SLC & playgroups? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 05-06-2012, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My family and I are discussing moving to Salt Lake City.  My husband is from there but is a bit worried about me moving there as we are not Mormons.  He says that we will be outcast to an extent because of our faith.  Being from Texas I'm not used to this kind of religious segregation.  What is ya'lls experience with this and to what extent will my children be affected by this?

I have been looking online for non-religious playgroups in the area and haven't found one that is a "crunchy" type playgroup.  Is there one that I'm not finding? 

Stephanie
Momma to Gavin (3/24/09), Heart broken 6/13/10, TTC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 05-06-2012, 04:28 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Salt Lake city itself, and most of Salt Lake County, actually has a very high number of people who are not Mormon; they definitely outnumber the Mormons. The surrounding counties, however (Davis and Utah counties) both have an extremely high percentage of Mormons living there. I can't help you with the playgroup thing, as I, too, am currently trying to get some sort of a playgroup for my kids, especially my son. I'll post back here if I find one.

Melissa Wife to DH, Mom to DS (6) and DD (3) We are a homebirthing, no vax, intact, devoutly LDS happy family!

#3 of 7 Old 05-06-2012, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter

MnMtn- Thanks for the reply. My husband's mom still lives there in SLC.  We have visted several times and I LOVE the city.  But, more than likely we will not be able to live directly in the city :(.  I have started a "Crunchy Mommas" playgroup in the last two areas we have lived in.  I would like to just join one this time :).  However, if there is not already one there I will most likely start one. I'll definatly post here when I know if we are moving for sure or not.

Stephanie
Momma to Gavin (3/24/09), Heart broken 6/13/10, TTC
#4 of 7 Old 05-08-2012, 12:11 PM

We have had a few threads similar to this around here lately.  Check those out.

You'll be fine pretty much anywhere in salt lake county.  the more suburban you get, the more mormon you get, generally speaking. 

#5 of 7 Old 05-18-2012, 09:15 AM

The PP is right, but we live in Utah County and are pretty crunchy granola :), and honestly, we do fine. There's a lot of inexpensive family fun out here (we're originally from the East Coast) and there are lots of great parks, etc. I think that if you remain true to who you are, you will find friends that are like-minded regardless of their religion...I have plenty of friends who are practicing Mormons who accept and like me even though we don't share the same beliefs. It is DEFINITELY a huge culture shock out here, people are definitely predominantly Mormon and there is a feeling of exclusion when you aren't participating in ward and stake activities that all of your neighbors are-but man oh man you can't beat the scenery and the cost of living. HTH and Good luck mama!!

Kellylady.gif, married to the love of my life, Denpeace.gif , DD1 5/07dust.gif , 11/07, DD2 10/08modifiedartist.gif , DDS 8/10jammin.gif, expecting our next blessing this winter!

#6 of 7 Old 05-22-2012, 02:46 PM

I've attended a couple of playgroups over the years here in the SLC. one in particular was pretty great, but it kind of fell apart as people's leases ended and it became too much of a hassle to get together,
I'm a Mormon, but I don't check religious preferences when.I pick friends. And I can promise not to ever send missionaries to your door :-)

Jenny
married to M
mama to Z (9), S (6), G1 (3), G2 (1) and someone new! expected Jan 2013
#7 of 7 Old 06-18-2012, 03:01 PM

I'm a non-mormon, and I grew up in SLC. There is an 'outcast' feeling to some extent, but for the most part, I think people here are very nice. I have some mormon friends, who I get along with great, and they accept me even though they know I am an athiest. Some are even very 'crunchy' themselves :)  I think you will be just fine! If you are still nursing, I would suggest getting in touch with a Le Leche League group closest to you, there are a few in the valley, and every one is very nice, and I think you'll end up meeting some other moms you can connect with. And we are always looking for more kids to play with, I have a 2 1/2 yo DS, we are in the south end of the valley :)

Mama to Xavian, born 11-24-09

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page