Would you recommend moving to Phoenix? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 10-30-2010, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Our family is considering moving to Phoenix, but I'm wondering what it would be like for us. We currently live in North Dakota, and I've been accepted to medical school in Glendale. I really liked it there when I was interviewing, but there are some things I'm not sure about.

I'd really appreciate it if you could give me your opinions on a few things:

1)Schools - we'd have to use public schools since I'd be a poor student

2)Job opportunities for DH - he'd have to find a job, he currently works in bookkeeping, accounting, & human resources. He wouldn't need to make a ton since I'll be getting a good amount of financial aid for living expenses, but would probably need to be able to make at least 30K/yr. He doesn't have a degree but has tons of experience and makes more than that now.

3)Climate - Would it really be that hard to adjust to the hot summers?

4)Crime - Do you feel safe?

5)Vax - Do they allow a philosophical objection? I thought I read they did, and if they do that's a big plus.

I also have another offer in Iowa, but I'd have to vax my kids. I really liked it in Phoenix, but since I was just visiting for a short time I'm not sure what it's like to live there year round.

I have read that some of you hate it there and want to leave, but I was hoping to hear a few more opinions. TIA
#2 of 16 Old 10-30-2010, 05:02 PM

1) Schools in AZ are not the best, in fact we have some of the lowest stats in the country. However, if you live near the college (N Glendale area) that's Deer Valley School District and it has some high ranked schools. The Phoenix/Glendale area also has quite a few charter schools, and some of those are great.

2) Job: Not sure about that one. Like everywhere else there is lots of unemployment. I'd look at: http://phoenix.jobing.com/

3) Climate: ND to AZ is a pretty big change, and whether or not you'd adjust depends on you. Do you like the heat? Personally we moved her b/c of the warmth (from the Mid W) and we love the hot hot. It's a switch, you have to think of summer as indoor time and winter as outdoor, the opposite of ND! Make sure you have vehicles with air conditioning, a house with fans and good air conditioning and you'll be fine. If you can find a community with a pool that would be great too. Glendale has a fabulous community pool right by the college (I'm assuming Midwestern U).

4) Crime: Absolutely safe. The major crime around here (Phoenix area) is kidnapping which is related to drug-trafficking. Not something I'm involved in. Also, living up in N Phoenix or N Glendale is a lot different than some of the other areas with more crime. Just look into the communities before renting or buying a home.

5) vax: I believe they allow for exemptions. I do a delayed vax schedule and have a dr that doesn't pressure me. I have friends who don't vax at all.

We love it here and haven't regretted our move for a second. We wish the housing situation (boom then drop) hadn't happened of course, but we're still happy to be here.

Semi-crunchy Momma to a 4 year old girl and a baby girl born in July of 2011.

#3 of 16 Old 10-30-2010, 05:40 PM

I can't help with the schools because we are HSers.

Yes there is Philosophical exemptions in AZ.

job, I have no idea in the field you were asking about

I always felt safe in Phoenix

climate, you get used to it. It takes awhile though, it is very dry. But the sunsets are gorgeous, and the summer nights feel great to hang out in. If I didn't live here, I'd love to move back to Phoenix.
#4 of 16 Old 10-30-2010, 06:24 PM

I've lived here since 94 (moved from the midwest). I love the weather - yeah, summers are HOT, but you manage. Much like you probably camp inside during ND winters, many stay inside during the heat of the summer. I figure the heat is like paying dues - 3 months of HOT for 9 months of perfect.

Schools - it's tough now. I'm a teacher and have kids in ps. The legislature is very anti education - have cut tons from the budgets, but I think the districts are managing, for the most part. Schools are having a tough time of it nationwide, though. I don't know much about the district you're going to, but there are definitely good and bad districts/schools/teachers.

Crime - yes, there is crime- but there's crime everywhere (my hometown of 30k people just had a very horrific random murder last week). I don't think it's any worse here than anywhere else - I feel safe - my kids are allowed to play outside, etc. I am safe in locking doors, etc., but not any extra precautions.

vax - yes, schools have the philosophical exemption - some might try to give you a hard time, but as long as you know what you're entitled to, they generally leave you alone.

I haven't looked for a job in a while, but there are many, many call centers - most or all of which employ people like your dh. I'd have to guess salary is about the 30k or more, but that's just a guess.

Michelle -mom to Katlyn 4/00 , Jake 3/02, and Seth 5/04
#5 of 16 Old 11-03-2010, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the info.

The school systems were really confusing me. I was having trouble finding information about schools near places we might live. I assumed if you lived in Glendale it would be the Glendale school district, but I guess not. Does anyone know how the schools are funded? Does it all come from the state? Where we live now the schools get money from local property taxes. It's sad that the legislature in AZ doesn't value education.

I don't think my dh would like a call center job, so hopefully there would be something else available if we do move there. He really doesn't need to earn a ton. My fin. aid will cover basic living expenses such as rent & food, but he'd need to earn something for all the extras like clothes, gifts, entertainment, etc.
#6 of 16 Old 11-03-2010, 11:45 PM

AZ has districts, not by city in the Phoenix metro area. Here is a website for the AZ Dept of Education

Deer Valley covers the area right before the college and way up north. If you live south that would be a different one, not sure which.

