Looking for recomedations for VBACs in Tucson, AZ - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-02-2011, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am 15 weeks pg with my second child, first pg ended with a emergency c-section due to fetal distress and a lot of blood loss.  I have been seeing a doctor since 5 weeks and after going through my record he has said I am a candidate for a VBAC since the reasons for my c-section are not likely to occur again.

Ideally I wanted a VBAC, at St. Joe's hospital with a female OBGYN (I wanted St. Joe's because I had such a great experience with my first child there, and I felt very comfortable there)

Well if I want a VBAC the only Doc at St. Joe's that does VBACs and excepts my ins. is a male, and since I wanted a VBAC I sucked it up and decided to see a male doctor.

From the beginning the staff has been horrible, they are disorganized and at times rude.  I have gone to 3 apts and each time they have told me my apt is at x time and I show up about 15 mins early and they tell me oh you are mistaken your apt is actually at y time, which is 2+ hrs later.  The thing is I may have made a mistake once, but they give me an apt reminder card and they call the day before to confirm and it is at x time and when they tell me I am wrong they get an attitude and tell me they are sorry and there is nothing they can do, and if it is such a problem for me I should call the morning of my apt and double check.  Also anytime I call it takes a minimum of 24 hrs for me to receive a call back, which at 15 weeks is not a big deal, but later on that could be an issue.  As far as the Doc, he seems nice and the first apt he was supportive of a VBAC, but the last 2 apt he has made comments like if I still decide to do a VBAC, that he would not recommend one for his wife and keeps making comments about us needing to sit down at talk about the risks.  I agree about talking about the risk, but he wants to put it off, I think he thinks I will just change my mind and he wont have to do a VBAC.  I get the feeling now that no matter what I will end up with a c-section because he will come up with a reason that my body wont be able to handle a VBAC.

Because of this I have decided I need to change my OB, which leaves me needing to decide between TMC and UMC since there are no other doctors who will take me at St. Joe's.  I need advice on which hospital is better, on paper they are similar, so I would like personal recommendations.

Some ?s

Which hospital did you deliver at, did you like it?

Who was your doctor, did you like him/her?

Was the nurses and techs nice, did they listen to your requests?

After you delivered and were moved to your "recovery" room, did you get a private room?

How was the hospital about visitors, where they very strict about time and number of people?

Also any advice on VBACs in Tucson from people with experience or are "in the know" would be greatly appreciate, like which doctor would you recommend and which hospital is the most equipped for a VBAc?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2011, 04:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I'm a doula who has been practicing here in Tucson for +10 years.  I have quite a bit of experience with VBAC as well.

I'd recommend Crossroads OB/GYN, Dr. Reinhart or Chin, delivering at TMC.  Or Dr. Maciulla at UMC.  I've had great VBAC births with intermittant monitoring at UMC with Dr. M.  Even twin VBAC with him.  I've also had equally as great births with Dr. R and Dr. C at TMC.

Both hospitals have standard "policies" about continuous fetal monitoring for VBAC, IV, etc but as with any birthing location you can negotiate or outright decline those interventions you aren't comfortable with.

St. Joe's is not supportive at all IME of VBAC.  I'd much perfer to be at TMC and then UMC, and I've also had great experiences at Northwest Women's Center.

The other option is to use the midwives at the Birth & Women's Health Center and deliver with them at TMC.  However, I'd be sure to ask a lot of questions about their policies and their back up physician's policies.  I know if you make it to your due date the pressure from the backup OBs increases to just schedule a cesarean.  Possible big baby has the same pressures.  Otherwise they'd be my very first choice.

Angela

Doula2You

Old 02-02-2011, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you, with the research I have done I was leaning  towards Dr. Maciulla at UMC, so I am glad that someone with your experience is recommending him as well. 

How are the nurses and techs at UMC and TMC are they, for the most part, like the doctors and supportive of a VBAC and do they listen to you, IE when you say you don't want your baby to get formula, bottles, pacifiers etc.

Also after you deliver are you moved to a private room, or do you have to share. (This question has to to do more about visitors because we have a large family who will be coming by to visit and I don't want to make a roommate mad or uncomfortable and then they end up complaining)

Old 07-23-2011, 08:38 PM

Hi, I live near Tucson and am researching a VBAC at this time.  I am not yet pregnant as I absolutely do not want another cesarian.  Did you decide to go with Dr. M at UMC?  If so how have things gone, have you delivered?  I hope this note finds you well and hope that you can offer some guidance as well.  Thank you.

Old 09-18-2011, 12:20 AM

Bump

Resistance is futile Matey
Old 11-28-2011, 06:36 PM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)

I had my VBAC with Dr.Maciulla 10/26/11.... I felt very supported and it was a very empowering experience!!  If I am still in Tucson when I decide to have my next child he is the only OB I will see!!

Mama to my angel baby Drew (9/22/06), Alexia (10/26/11) , and hoping for a in 3/2015!!

Old 01-11-2012, 10:12 AM

You should check out the ICAN facebook, I think that there are some Tuscon VBAC Mamas on there. I saw a thread about supportive docs/hospitals...

Search for ICAN of Phoenix :)

Old 08-11-2014, 03:52 PM

Hey I know this is an old thread.. but asking for some same help again! Any VBACs help in tucson?
Old 08-12-2014, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruchika N Sharma View Post
Hey I know this is an old thread.. but asking for some same help again! Any VBACs help in tucson?
DR Moreno at UMC is VBAC supportive and I've done a number of successful VBACS w her there. There are several docs at TMC but some are in group practices that share call ad that makes things a little tricky when one goes into labor as you don't know who you are going to get and practice styles vary greatly.

There's also the el rio midwives who deliver at TMC and who are VBAC supportive.

Hope that helps!

Angela

Doula2You

Old 08-29-2014, 04:03 PM

I delivered my first w/ the midwives at the Tucson Birth Center (El Rio), and they are fantastic. I then got pg w/ twins and delivered w/ Dr. Maciulla. I chose him primarily b/c he was the only OB a friend of mine could find who would do a VBAC on her twin pregnancy. She had a successful VBAC w/ her twins. He was also open to breech delivery and unmedicated. He does swear on occasion in his appointments, but he is such an expert and I really liked him.

Mama to my sweet sea-blue-eyed girl (2/06) and my hilarious mz dd twins (1/09) who keep me running.
Old 10-21-2014, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragola3 View Post
I delivered my first w/ the midwives at the Tucson Birth Center (El Rio), and they are fantastic. I then got pg w/ twins and delivered w/ Dr. Maciulla. I chose him primarily b/c he was the only OB a friend of mine could find who would do a VBAC on her twin pregnancy. She had a successful VBAC w/ her twins. He was also open to breech delivery and unmedicated. He does swear on occasion in his appointments, but he is such an expert and I really liked him.
How was your stay at UMC? I am just getting started with my pregnancy.
I am setup to see Dr Moreno in early december as she has pretty hectic
schedule. I have not heard good things about their rooms in labor and delivery.
I am going to get a tour of the suite soon.
Old 10-21-2014, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoulaAngie View Post

DR Moreno at UMC is VBAC supportive and I've done a number of successful VBACS w her there. There are several docs at TMC but some are in group practices that share call ad that makes things a little tricky when one goes into labor as you don't know who you are going to get and practice styles vary greatly.

There's also the el rio midwives who deliver at TMC and who are VBAC supportive.

Hope that helps!
Yes I have heard good things about Dr. Moreno and hence have scheduled
a visit with her. She has pretty hectic schedule. Looking forward to see and meet her.

User Tag List