U of U vs LDS Hospital for natural birth and midwife recommendation - - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 03-05-2011, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've heard these two hospitals are the best for natural births in the Salt Lake area. Does anyone have info to share. I birthed my first two at St. Marks - First with an OB, then I wised up and got a midwife for second baby - all natural HypnoBabies birth was amazing!!! That being said, The only negative aspects of his birth were related to hospital protocol. My Midwife (Vicki O'Neal CNM) was truly amazing, but I just don't know that I want to do St. Mark's again or if any other hospital is really going to be different? We got to the hospital just twenty minutes before he was born as my pattern never got consistent. Because of that, I almost wonder if we should plan for the possibility of unassisted childbirth since I feel this next baby might want to be born before we get to the hospital, so I think we ought to get educated about how to do it, should we not get to the hospital on time. I'm rambling, but any information would be of assistance. I need midwife and hospital recommendations. UC info would be good, too. 

#2 of 9 Old 03-06-2011, 07:03 PM

My last 2 were at the U. I liked the care there plus they are the only baby friendly certified hospital in the state so they are very pro breastfeeding and rooming in, didn't even mind me cosleeping with my babies. The midwife group there is great, the ones I've seen are Lisa Barnes and Claudia Gerard and I really liked both. They were supprtive of natural birth and vba2c. I had to switch to an OB when we found out we were having twins and she was even supportive of vba2c with twins, which I ended up doing completely natural because I was pushing when we got to the hospital.

Kara mommy to Jason 9/27/04 ribboncesarean.gif, Jacob 6/1/06 vbac.gif, Nathan 11/13/08 ribboncesarean.gif, and twin boys Isaac and Caleb born 1/10/11 vbac.gif
#3 of 9 Old 03-08-2011, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter

kitkat5505,

How are they about checking up on you after birth? St. Mark's had a new protocol about checking us like every hour or so. It was one of the things that drove me the most crazy. Since the birth went so well, i didn't even feel like I had given birth AKA no trauma or complications, so I felt great, and I couldn't understand why they wouldn't let us sleep. We finally got them to do nursery check-ups for baby and my check-ups at the same time so it wasn't as constant. When you gave birth, were they pushing to get you on an iv and monitor and all that or did they recognize it was happening now and that wasn't the important part at the time? I got to the hospital fully dilated with my baby partially descended, so I was frustrated that they wanted me to get in a gown, lay down, strap me to monitors, and give me an IV. It was pretty funny, looking back because the head nurse recognized all the others were just adding to the chaos and stress and kicked them out. :) Then my midwife got there and things calmed down a lot. I thought St. Mark's was pretty supportive of breastfeeding, although one paranoid nurse wanted me to give my little one sugar water, since she thought he wasn't eating often enough the first day.. I ended up signing a waiver and he later got a blood sugar test. He ended up being fine, and had gained weight before we left the hospital. That same nurse also told me my baby was unclean since I wouldn't let her take him to give him a bath right away. They ended up coming to our room to do all of the necessary stuff and we never had to separate. so that was a plus. Like I said, I loved my midwife but not sure if all hospital protocol is like that or if it varies. Congrats on your VBAC and your beautiful babies.

#4 of 9 Old 03-09-2011, 06:51 PM

Well my experience is probably different than normal because I was having twins. I was fine with IV and monitoring because I knew things were a little riskier. We arrived and I stripped off my clothes and threw on the gown because I don't mind hospital gowns and didn't want my clothes getting gross lol. They took me back to the OR (they deliver all twins in the OR just in case) then put monitors on the babies. First baby was out in abougt 10mins of pushing and then in the break between babies they got the IV going. I honestly don't remember what/if anything was put in my IV, though I know by the time they took me back to my room there was no IV going, just the heploc. They did check on me frequently the first few hours because they wanted to make sure my stretched out uterus was shrinking ok (and I did end up getting 2 shots in my thigh to help because it was still "boggy" as they called it after a few hours). The only thing I hated was the night nurse doing her checkups. She always came around 10-12 and it took her 2 freaking hours to do her thing while I was just trying to get some sleep. The only times the babies left my sight was for 1/2hr after they were born they needed to have their breathing monitored, and then right before we left when they were circumsized, and both times my DH was with them. They didn't even get a bath until the next day and they did it in our room. They encourage skin-to-skin and breastfeeding as soon as possible after the birth also.

