Getting your insurance to cover your home birth in Utah? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 05-25-2011, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I have BCBS and they've told me that it won't be covered because my midwife is not a registered nurse. I'm appealing it on the phone right now so we'll see how that goes. Anyone been in this situation? 

Superherolactivist.gif and mother to Peanut (03/20/09) and Twig (01/20/2012). Fighting for the rights of mothers out there who winner.jpg selectivevax.gif fly-by-nursing2.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpg and much more! mdcblog5.gif 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 05-25-2011, 12:10 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm interested to hear what you find out, because I have BCBS, too. I have a slightly different situation because my midwife is a registered nurse and I'm having the baby at a birthing center. The office administrator at the birthing center said that they will give me a list of all the procedures and labs done after the baby is born and that I can submit that to my insurance to get reimbursement. I need to follow up with BCBS to see if that is true, though, or if they need any additional information. 

#3 of 3 Old 06-05-2011, 08:34 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I never even tried.  I have BCBS and my midwife worked with a billing company that was really good at getting things coded so that it would be covered, but it honestly just didn't seem like it would be worth the hassle. After my deductible, the difference that I would have saved just wasn't worth me taking the time to deal with it while pregnant or when DD arrived.  Talking to my MW about it, it sounded like some women did have decent luck, though.  It might be worth a shot.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page