Hi, I'm currently visiting SLC with my DS (6 mo) and DH, because my husband is considering attending the University of Utah for graduate school. I've only ever lived in the Pacific Northwest and Hawaii, so this place is very different from what I'm used to. However, I'm excited to live in a new place. If you don't mind, can you share with me:
* What is the best part of living in SLC?
* What's the parenting community like?
* Is it a good place for young children?
* What are the downsides to living in SLC?
* Finally, we are not LDS, but are very accepting of all beliefs and religions. Do you think we will be welcome here? Will people be trying to convert us a lot of the time? How do non-LDS children fare here?
Thanks so much for sharing with me!
Mama Bear , Papa Bear and Baby Bear (8/11)
You will be fine downtown!
Granted, I haven't lived downtown with small children, but loved living downtown in college and found the area in general to be very, very liberal, and while there are a lot of LDS people, there are also a lot who are not, which is nice. Lots of diversity. We love the children's museum, the aviary, the zoo, etc. there is definitely an AP presence, you just have to find them. for some reason, not many AP mamas from UT are posting in FYT on MDC lately, but we're around!
If you move to SLC, I think you'll be a lot happier living downtown than in one of the suburbs. Cold, snowy winters and lots of pollution in the winter are the downside for me. (And dry air. Very little humidity.)