Visiting Phoenix in 2 weeks - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 04-01-2011, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We are visiting my sister in law in two weeks.

We are catching a Diamondback game, heading to Flagstaff & Route 66, going to the aquarium and either a day trip to Grand Canyon or Vegas.

But SIL is working all week so we are on our own most of the week. I've thrown ideas to her that I've found online, but she has pretty strong opinions of what is "lame."

Looking for other opinions.  The kiddo is 9, so he's rather on the cusp of tween-hood, but can be a fun loving kid.

My family of 3 (plus pup) Indigo (Aimee), Rob (dp), Ryne (ds) & Phebe (dog), plus my BIL's family of 3.

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it." - Alan Kay

#2 of 10 Old 04-01-2011, 12:25 PM
Banned

The Children's Museum of Phoenix is a little young for a 9yo, but sometimes my 9yo likes it.  The science museum is across the street from it, near the ballpark.

Smeeks is an awesome local candy store at 1st Ave. and Camelback.  Good place to stock up on chewy candy for the plane ride or have a really good time spending a couple dollars of allowance.  My 9yo is a fan, and likes to claim that visits help build her arithmetic skills.  

Smeeks is near Pane Bianco, which is the takeout-only lunch and dinner place just south of Camelback on Central Ave operated by the owner of Pizzeria Bianco, which supposedly has the best pizza in the US but has a line too long to be stood in with little people.  11-8 T-Sat.  The sandwiches are awesome.  I didn't actually know they had a dinner menu until just now when I looked up their address, but apparently they do.  They do not have tables.  

Sonic Drive-ins are all over Phoenix.  They (sometimes) have the funnest happy meal toys ever, a massive selection of soft drinks, and the servers roller skate to your car.  A good place for cherry limeade and soft-serve ice cream.  The tater tots are scrumptious, and again, my 9yo is a fan, especially on long drives.  

The Phoenix Art Museum recently underwent some renovations and is friendly to 9yos if the 9yo in question likes art.  At the moment, there is a huge red plastic dinosaur on display on the front lawn.  

There are a lot of parks in Phoenix.  My favorite is Dreamy Draw, on Northern just off rt. 51 (take the Northern exit and then turn east - the road dead ends at the parking lot/trail head).  Nice hiking.  Restrooms, but no concessions - bring water.  

The zoo has teenage zebras, and you can feed the giraffes and pet the stingrays.  

#3 of 10 Old 04-01-2011, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks!

I will definitely add those to the list.  We could have our 2 year old nephew with us from time to time, so some younger stuff could fly, since the kiddo is extremely accommodating to the younger set.

My family of 3 (plus pup) Indigo (Aimee), Rob (dp), Ryne (ds) & Phebe (dog), plus my BIL's family of 3.

#4 of 10 Old 04-01-2011, 12:47 PM
Banned

The Children's Museum has a lot of things that older kids can do with younger kids.  There's a fort room with lots of fort-building stuff, and a noodle forest which is great for hide and seek, and a HUGE climbing structure.  If you have a 2 yo and a 9yo with you, you will want to stay out of the 0-3 room where the 9yo will be required to sit on a bench and not do anything.  There are lots of other rooms.  

#5 of 10 Old 04-02-2011, 09:45 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

He'd love makutu's island. http://www.makutusisland.com/index.html

It will probably be hot then, so most likely you'll want to consider lots of indoor stuff. In Scottsdale there's the McCormick Railroad park. He might be a bit old, but depends on your kid. http://therailroadpark.com/index1.htm

There's the zoo and the botanical gardens. Haven't been to either in over 3O Years. What does your SIL consider lame? Maybe we could let you know. If you're going to the aquarium at the mall...I can't remember the name, I haven't heard great reviews about it. Most say it's overpriced.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#6 of 10 Old 04-03-2011, 03:44 PM

The zoo has an awesome splash pad, good for all ages. The lego stores at Arrowhead and Chandler mall are cool. There is Castles and Coasters. They have rides, mini golf, and video games. There is Sunsplash in Mesa or Wet and Wild in Phx. Both huge water parks.

The wildlife zoo is pretty cool also. We also have indoor laser tag and go cart places, as well as indoor mini golf.

*~Kelly~*
 Waldorf Mom to 9 blessings ~6 by birth and 3 by fost/adopt~

#7 of 10 Old 04-03-2011, 09:39 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Taliesen West (the home frank lloyd wright designed) is awesome!

The desert gardens are great

Phoenix Zoo

My 10 yr old still loves the childrens museum

The chandler mall (for the lego store)

Crackerjax - gokarts, mini golf, bumperboats, near the scottsdale airpark (ds likes this better than castles n coasters)

Encanto Park also has a small amusement park

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#8 of 10 Old 04-03-2011, 09:41 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

FYI vegas isnt a 'day trip'   Its a 6 hr drive each way (depends on traffic at the dam/overpass)

You can make the grand canyon in one day round trip but vegas.. no way!

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#9 of 10 Old 04-11-2011, 01:51 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)

I second the vote for Matuku's Island. My HUSBAND loves it there. ROTFLMAO.gifROTFLMAO.gif

Phoenix Zoo is also a good one, cheaper than the Wildlife World Zoo and just as good.

The SeaLife Aquarium at Arizona Mills Mall is a bit pricy, but it is pretty good. We had a two for one deal and went, it was fun to look around and we easily spent an hour and a half there. Though that would be because of DH's obsession with anything salt water. orngtongue.gif

Maybe if you want to make the trip you could go to Out of Africa zoo up in Camp Verde, about an hour ish north of Phoenix. Haven't been there in quite some time but it was good the last time I went.

I also agree with a pp that Vegas isn't really something to do in a day. The Grand Canyon is doable though and can be lots of fun.

, birth-working wife to   (06/2010).
TTC #1 since 2010. Dx PCOS, July 2014. Currently in testing.
, July 2012. Waiting for our  sometime very soon.
#10 of 10 Old 04-11-2011, 06:19 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you everyone.  I will be going over list with hubby & kiddo this week.  We leave on Friday.  I think SIL is spoiled by her years in San Diego.  eyesroll.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page