Utah Midwives and Vaccine Exemptions - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 03-23-2012, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
DH just got a job offer, and we're considering moving to UT. I have tons of questions but will keep this thread focused.redface.gif

First, can anyone recommend a midwife in Utah Co.? Somewhere in the vicinity of Draper/Riverton or Provo/Orem would be ideal. I know that there is a popular birthing center in Orem, and I'd prefer a freestanding birthing center to home birth. But I'll take whatever good maternity care I can find!

The next questions have to do with vax exemptions.

1. I know that there are philosophical exemptions in UT.. Does vaccinating have to be an all-or-nothing thing there, or would I have a legal right to vaccinate selectively?

2. It sounds like I have to go in person to the county health department for the exemption. What should I prepare for? Do they want to sick somebody on you to scold you or convince you to change your mind last-minute? lol.gif. Or is it just a quick bureaucratic hoop that parents are made to jump through? Also, I see that they're charging parents $25.00 for this privilege.eyesroll.gif. Will I have to go through this process every year, or just any time I see a new vax requirement appears to which I'm philosophically opposed?

Thanks in advance for any answers!

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#2 of 9 Old 03-30-2012, 01:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I used Suzanne Smith for my homebirths.  I think she's part of the birthing center in Orem.  My youngest is almost 5 so I'm out of the birthing loop.

If you want to selectively vax, I would sign the form that exempts you from all.  It won't stop you from getting any vaxes that you want.  You can give the schools the exemption form and your child's vax record.  Otherwise, you have to pay  for separate forms for each vaccine you want to exempt from.  Once you sign the form (and pay your fee), you never have to sign another one--just don't lose it. They charge you money to replace it.  Expect to wait in several lines. It was pretty routine and no one lectured me or tried to talk me out of it.  The only snag is your child has to be kindergarten age, which can be a problem if you need childcare or they demand a vax record for preschool.

Cindycaffix.gif, wife to soapbox.gif, mama to DD1 (4/97)lol.gif, DD2 (3/99)bouncy.gif, DS (4/03)biggrinbounce.gif, and DD3 (6/07)energy.gif, 3 cat.gif, and 10 chicken3.gif.

#3 of 9 Old 04-01-2012, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by springbabes View Post

The only snag is your child has to be kindergarten age, which can be a problem if you need childcare or they demand a vax record for preschool.

Thanks for the info!  So I basically can't enroll my children in preschool?  That sucks....irked.gif

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#4 of 9 Old 04-03-2012, 07:21 PM

I just put my daughter in a private preschool (in someone's home) and was never asked for a vax record.  I did a preschool co-op for my son and again, was not asked to provide a record.  I've had to forgo daycare at the gym, howeverirked.gif.

Cindycaffix.gif, wife to soapbox.gif, mama to DD1 (4/97)lol.gif, DD2 (3/99)bouncy.gif, DS (4/03)biggrinbounce.gif, and DD3 (6/07)energy.gif, 3 cat.gif, and 10 chicken3.gif.

#5 of 9 Old 04-25-2012, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turquesa View Post

DH just got a job offer, and we're considering moving to UT. I have tons of questions but will keep this thread focused.redface.gif
First, can anyone recommend a midwife in Utah Co.? Somewhere in the vicinity of Draper/Riverton or Provo/Orem would be ideal.

I live in Utah County and my favorite midwife is Sherri Price. She's located in Pleasant Grove and does homebirths or you can choose to birth at her awesome turn of the century Victorian house turned birth suite. It is totally private and beautiful and she is seriously amazing, her assistants are great, and she just emmanates that wise woman vibe where you know she knows whats going on. She was incredible during DS's extremely long labor (no pressure to go to the hospital, just baths, essentail oils, rubs, walks, chants)

Kellylady.gif, married to the love of my life, Denpeace.gif , DD1 5/07dust.gif , 11/07, DD2 10/08modifiedartist.gif , DDS 8/10jammin.gif, expecting our next blessing this winter!

#6 of 9 Old 04-28-2012, 03:04 PM

Melissa Mayo is based in Sandy (Right next to Draper).  She is amazing and has tons of experience.  Let me know if you want her number.  She comes very highly recommended.

#7 of 9 Old 05-13-2013, 05:01 PM

I live in Salt Lake. I've been getting vaccine exemptions from the state since my son was two. He's been in 3 different preschools, and I had to get a new exemption each time. I just picked up the fourth one for kindergarten. I've never had a problem, they make you wait to talk to a nurse, but all the nurse does is tell you that your child will have to stay home if there is an outbreak of a VPD in their school. It's easy! I'm not really sure what previous posters are talking about...I've never heard of the 5 yr old rule. I know I'm not special because my selective vax friend has been getting exemptions for her kids since they were toddlers too.
I've also NEVER paid for one.
Also, the philosophical exemption form asks what vaccines you want to be exempt from. You can check "all" or hand write in the vaccines your child won't get.

I'm really confused about my experience compared to other posters here. I've been told I need a new exemption for each new school ( the school name is written on the form), I've never paid, and have been getting them for years? We're all living in the same Utah right? wink1.gif
#8 of 9 Old 05-13-2013, 05:15 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

There's some decent midwives up here in the Weber and Box Elder counties...

As a former school teacher, I recommend you take care of the optioning out before school starts.  It gets messy then.

--Breastfeeding----2nd grade Teaching----Cosleeping----Cloth Diapering -- --Bookworm Mom
#9 of 9 Old 05-16-2013, 12:24 PM

you can get a waiver from the dept of health. its $15 for ea child to get a waiver

goorganic.jpg    namaste.gif    nocirc.gif  winner.jpg  slingboy.gif  familybed1.gif homebirth.jpg

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page