Bullhead City, AZ area - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 03-20-2011, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

hey, anyone around Bullhead City? I'm feeling very much "one of these things is not like the others" around here and would love to chat with or even meetup with some likeminded mamas in the area.

We just moved to town and people are trying to be nice to us so far, but they look at me like I have 3 heads whenever I start talking. Today, I was actually laughed at for wishing I could get raw milk in the area...and ds was told he was a "lost and wayward sheep" that needed to "come unto Christ" because we homeschool...IN church today! O.o

Darn us heathenous homeschoolers with our unclean addictions to whole, organic, unaltered foods! LOL

There's a yoga studio near our new place, and I've never really caught that bug but I think I'm going to take a class and see how that goes. I would LOVE if there were an MDC mama nearby though! =D

Affordable organics delivered from GREEN POLKADOT BOX

Wife to jammin.gif Beast 

Mama to guitar.gif Crash (14) and hippie.gifSpritely (12)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 03-25-2011, 01:22 AM

I'm new here (and sort of new to the area) ... not in Bullhead, but in Havasu, so not too far!  We moved here in December Texas.  Ppl have been looking at me like I have 3 heads for YEARS!! lol

#3 of 7 Old 03-25-2011, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter

Well, ya...me too, but I can usually find some kind of common ground with people. Around here, having a dog seems to be the best I can come up with...then they find out he's a big dog, not a little one like they all have...and we lose that too! lol

Have you found a CSA or community farm or food coop or anything in your area? I can't find anything around here.

Wife to jammin.gif Beast 

#4 of 7 Old 03-25-2011, 11:20 AM

Don't know much about Havasu yet, huh? lol  We are the minority because we are in our 20's/30's!!  Most people here are retiree's or visiting on spring break.  I haven't found much in the way of natural anything except the scenery!  We have a few herb shops that sell some organic things.  I'll be honest, though, we haven't looked much.  We are also living with my parents right now while my husband is in school.  We just discharged from the Army and thought this would be a good way to spend time with my family and save money.  So, I don't get the chance to cook or do much of anything remotely natural.  I've been using handmade detergent and I make my own soap ... everyone but my dad will use the soap, but I can't seem to get anyone (but my own little family) to use the detergent (even though my grandma - who lives on the property - has been getting skin allergies lately).

We're planning on moving up to Flagstaff for a couple of years and then hopefully finding a place, if that's not it, that is a little more conducive to our simple life.  We're going to start homeschooling in the summer (my kiddo is 4.5) and I think that's pretty nonexistent here too.  I'm sure we'll have to drive a ways for field trips and such and my hope of a co-op or even other families to playdate with is gone!

#5 of 7 Old 05-11-2011, 08:08 AM

i'm in parker! close to havasu, about 2 hours from bhc.

we were in kingman last weekend and found a source for raw goat's milk! (pm me for the info, i don't want to get her in trouble or whatever. ugh. i hate that i even have to do that.) i was in havasu yesterday hitting up all the thrift stores looking for milk cans. i didn't find any. meh.

we also have grassfed eggs for $1.50/dz down here!

amygrimis, do you homeschool? i've been looking for other homeschooler around here for 2 years. all i could find was the havasu christian homeschool group. we aren't christian so we can't get in :/

we are thinking about moving to kingman. it's like 20* cooler, it has raw milk and my husband job can transfer him (npg).

#6 of 7 Old 05-11-2011, 08:15 AM

i guess i should have read better. :P i got excited about someone local and skimmed the rest. lol

i'll use your soap! you want to trade something? i used to get homemade soap from my friend in kansas but she stopped making it and i'm almost out.

my big guy is almost 5 (next month! holy moly!) my baby is 2 but he can keep up with big kids. :D

#7 of 7 Old 05-11-2011, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

amy, I swear I posted a reply. I don't know where it went. No, I don't know much about Havasu. We spent some time in Quartzsite before moving here, though, so I can imagine. ;) Bullhead City isn't like that at all, though. There's kids n young people all over the place here, though not much for them to do. There's a homeschool group with weekly park days, and  Mohave Community College does some classes, but other than that there are VERY few activities for the kids. The scouting groups are a bit of a let down, but they are in most places I've been. If my kids weren't homeschooled, I don't think they'd have any social life at all around here. None of the neighbor kids seem to. It's very cool about your soaps. I use soap nuts for most of that kind of thing, but make our own toothpastes and a lot of other things.

itsrtimedownhere, next time you're in Kingman, let me know. I'd love to get together. If you do end up moving to Kingman, I don't know if the homeschool group there is Christian...but there is an all inclusive one that is VERY accepting here. It's officially for all of Mohave County, but the weekly park days are in Laughlin...though I know there's field trips in the works in BHC and Kingman.

ETA- to both of you...are you aware of www.bountifulbaskets.org ? They're all over Arizona (as well as several other states) and a great way to get fresh, cheap, localish produce. It's the only place we can buy enough organic to feed a family here...and we're having issues with the level of chemicals in the produce grown and sold around here. We don't normally have to eat organic, but this area uses some pretty toxic stuff!

Wife to jammin.gif Beast 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page