For funding each district has bonds thru taxes. I'm sure that they also get money from the state as well. But, the the local taxes make a big difference. So the more wealthy areas = better schools. I'm pretty sure that's a nationwide thing. However, in my experience AZ has a lot of pocket areas. So, you might have a fancy neighborhood but within a 1/2 mile there is a trailer park. That mixes up the tax brackets. With Glendale the nicer areas are up north. The higher you go the newer the houses for the most part.

He might be able to get a job at the college, he should check out their website. Also, did you see the job listing site I put on before?

Semi-crunchy Momma to a 4 year old girl and a baby girl born in July of 2011.

#7 of 16 Old 11-04-2010, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the links. I just looked a little at the job site and found something appropriate for dh almost right away. Hopefully there will be some good listings when/if we move next summer. It even paid a little more than he makes now, so maybe I don't have to worry so much. I just hear about the high unemployment in AZ compared to ND, and it concerns me.
#8 of 16 Old 11-10-2010, 06:22 PM

we love it even though we are in the e. valley. my parents are in glendale so we are frequently out that way. yeah its hot but right now it is amazing!! i do miss "seasons" but honestly i doubt we will ever live somewhere else. travel a lot yes, but move permanently- doubt it. if you have any other questions feel free to pm me. smile.gif

mama to one '07 and one '09
#9 of 16 Old 11-10-2010, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zersha View Post

1)Schools - we'd have to use public schools since I'd be a poor student.  You can use charters too since they are free.  The Peoria school district is rated well.  There are lots of great charter schools too.  There is a new democratic school in Phoenix, a Wladorf charter, and Montessori charters.  The M charters are a drive from Glendale though.

2)Job opportunities for DH - try big companies like U of Phx online, USAA

3)Cllimate - Would it really be that hard to adjust to the hot summers?  I moved from NY 2 yrs ago in July which can be tough, but we adjusted fine. It depends on the person

4)Crime - Do you feel safe? YES!

5)Vax - Do they allow a philosophical objection? No problems with exemptions here.

Victoria, natural childbirth educator and certified labor doula
#10 of 16 Old 11-13-2010, 02:22 PM

You would have the Deer Valley and Peoria School districts nearby, both excelling districts along with a huge range of charter options (Challenge Charter- down the street fom the med school and a national ranking school.)  Basis Peoria and Glendale Prep will both be nearby for Secondary school Charter options.  However, the public schools again are very high performing to excelling in that area.  

In terms of DH jobs some big companies to look at , even for accounting type jobs, are USAA, American Express, Discover Card (all located close to the med school).  Troon Golf, Banner Medical, and University of Phoenix are also some large companies in the Metropolitan area that are very large, and therefore have more hiring than other companies.  I would check out their websites for hiring options. 

Yeah the summers are hot but we do not have the horribly cold winters.  We are perfect here except for July-Sept.  No place is perfect weather except CA, and then we could only afford a cardboard box.  If you get too hot, you can drive an hour and a half and be up in the forest.  Gotta love Flagstaff, Prescott, and Sedona.

Crime - There is as much as you would find in any large city.  We are one of the biggext in the country.  But with that, we have lots of museums, educational opportunities, entertainment etc. 

I LOVE Phoenix and have been here my entire life.  I especially love the Arrowhead area by where the med school is. 

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
Mark Twain
#11 of 16 Old 11-13-2010, 06:11 PM

I havent read all the responses but I have been here since 1987 and live in that area.

Crime is not bad up here. And there are some really good charter schools right around there.

Yes its hot. Dont let the "its a dry heat" fool you. So is my oven and I dont wanna climb in there. But you get used to it. And only 3 months are really bad. Right now it is BEAUTIFUL :)

Yes there is a vax wavier. Sign it, hand it back to the school nurse, your done.

There are jobs here. And some really good staffing agencies depending on what you are looking for. 

Since the housing market crashed you can get some amazing deals on homes here if you are buying. Rentals are pretty cheap, and apts run AWESOME move in deals.

*~Kelly~*
 Waldorf Mom to 9 blessings ~6 by birth and 3 by fost/adopt~

#12 of 16 Old 11-16-2010, 08:17 AM

I LOVE phoenix! I lived there for 7 yrs and then moved back to KS (where I'm from) last year. We're moving back in Dec. bc we miss it so much and I'm so excited! The weather's fine, if you like heat. There really is a difference in dry heat, I promise! Here in the midwest you sweat as soon as you walk outside in the summer, there, you can stand in the shade and it's OK(well, bareable sometimes). What sucks is that the summer lasts forever.'

Anyway, you have sun, mountains, palm trees, a beach 5 hrs away, Vegas 4 hrs away, and cooler temps just an hour or two. What could be better? Plus there's tons of stuff and lots of "natural" ppl. The sun also makes ppl happierpinktongue.gif

Lovin my boys jumpers.gifDH, DS1 (4/7/10), and DS2 (2/19/12)...and - surprise! - another on the way
#13 of 16 Old 11-30-2010, 12:26 PM

I wouldn't move here again and I wouldn't recommend moving here to even my least favorite people.  We moved here in Jan. of 09 and while this is a beautiful state, it doesn't make up for racism that is incredibly prevalent here.  

