Considering moving to Arizona... Advice? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 04-17-2013, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello!

I'm a single mama of a six month old baby man. I need some advice on which cities/towns to look into moving to. My job is completely online, so I won't be needing to look for that.. 

I'd like to:
-Be close to a library, park, and grocery store
-Only own a bicycle
-Live close to other young families

Another plus would be to live close to a tourist spot, because I quite enjoy hosting travellers and interacting with excitable non-locals. I would MUCH rather rent from a homeowner (even if just a private room) than in a huge apartment complex. 

I don't mind if this is a teensy town of 10,000 people or a large city. I am very flexible is every other way than the three/four things I mentioned.

Any ideas? Preferably, I'd like the temperatures to stay within 30-90 degrees, but I realise that would cancel out some amazing places in AZ. I'd rather be in a more "crunchy" place and feel a little sweaty or chilly. (: 

Thanks SO much for your advice.

My blog at www.rememberbaby.wordpress.com, filled with letters to my little one starting from 5 weeks pregnant until now!

stork-boy.gif September 30th, 2012 Nicolas Cobourne

computergeek2.gifslingboy.gifcd.gifbfinfant.gifphotosmile2.gifsigncirc1.gifhomeschool.gif

#2 of 27 Old 04-18-2013, 11:58 AM

Have you considered Austin? It definitely gets warmer than 90 but there is tons of swimming. I'm a single mama of a 9 month old boy and we have a great time walking, swimming, going to parks and farmers markets and to see music... Rents are rising but it's still affordable. If you have any questions you can email me at roseannafulton@gmail.com
#3 of 27 Old 04-18-2013, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter

Ah, you're sweet. I've actually lived in Austin before (I've moved around the country a lot growing up) and I'm not a huge fan. But if I pass through I'll shoot you an email! (:

My blog at www.rememberbaby.wordpress.com, filled with letters to my little one starting from 5 weeks pregnant until now!

computergeek2.gifslingboy.gifcd.gifbfinfant.gifphotosmile2.gifsigncirc1.gifhomeschool.gif

#4 of 27 Old 04-18-2013, 09:16 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Sounds like you're looking for Prescott, AZ. That's where I live love.gif

If you lived downtown you'd be close to library-which has baby story time-a great place to meet other mamas, town square-w/events & music nearly every wkend and nights during the summer-lots of tourists, Granite Creek park-playground, trails, lawn, Albertsons (& other stores and restaurants), The Honeyman-a small health food stored about 4 blocks from downtown, the Farmer's Market is at Yavapai Community College about a mile from downtown, and lots of other stuff. We have Prescott College-small, private, liberal arts, very crunchy.

Anyways...feel free to pick my brain. This August makes 17 years here yikes2.gif 

Former Nanny Extraordinaire, looking forward to being a Mama! treehugger.gif I love Organizing & being a Health & Wellness Coach eat.gif & I'm crunchy granola as long as it's organic and certified gluten free. GF since March '08 yummy.gif. Willoughby Nov '11  cat.gif TTC #1-still, again, some more, & seriously pondering adoption. 
#5 of 27 Old 04-19-2013, 11:11 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Do some research on Bisbee. It's an old mining town south of Tucson. It's mainly a tourist/artist town right now, and I know little about living there, but it's beautiful, has great houses and lots of antique shops.

Prescott's probably cooler (sometimes snow in the winter.) It's also beautiful, a different kind of beautiful.

Arizona is a pretty conservative state. (Google governor Jan Brewer. Sigh.) Tucson is fairly liberal, by AZ standards, but gets well over 90. There is a large country crunchy community here.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#6 of 27 Old 04-23-2013, 10:59 AM

Oh this is all very awesome! As someone who is interested in moving to

AZ as well. Can anyone tell me what the job market is like in Tucson and Prescott areas, as my hubby will have to have employment for us to move!!!

#7 of 27 Old 04-24-2013, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmybabygirls View Post

Oh this is all very awesome! As someone who is interested in moving to

AZ as well. Can anyone tell me what the job market is like in Tucson and Prescott areas, as my hubby will have to have employment for us to move!!!

What field is he in?

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#8 of 27 Old 04-24-2013, 11:42 AM

Prescott is considered something of a retirement town, but we also have 3 colleges. And there always seems to be new construction so if he's in the healthcare, education or construction fields he likely won't have trouble finding a job.

Former Nanny Extraordinaire, looking forward to being a Mama! treehugger.gif I love Organizing & being a Health & Wellness Coach eat.gif & I'm crunchy granola as long as it's organic and certified gluten free. GF since March '08 yummy.gif. Willoughby Nov '11  cat.gif TTC #1-still, again, some more, & seriously pondering adoption. 
#9 of 27 Old 04-25-2013, 12:55 PM

My hubby currently works as a weatherization auditor for our local housing authority, he is technically the production manager and has tons of experience! He wouldn't mind doing something in computers however it would have to be entry level and pay enough for us to get by til he moved up if you will!

#10 of 27 Old 04-26-2013, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmybabygirls View Post

My hubby currently works as a weatherization auditor for our local housing authority, he is technically the production manager and has tons of experience! He wouldn't mind doing something in computers however it would have to be entry level and pay enough for us to get by til he moved up if you will!

I don't know if anywhere in Arizona even has a housing authority. (Not that I even know anything about the subject.) I guess the Section 8 program for subsidized housing might. 

#11 of 27 Old 04-26-2013, 11:10 AM

NACOG has a weatherization program... http://www.nacog.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=dep_intro&dept_id=9

They came & did my house. It was AWESOME!!

