Daycare/Schooling in AZ? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-25-2011, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I asked a similar question in the education section here on mothering but I was wondering where do you send you children to school here in AZ or Daycare and why?

Looking for more info, my son is 1 yo. :)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2011, 06:17 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Welcome. What part of Arizona are you in? We're in Tucson. My kids are 5.5 and 3 (in a couple weeks.) We homeschool and there is a huge homeschooling community in Tucson. I guess it would help to know what you're looking for to know what info to share.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

Old 07-26-2011, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter

Im in Phoenix, and I'm not sure if i make enough $ to provide the education my son needs from a homeschooling perspective. I was homeschooled 9th grade onward btw. 

I want to compare what schools people are attending as well as what theyre doing if their kids are homeschooled.  I'd like more inside information if you(your kids) went to a particular school/daycare if you liked it/didnt like it (well if your kids liked it/didnt)

I looked into montissori, waldorf, etc.  

I want my son to go to a school where he can learn 'real life' things, all grades, learn how to learn, learn how to make decisions, do art, be in nature, learn with nature, do sports, and posibility, be high tech (have their own lap tops) as well as philosophical and 'earthy'.  I'm not sure if I'm asking too much!

Old 07-27-2011, 12:04 AM

I know nothing about the Phoenix area except they are trying to build a "free" school. http://www.phoenixfreeschool.org/

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

Old 07-27-2011, 12:11 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

I homeschool but I work in the schools. My son is 10 and I can say schools have changed over the past 5 years or so, esp with technology and I would guess in the next 5-10 years they are going to continue to 'evolve'.  IMO no school is 'good' since I homeschool but I am on the look out for a 7-12 or 9-12 school as DS is interested in possibly doing something different for those grades.  I should add I am open to moving to a diff state for high school for him as well.  I just dont feel that education is a priority in AZ.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

Old 07-27-2011, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

Thats about exactly how I feel.  Its frustrating or rather, challening trying to provide the best to our kids. I am also willing ot move to another state.

On another note, this "Free" school looks interesting.

Old 08-01-2011, 01:15 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

"Free" school was not free. There was quite a hefty tuition listed somewhere on the website.  Quite the misnomer if you ask me, but no one asked so I'll be quiet  LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filiz Dolar View Post

Thats about exactly how I feel.  Its frustrating or rather, challening trying to provide the best to our kids. I am also willing ot move to another state.

On another note, this "Free" school looks interesting.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

Old 08-01-2011, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra15 View Post

"Free" school was not free. There was quite a hefty tuition listed somewhere on the website.  Quite the misnomer if you ask me, but no one asked so I'll be quiet  LOL.

Yeah, free schools are usually private with tuition. Free as in freedom not no cost. Though I think many provide scholarships.

For us, if we sent our kids to Kino (in Tucson) we would be rich because I could start working again. Homeschooling with a stay at home parent is much more expensive than tuition.

Old 08-06-2011, 03:56 PM

No the Freeschool is far from free. Last year they were doing a free thing if you stayed with your kids, but no longer are offering that. There is a Waldorf charter school here. I  SUPER LOVE it, but it is too far for me to drive when Dh and I share a car http://arizonawaldorf.org/DMS/

There are a lot of homeschool groups depending on the area, there is also a bunch of virtual school options.

*~Kelly~*
 Waldorf Mom to 9 blessings ~6 by birth and 3 by fost/adopt~

User Tag List