Any UC families in Tucson? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 10-31-2010, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I support families in my community around their birth time, mostly in midwife- attended homebirth settings, but in other situations too. Recently I have been in communication with a couple of moms who have had unattended births and are struggling to understand exactly how to go about getting birth certificates. I have some knowledge, but it mostly stems from experiences with this situation a few years ago, so...

Anyone out there recently had a UC and found your way through the system in terms of what you need to get the birth certificate? Any current information or suggestions from anyone who has done it would be helpful!

Thanks,
Sarah
#2 of 4 Old 11-08-2010, 06:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Go to vital records, they will tell you what they want. Like proof of residence , citizenship, within the first 7 days easier process than later or atleast it is for LM clients, after the first 7 days even for LM clients they want prenatal records perhaps extensive proof of residency and residence at the time of Birth... Who ever is with mom at time of birth can be a witness, but careful if you go to many don't be the wittness. I have seen less hastle for military families cuz proof of citizenship issues are not the same and they have a way to track you down.
#3 of 4 Old 11-10-2010, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

In reply to my own post, here is the update from the UC family I mentioned.  I hope it may be of use for anyone who goes through this process:

"We made an appointment with the Chief Deputy Local Registrar in Tucson AZ. She told us the documentation we would need and scheduled an interview time. We met with her and she looked over our documentation and then we filled out the birth cert form.  During the whole process I was upfront about doing a freebirth/UC and everyone was surprisingly supportive/non-judgmental.''

you need:
* utility bills/rent mortgage receipt for month the baby was born ( to establish residency)
* proof of pregnancy (to establish pregnancy)
* a well baby check ( which can be done by Dr.or midwife)
* a post partum check (done by OB or midwife)
* driver's liscense or passport (identification of parents)
#4 of 4 Old 11-16-2010, 11:37 PM

It's been about 3 yrs for me but it was surprisingly easy.  We were military at the time so that probably helped as well.  We made sure to have it done within 7 days of the birth.  Dh is the one who did it all, but he signed as a witness and my midwife wrote a letter stating she had been my midwife since I was 20 weeks, and that she missed the birth but arrived about 30 minutes after the baby was born and did an exam.  They took it without question. 

I'm surprised AZ is so easy for UC birth considering all the border issues but I'm definitely thankful it was so simple and no one seemed judgy at all which is nice as well. 

Rachel, mom to Jake (5/04) and Alexia (7/07) a surprise UC thanks to hypnobabies!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page