anyone planning on telling us about it? Besides there's no history of diabetes on my husband's side. Also with the heparin, I had no idea about slight complications at birth. I'm just not taking it because emotionally it stresses me out and I don't want to stress my baby but now I'm glad I'm not because I don't want any slight complications at birth. I do take other more gentle precautions though.

So yeah I'm switching. Brie, I can't believe that you've read stories like that. How horrible! I definitely don't want to be a victim like any of the women in these stories. Thanks for the numbers too. I'll definitely be calling them. Yeah I really liked dr. Draper, that's awesome that he did your c-section. He was really nice and took my feelings into consideration so in other words there was no pressure from him at all. Especially because he was the only one that thought about testing my blood for any clotting factors and since they all came back negative he said I can be on baby aspirin twice a day.

Anyway we should hangout. Landon needs a friend so desperately lol. He loooves other kids. You guys are always welcome to come here. Lately I've been really tired and I hate going to my prenatals just because I would just rather be home. I do want to go to the LLL meeting next week though. Today I have an appointment for a nst (non stress test) just to be sure the baby is okay per my dr. I wish I could cancel but then they'd charge me a fortune and he made the appointment for me so I'm going but after this I'll just call them back to reschedule a prenatal. According to all the tests they've done the baby is doing great so that puts me at ease too.
#40 of 43 Old 10-08-2010, 05:34 PM

I'm glad you're going to switch doctors.

Just to let you know about testing the baby in case you're gestational diabetic. Your husband's genes have nothing to do with this. What the issue relates to is how much sugar is in your blood.

In diabetics there is lots of sugar. That's why they have fat babies. The babies get lots of extra calories. The babies also pump out insulin to keep their sugar levels at normal levels. When the baby is born, the huge amount of sugar they're constantly getting suddenly goes away. Except their body is used to pumping out insulin for high sugar levels. So, before their bodies can stop making the extra insulin, their sugar levels plummet and they have problems. They do a heelstick blood test, just like the genetic screen test, to make sure the baby isn't getting hypoglycemic. If it is, they will treat it. That could mean sugar water by mouth or IV or formula. I doubt if there's enough milk gotten through nursing to help them. If you are diabetic you do want this testing and interventions. If you're not diabetic it's stupid to do it unless the baby is having problems.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#41 of 43 Old 10-08-2010, 07:25 PM

we did no hep B, no eye goop and just said 'no'. No one batted an eyelid. As for the newborn screen my daughter was in her Moby Wrap and honestly didnt even wake up, she made a slight movement when they poked her heel but just stayed asleep for the entire thing!

Mummy to Samuel 02/08 and new baby Molly- 04/10
#42 of 43 Old 10-09-2010, 10:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SundayCrepes View Post
I'm glad you're going to switch doctors.

Just to let you know about testing the baby in case you're gestational diabetic. Your husband's genes have nothing to do with this. What the issue relates to is how much sugar is in your blood.

In diabetics there is lots of sugar. That's why they have fat babies. The babies get lots of extra calories. The babies also pump out insulin to keep their sugar levels at normal levels. When the baby is born, the huge amount of sugar they're constantly getting suddenly goes away. Except their body is used to pumping out insulin for high sugar levels. So, before their bodies can stop making the extra insulin, their sugar levels plummet and they have problems. They do a heelstick blood test, just like the genetic screen test, to make sure the baby isn't getting hypoglycemic. If it is, they will treat it. That could mean sugar water by mouth or IV or formula. I doubt if there's enough milk gotten through nursing to help them. If you are diabetic you do want this testing and interventions. If you're not diabetic it's stupid to do it unless the baby is having problems.
SundayCrepes thanks for that info. I think exactly like you. If I were diabetic or even had gestational diabetes then yeah by all means please intervene yk? I'm checking my glucose levels with a glucometer just as a precaution as they told me since I couldn't do the glucose test to keep my blood in check. They're also going off of the glucose results from my first pregnancy which I think imo (could be wrong) is insane. My last pregnancy was very different than this one and I had gained a lot of weight more than I should have. Anyway even though it does run in my family I never got diagnosed with it. Then when I asked to have a vbac all of a sudden my baby has to be tested for diabetes factors and because of him being a big baby I could have complications during labor. I had asked him before when I started checking my glucose levels if my baby would have to be tested at all for this and he said no, and that I didn't have gestational diabetes or anything like that. Everything that I was doing was just for precaution. So that's one of the reasons why I'm switching and frankly I'm confused. I think I'm going to talk with our pediatrician and get his opinion because if I don't have gd then I don't see the point of my baby being checked because he's big (I could be wrong though)

Anyway thanks for putting up with me venting, on the plus side the hospital said anything medical that we want to refuse or delay we just need to speak with the nurses so that's good.
#43 of 43 Old 10-09-2010, 10:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbamummy View Post
we did no hep B, no eye goop and just said 'no'. No one batted an eyelid. As for the newborn screen my daughter was in her Moby Wrap and honestly didnt even wake up, she made a slight movement when they poked her heel but just stayed asleep for the entire thing!
Bubbamummy that's a good idea. I'll probably wear him too and nurse him while they are doing it. We're doing a birth plan this time because here last time we declined the hep B (which I now know that we can just refuse it) they pressured us to no end .

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page