Crime depends on where you land at, I feel/am safe in my neighborhood but compared to where I've lived in the past, it is worse here than elsewhere.  I don't see a bunch of crime from drug runners but I see  DV, sexual assult/rape and kidnapping of children by pedophiles here, more than I've ever seen elsewhere. 

If you have dust allergies, it will be murder on you here, there are also so many non-native plants that allergies overall are a problem.  Asthma also seems to bother people more out here, probably for the same reasons.  Watch out for the wacked HOA's/planned communities, I guess so many people are losing their homes that the HOA's are trying to keep from going belly up by really going after every. single. tiny. violation.  We got fined for putting our garbage can out the night before (I  am talking at 9 or 10 pm) instead of at 5 am on collection day.  We left the kids bikes out on our front porch and got fined for it.  Needless to say, we don't live there anymore.

In the Wash. Elem. School district, elem. school starts at 7:30a...it SUCKS!  The schools here are not good (my oldest attended Deer Valley District) and if that is what is considered a "good" district then :scared:  I love my twins Kindy teacher but I really don't appreciate the 15 pages of "family homework" we receive EVERY week.   Our school in order to help increase grades has taken to mandatory homework, my boys who were excited about learning now tell me that they hate school and don't want to go every day.  I hear that the amount of homework increases with age.  I don't have a problem with homework, but I expect it in moderation, we will be moving again in June to get out of this district and it's craziness. 

Vaccines are exempted here at your discretion but they will harass you a bit.

#14 of 16 Old 12-02-2010, 11:15 PM

Hi zersha, I've lived in AZ all my life.  For the past 20 years I've lived in the Arrowhead area of Glendale.  I've also been a public school teacher for the past 15 years in Glendale (Peoria mostly).  If you haven't moved yet and need more help feel free to pm me.  I check MDC daily smile.gif

Kate, Wife to DH and Mommy to a 5yo lovin' DS; three angels 4/08 9/08 3/10 in Heaven,
waitin' for my baby

#15 of 16 Old 12-22-2010, 03:27 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zersha View Post

Our family is considering moving to Phoenix, but I'm wondering what it would be like for us. We currently live in North Dakota, and I've been accepted to medical school in Glendale. I really liked it there when I was interviewing, but there are some things I'm not sure about.

1)Schools - we'd have to use public schools since I'd be a poor student

2)Job opportunities for DH - he'd have to find a job, he currently works in bookkeeping, accounting, & human resources. He wouldn't need to make a ton since I'll be getting a good amount of financial aid for living expenses, but would probably need to be able to make at least 30K/yr. He doesn't have a degree but has tons of experience and makes more than that now.

3)Climate - Would it really be that hard to adjust to the hot summers?

4)Crime - Do you feel safe?

5)Vax - Do they allow a philosophical objection? I thought I read they did, and if they do that's a big plus.

I also have another offer in Iowa, but I'd have to vax my kids. I really liked it in Phoenix, but since I was just visiting for a short time I'm not sure what it's like to live there year round.

I have read that some of you hate it there and want to leave, but I was hoping to hear a few more opinions. TIA

Hi - I thought I responded to you but I guess I didnt.  I dont know if you decided on what your plans are but here is my take on Phx.

Schools... ummmm well I'm a teacher and my 10 yr old DS is homeschooled.  There are charter schools available, many with no tuition, but just like public schools they are getting a bit heavy on the fees.

Jobs- we have a number of Accountemp type agencies that may help your DH find a job but the PHX area is very call center orientied.  Sorry to say but thats just the way the valley is.  Oh the pay??  "We pay you with sunshine".

The Weather- no more difficult than adjusting to the blizzard and frozen tundra of the midwest LOL.  Honestly in the summer we hibernate inside and pay a hefty electric bill.

Crime- well the economy isn't exactly flourishing so crime is up however this is a major city just a few hours from the border.  (We do have a border issue and we are a border state).  Like a PP said you could have a 500k HOA then right next door have a trailer park.  There is no rhyme or reason to urban planning around here- at least that I can figure out.

Vax- we have exemptions. Just 'fill out the form'

I've been here since the summer of 1999 and while its not ideal I like it better than the midwest. 

What doesnt work well? Public transportation IMO, the bus system is awful if you need a transfer etc. and being up near arrowhead buses are limited to begin with. 

What I liked most about the 'call center' jobs I had was many of them were on East Coast time so I could work 5am shifts (8am EST) and be done early. This town starts early, rush hour starts before 5am some days!

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#16 of 16 Old 12-22-2010, 03:31 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

I just remembered that Med School does not have a library that I am aware of. I see the students at the glendale library all the time.  The glendale library has cut funding and its not open 7 days a week and it closes early most days.  The phoenix library has the same problem.  (just something to keep in mind)

www.Glendaleaz.com/library

http://www.phoenixpubliclibrary.org/default.jsp  

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page