Moving to N. Utah - help! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 06-28-2011, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DH was just offered a job at Utah State U., so we're moving to Logan in early August.  Originally from the midwest, but we've been in rural VA for the last 2 years - Utah will be a totally new experience.

I'd love to hear from other mamas in the area.  Compulsive Googling only gives you so much info, you know?  redface.gif

We have 2 kids:  DD is 13, DS is 7 and #3 is on the way in early September.  We've homeschooled for the past 6 years, leaning toward the eclectic/unschooling end of the spectrum.  And I'm hoping for a homebirth with the new baby, but not sure if that's in the cards with a move so close to my EDD.  At heart we're pretty big hippies - no circ, GD, veggie, etc etc! - but we seem to do a pretty good job "passing" in our small conservative southern town.  I'm hoping Logan will be a LITTLE bit more diverse and open-minded than our current home...  

If anyone is living in the area and/or has suggestions for birth care providers or places to look for house, or anything else, please holler!

Thanks...  love.gif

“...there are two ways to meet life; you may refuse to care until indifference becomes a habit, a defensive armor, and you are safe - but bored. Or you can care greatly, live greatly, until life breaks you on its wheel. ” - Dorothy Canfield Fisher

#2 of 5 Old 07-09-2011, 12:20 PM

Hi, and welcome to Utah! Logan actually has a decent homebirthing community. For a homebirth midwife, I'd recommend Chris ******- she is awesome! I can get you her info if you PM me.

Melissa Wife to DHpartners.gif, Mom to DSbouncy.gif (3 y.o.) and DD wave.gif (infant) We are a homebirthing, no circ, select and delay vax, cosleeping, full-term breastfeeding happy family!

#3 of 5 Old 09-09-2011, 09:47 PM

You will fit in just fine up here! I was a little nervous too, since I'm a hippie at heart as well.. but I've been here for over a year now and LOVE it. Not as crunchy as Oregon or Washington, but it's OK! I'm also vegetarian and would LOVE to have more veggie-hippie-mama friends!

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#4 of 5 Old 04-25-2012, 07:29 PM

Hey, I moved here recently and have not met many moms. I would love to get to know some locals.
#5 of 5 Old 04-25-2012, 07:49 PM

I live in the Valley, so a little ways from Logan, but I love Utah! We're crunchy granola, Waldorf homeschooling, virtually vegetarian, unapologetic homebirthers (trying to UC this time) My personal favorite midwife is Sherri Price but she's in Pleasant Grove which is a bit of a hike for you. I think you'll find that people out here are overall really nice and the views? Amazing...seriously, it is tough to have a bad day staring at the Rockies :) Good luck mama, HTH!  

Kellylady.gif, married to the love of my life, Denpeace.gif , DD1 5/07dust.gif , 11/07, DD2 10/08modifiedartist.gif , DDS 8/10jammin.gif, expecting our next blessing this winter!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page