Moving in the start of the year to Lakeside/Pinetop AZ area - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-26-2012, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Sometimes in March or April we are moving from NY to AZ. I know I am planning way out. 

We have 8 kids, 7 girls, 1 boy ages 14 to 1. We homeschool, cloth diaper, don't really vac. Looking for any info on the area or others in the area even.

Wife to my hero, mom to 7 damsels, 1 lad, 1 pooches, 1 mousers, 5 hens

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2012, 06:06 PM
Bia

I moved from that area recently. Do you have any specific questions?

Old 06-21-2012, 05:28 AM - Thread Starter

Just saw this. Basic rings. Was looking for midwife but baby all come in NY so no need there. But cost of living, other natural minded momma's, any good natural stores? Growing things, I am a big gardener/homesteader and worry about what I can raise grow there.

Old 06-21-2012, 11:11 AM
Bia

Cost of living is low compared to other nice towns in N. Az. but it isn't exactly a prosperous area full of opportunity, frankly. I highly recommend having a nice financial cushion when you move. That's why I had to leave. I mean, there is the busy summer tourist season, then surviving the rest of the year. I moved to the Prescott area and the pay scale here for my work is literally $5 more per hr. I'm not trying to be discouraging, just realistic, because I thought I had done enough research before going there but it turned out to be one of the biggest mistakes I've ever made.

Obviously I don't know your beliefs but you may want to look up local churches and talk to some folks that way. There is high Mormon population throughout the area (so high that the Wal Mart has an LDS books section). There is a nice Unity church that offers meditation and yoga classes.

There is an herb store and a small health foods store. Selection is extremely limited. If you want insider info on growing and obtaining natural foods, I highly recommend contacting the guys at Linden Market... it's plantthink.com

Old 06-22-2012, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you. DH has a job offer at a helicopter/airframe repair/building place up there. Not an overly lot of places to do that type of work, and even less if you don't want to work in a large city?air port hub. Plus he will be retired front he army so that money coming in also.  His retirement check will cover or here in NY would cover just about everything but housing to be honest so hoping that we should be fine in that area. Just need to figure out housing cost down there.

We are Catholic but I did notice the large LDS church selections when I did a quick church search. Which kind of puts me some at ease maybe I won't be the only or only one of 2 or 3 families with more then 3-4 kids(we have 9 soon). 

Checking out the site. Hoping to find at lest a decent homeschool group at lest and hopefully an alternative or not overly main stream ped as we very selectively and rely van, don't circ, use herbs...

Old 06-22-2012, 10:57 PM
Bia

Great! It sounds like you'll be much better off than I was. :) And it is really beautiful there. Those guys at Linden Market have been there many years and know a whole lot of people so they should be able to give you more leads.

User Tag List