C Section at TMC - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 02-06-2011, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Anyone given birth here recently? (2011)

i know they take away the baby for 2 hrs. Don't like it, but have few options. After that, does baby stay in mother's room or do they get shuttled back to nursery unless mom is breastfeeding?

Can't do St.Joe's because I am getting a tubal ligation, and apparently the Catholic hosp. does not do it.

Can't do UMC either most likely, i heard they just switched to fewer nurses on the floor and in the nursery there, so UMC is possibly worse now.

#2 of 5 Old 02-06-2011, 06:36 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I worked at TMC and UMC 20 years ago.  I left TMC because I couldn't stand how they treated patients that didn't do what they were told. I loved UMC because I thought the staff was much more pt oriented. Every contact I've had with both hospitals in the last couple decades has always reconfirmed that.

I just went to UMC's website. It says their nurse pt ratio is 1:4. That's pretty amazing.

If you do deliver at TMC, talk with your pediatrician about supporting your decision to not take away your baby. INSIST that the baby go to recovery with you (unless there are legitimate problems either of you is having.)

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#3 of 5 Old 02-14-2011, 11:04 AM

I agree with sundaycrepes about UMC. I'm a birth doula, and I've had not so good experiences with TMC in the last year or so. UMC seems much more progressive and focused on treating patients as people. The staff at TMC prepares every mother walking in the door for a cesarean by refusing to let them eat or drink. Most of the doctors there seem to want their patients to stay in bed with continuous monitoring etc. As a doula, my job is much harder at TMC.

Swell Doula Service

Birth - Postpartum - Placenta Encapsulation 

nocirc.gif  winner.jpg  slinggirl.gif

#4 of 5 Old 02-14-2011, 01:38 PM

I've been a doula in Tucson for over a decade now.

My experiences do not mimic Swell's or Sunday's.  I much prefer TMC over UMC.  Northwest is also a great hospital for giving birth.  St. Joe's is good, but they don't do VBAC.  However, they are one of two local hospitals that have telemetry monitoring, so I give them an extra point for that.  I've had two of my 3 babies at TMC, one at Northwest.

However, both TMC and UMC will separate mom and baby when mom is moved to her postpartum room.  Average time apart can be 2+ hours depending on how busy they are.  Dad/Partner can go with baby, but they still separate.  Of course as with anything it is possible to avoid this if baby is fine, but it takes a lot of advocacy. 

If you want to avoid separation entirely and not have to do a lot of advocacy to keep baby with you for that time, then Northwest Women's Center is a viable alternative.  Baby is checked briefly in the nursery as mom is undergoing repair, and then mom and baby are reunited in the post-op recovery room and stay together from there unless there is something wrong with the baby.

Angela

Doula2You

#5 of 5 Old 02-19-2011, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoulaAngie View Post

However, both TMC and UMC will separate mom and baby when mom is moved to her postpartum room.  Average time apart can be 2+ hours depending on how busy they are.  Dad/Partner can go with baby, but they still separate.  Of course as with anything it is possible to avoid this if baby is fine, but it takes a lot of advocacy

Back to update this post.

With a vaginal birth, there is no longer any separation of mom/baby at UMC.  2-3 weeks ago they converted to couplet care.

However there is still a separation of about 2 hours if baby is born by cesarean, however that's after mom & baby have had time to bond and breastfeed in recovery, before mom is moved downstairs to her postpartum room.

Angela

Doula2You

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page