Homebirth Midwives in Ogden - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-01-2011, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I have an appointment with Chris ****** next week for our initial consultation and we'll probably go with her. I was just curious if there are any other homebirth midwives that deliver in the Ogden area so I can know my options?

Superherolactivist.gif and mother to Peanut (03/20/09) and Twig (01/20/2012). Fighting for the rights of mothers out there who winner.jpg selectivevax.gif fly-by-nursing2.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpg and much more! mdcblog5.gif 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 01-10-2011, 04:06 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)

There are a few other midwives in the area. Melissa Mayo is great; she works with Chris. Also there's Heather Johnston. She is state certified, which has benefits and drawbacks. I interviewed bothe Chris and Heather, and have had some good conversations with Melissa. Here are some basic pros and cons that I have come away with.

Heather pros- she is very thourough, and goes over each decision (lab-work, tests, etc,) with you. She lets you know what to expect, and what decisions there are to be made. She also is quite knowledgeable about herbs, both for during pregnancy and the postpartum recovery.

Heather cons- she has a much higher transfer (to the hospital) rate than Chris, but not better outcomes. She also does not do twin births. Part of this is because she is state certified, but she also said that she wouldn't be comfortable dealing wiht many of those situations, anyway, and would want to transfer to the hospital. She also doesn't seem quite as accepting if you decide to go agaist something that she has recommended.

Chris pros- she is the most experienced homebirth midwife in Utah. She has an incredibely low transfer rate as she is quite competent in handling many situations safely at home that others may transfer for. She is very accepting and supportive of the decisions that each individual family makes regarding their pregnancy and delivery.

Chris cons- she doesn't offer as much information about many of the decisions that there are to make during pregnancy, and labor and delivery, and postpartum, the way that Heather does, so for a first time mom, you may need to really do your research.

They are both very competent midwives, and chances are, you would have a great experience with either one.

Good-luck making your decision!

Melissa Wife to DH, Mom to DS (6) and DD (3) We are a homebirthing, no vax, intact, devoutly LDS happy family!

#3 of 5 Old 01-11-2011, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Thank you so much! That is exactly what I needed! 

I had to cancel my meeting with Chris because I have the flu, but I'm thinking that if I like her that I'll go with her. I feel pretty confident in my ability to research decisions so long as I'm given some time and this will be my second time in the whole pregnancy game, so hopefully I've already done a lot of the research. I also really, really do not want to transfer. I hated transferring with my last (accidental home birth) and how they treated me at the hospital. I also hated that I had to go to a not-baby-friendly certified hospital. 

Superherolactivist.gif and mother to Peanut (03/20/09) and Twig (01/20/2012). Fighting for the rights of mothers out there who winner.jpg selectivevax.gif fly-by-nursing2.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpg and much more! mdcblog5.gif 

#4 of 5 Old 02-17-2011, 01:06 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Just wanted to clarify some things - I'm a CBE, doula, and homebirthing mom that has worked with most of the midwives in Northern Utah. Chris ****** is exceptional but I didn't feel like Heather got enough credit in the previous post. She has not "certified" by the state. She is licensed. That means she legally carries medications used during labor and birth and has to comply with certain standards. It's true that because of this she has some limitations. She is extremely hands off and pro-family and is open to anything a parent wants. That is her big mission in life - informed consent and support of the ultimate choice.

Melissa Mayo actually lives further south but does sometimes come up here for births. She is also amazing!

Here are a few more names

Reta Preece 801-415-9888 (SLC)

Camille Jarman  801-390-5216 (Bountiful)

There is also a midwife that just moved to Bountiful from out of state. I think Camille would have her number. I highly recommend chatting with a few different people to find your match. I really wanted someone who was really knowledgeable and experienced but who had a philosophy that matched my own - that birth was normal and that it's best left unhindered. I chose Heather as a midwife because she knows a ton about natural things. She also teaches a lot of classes because of her extensive knowledge and training about complications in birth. The biggest thing is that she left all decisions up to me and she never interfered in the birth process. I don't want someone who does vaginal exams routinely, checks before pushing, or who catches lots of babies.

#5 of 5 Old 09-09-2014, 09:55 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What about someone who is SUPER cheap?

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page