Kara mommy to Jason 9/27/04 ribboncesarean.gif, Jacob 6/1/06 vbac.gif, Nathan 11/13/08 ribboncesarean.gif, and twin boys Isaac and Caleb born 1/10/11 vbac.gif
#5 of 9 Old 03-17-2011, 04:37 PM

My boy was born at the birth center but one of my midwives there now works at the UofU. Try to go with Honey Newton if you can. She is awesome! smile.gif

Formerly known as "JessicaRenee".  hang.gif  Single mama to Jude (Sept '09)!  biggrinbounce.gif

#6 of 9 Old 04-14-2011, 11:59 AM

My midwife is Vicki O'Neal as well and I LOVE HER!! Because she works out of St Marks, I will deliver there again, juts for her. I lvoed her medical assistant Dee as well, she was great and always treated me with respect and made me feel like all of my questions were important to her. She always called me right back and was always smiling and happy to see us. Vicki is so relaxed but very professional.The two of them make a great team. Vicki made my last delivery so relaxed and comfortable. As far as the nurses go, I had a birth plan made out and I demanded they follow it. My husband took control when our baby was born and the nurses backed off. Vicki really made sure our desires were followed. My sister had a Vbac with a doc from IMC and HATED it. He was horrible to her and her husband and after only an hour of labor told her she had to have a c-section. When she refused he walked away and the oncall doctor delivered instead. I would go with St Marks for Vicki and just make suer you have the upper hand with the nurses. I had a great experience and am very glad we made our choices the way we did.

#7 of 9 Old 05-17-2011, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter

to update everyone, 

We decided on a homebirth midwife, which I never thought I or my husband would feel so good about. Her name is Raeann Peck, she has been a midwife for over thirty years and delivered over 600 babies and has had good outcomes with all of them. She is a very spiritual LDS midwife which I love. We have had some amazing conversations and my initially reluctant husband really likes her and feels good about her. She only charges $1300 which includes prenatal, birth, and postnatal care. I was really floored when she told me her price since it is about half of what most other home birth midwives charge. She said she hasn't felt the need to increase it when she gets to be involved in such a miracle. She feels like it's her calling from God to help women with their births. She lives out in Kearns and does some appointments at your house, some at hers. She has trained one of the midwives I had heard such good things about that charges twice as much. All in all, I really feel great about her, but I'm trying to decide which hospital (LDS or U) would be good for a backup just in case an emergency arises. After my last birth, I keep getting a strong feeling like my next baby will come even faster this time and that I need to be prepared in case the baby decides to come at home. Since I am due Nov 30th and I know I will go over dates (I have been 9days and 7days over with my other 2 babies). I can just imagine running all of the red lights on a slick icy road in a blizzard and having the baby at the side of the road or getting in a wreck on the way to the hospital if I don't listen to this feeling I keep getting and just plan for the homebirth. 

Thank you for all the input about LDS vs U hospital. I am considering Diane Heubusch at LDS as a backup because I have heard such great things about her, but the U is closest to us in case we had an emergency during birth? 

#8 of 9 Old 05-19-2011, 12:38 PM
JMJ

I used the U as my back-up.  It's really hard to get somebody to tell you that they'll back you up for a homebirth.  I wasn't able to get somebody in particular.  However, with the U as a back-up you can transfer directly into midwife care even if you come in unannounced (ie. homebirth transfer).  You also get about the same care as you would if you had planned to work with them originally because they all back each other up and take shifts, so you'd get whoever was there when you showed up anyway.  Add that to the fact that it is a "baby-friendly" hospital, and it was most certainly my first choice for a back-up even though I live a little closer to LDS and would drive right past SL Regional on the way up to the U.

#9 of 9 Old 06-01-2011, 09:36 AM

The U was my backup when I had to transfer from a birth center with #3 and they treated us great, no flack for being an out-of-hospital birth transfer.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page