Tucson-Any experiences with Desert Sky Community School or Drachman Magnet Montessori? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 04-19-2011, 11:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Trying to figure out where to possibly send ds for when he starts kindie.  I've read up on both methods, toured both schools, read reviews, and I still don't know if I'm sure of what I want.  Anyone have any experiences with either of these schools?

fambedsingle2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifHappy to be a mommy and teacher to D fencing.gif, born 1-17-06 via waterbirth.jpg  and A  blahblah.gif, born 10-6-08 with a homebirth.jpghomeschool.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 04-27-2011, 04:55 PM

My daughter currently attend Tucson Waldorf School (private). However, we did look into Desert Sky last year before we were sure that we would get financial aid at TWS. I was very impressed with their program. It has a real 'Waldorf' feel, and I loved the classroom. The kindergarten teacher we met (I think there is only one there) is amazing. Her son goes to TWS, and I know she does a great job with her students. They do have to conform to the state's guidelines for testing, but the incorporate a lot of art, music and extra activities into the curriculum. Desert Sky also participates in a lot of the TWS festivals and events. It seems like a great education for the price- free! I also really liked their playground. 

Bottom line, if we hadn't gotten some help with tuition at TWS, our daughter would have gone to Desert Sky. Good luck!

Swell Doula Service

Birth - Postpartum - Placenta Encapsulation 

nocirc.gif  winner.jpg  slinggirl.gif

#3 of 5 Old 04-30-2011, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter

I've been there several times, and I'm still not sure how I feel about Waldorf, even charter Waldorf.  I am glad to hear that it seems pretty decent and I did enjoy my visits but...it remains to be seen if it would be a good fit for ds. 

fambedsingle2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifHappy to be a mommy and teacher to D fencing.gif, born 1-17-06 via waterbirth.jpg  and A  blahblah.gif, born 10-6-08 with a homebirth.jpghomeschool.gif

#4 of 5 Old 09-08-2011, 04:38 PM

Drachman Montessori in TUSD is great.  The teachers are wonderful and the program is outstanding.  I love that the kids all learn violin.  My daughters loves the science program.  Allowing the students to be self-directed teaches them about responsibility.  I can't say enough good things about the teachers, program and students at this wonderful Montessori school.

#5 of 5 Old 04-23-2014, 01:59 AM

My son attended for just shy of a full kinder year and I pulled him this was 5 years ago. On the surface DSCS seemed like a nurturing, wonderful place, but at its core it was a rotten apple and damaging to my child and a few others that pulled their children around the same time I did spanning kinder age to grade 2. 

Ima Sophie + D + J =

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page