ETA: I failed to mention we have higher than normal averages of bars & churches lol.gif  so there might be work in those areas as well winky.gif

#12 of 27 Old 04-26-2013, 09:40 PM

Prescott sounds great. I'm living in Cave Creek, AZ right now and while it is beautiful scenery I am socially miserable and can't wait to go back to California. I'm having a hard time adjusting to the ultra-conservatism and fundamentalist Christianity around here. 

The people are all so spread out and holed up in their isolated homes that their kids are not as friendly as where we just came from (Berkeley, CA). My 20 month old walks right up to the other kids and most of the time they seem like they are getting used to living outside of their little pods.

I heard a mom tell her 19 month old girl "not to say no" because "Jesus doesn't like that word" and all of the other moms at the library just nodded along.

The drivers are also the worst I have ever experienced anywhere. 

People say that Arizona is more cost effective than California, but while rent is lower you make up for the costs in energy bills. 

But it sounds like Prescott is a more enlightened pocket of this state.

#13 of 27 Old 04-26-2013, 09:49 PM

Both my parents and sister and family live in Cave Creek; I live in N CO ;-)
#14 of 27 Old 04-28-2013, 08:53 AM

Mamaleila! Yikes on the super Christianity front there headscratch.gif

I'm sure there's some of that everywhere, but I really enjoyed my library story time w/littles when I was a nanny. All the moms seemed pretty "normal" and I made some great friends that I hung out w/often even though I wasn't a mama thumb.gif We'd go to the zoo, lakes, hiking, each other's homes, different parks, etc It was super great! 

#15 of 27 Old 04-28-2013, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by prescottchels View Post

Sounds like you're looking for Prescott, AZ. That's where I live love.gif

If you lived downtown you'd be close to library-which has baby story time-a great place to meet other mamas, town square-w/events & music nearly every wkend and nights during the summer-lots of tourists, Granite Creek park-playground, trails, lawn, Albertsons (& other stores and restaurants), The Honeyman-a small health food stored about 4 blocks from downtown, the Farmer's Market is at Yavapai Community College about a mile from downtown, and lots of other stuff. We have Prescott College-small, private, liberal arts, very crunchy.

Anyways...feel free to pick my brain. This August makes 17 years here yikes2.gif 

Thanks for all the advice everyone. 

So, I've posted a few places asking, and everyone seems to say Prescott, and NO ONE seems to say Phoenix. Why would that be? I am looking into Prescott... it seems like a great little town! Do you by chance know if there is an AP group there? Or any type of crunchy meet up?

#16 of 27 Old 04-28-2013, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnyaRose View Post

Thanks for all the advice everyone. 

So, I've posted a few places asking, and everyone seems to say Prescott, and NO ONE seems to say Phoenix. Why would that be? I am looking into Prescott... it seems like a great little town! Do you by chance know if there is an AP group there? Or any type of crunchy meet up?

BEcasue phoenix gets to be like 125 degrees in the summer. Thought it has touristy areas they are not really close or bike ride distance to any type of housing. Phoenix though an amazing town is really hot and really business district oriented. There are reasons why the traffic is so bad. Its because no one lives by where they work. Prescott is nice because it is small cool and has lots of heritage. Or strawberry is a good place too. Prescott is very much growing.
 We live in the center I would say of the "valley" it takes us at least 10 minutes to drive anywhere. Even resteraunts are not close together per say. Like If I wanted a pizza it a two mile walk and when its so hot you can;t leave the house its. Its great for driving all the highways get you everywhere fast. But even like the Mill avenue areas though neat for shopping and eating (though a lot of stuff is going out of business) its not close to any atractions.

#17 of 27 Old 04-29-2013, 11:18 AM

I live in Tucson area. Not sure how cold it gets but I really loved my visit to flagstaff. College town with a really cool vibe. Lots of tours leaving there to Grand Canyon and Sedona. It did snow on us though memorial weekend. So don't know how cold it gets in the winter.
#18 of 27 Old 04-29-2013, 07:02 PM

Like LLQ said, Phoenix is HOT and busy. It's great for a visit in the winter when it's chilly here in Prescott. And it's great as a day trip for shopping to a big mall or outlet mall or concert, but traffic really sucks a lot of the time. I hope I never have to live there. 

Flagstaff is a couple thousand feet higher so it stays colder there for longer than in Prescott, plus they definitely measure their snow in feet and we typically measure ours in inches lol

I'm kinda out of the kid loop as far as meet-ups & groups go since I haven't been a nanny for many years and I'm not a mama, yet, but I'm sure they happen. There was a group that met every week at a different park and I happened on them just by hanging at the park w/my littles, plus the library story time as I mentioned before was a great place to meet other mamas w/littles the same age. 

There is a bulletin board at the health food store called New Frontiers, that people post fliers on about things going on. I just checked out Meetup.com and there's one kid group in Prescott Valley, about 20-30 min away (next town over) and they mostly get together for story time at the library and bowling and stuff in PV, and it didn't mention their level of crunchiness winky.gif You might also check craigslist. But even if none are posted online I know we have a pretty big crunchy community of families here. You'll find them (should you move here) and you do more than sit at home lol.gif

#19 of 27 Old 04-29-2013, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter

Awesome. Thanks for the information. I'm checking into housing there now.. It seems like a great fit based on several replies from a few different boards. 

Are there any "bad parts" of Prescott? Streets/areas that get a little shifty during the evening or night? Places to avoid while looking at housing options?

#20 of 27 Old 04-29-2013, 07:39 PM

You might really like Flagstaff.  I've lived here for almost 10 years and I can't imagine living elsewhere in AZ.  It is very liberal-- it's a small university city.  It's close to the grand canyon and sedona, like someone mentioned, and as such we get a lot of tourists.  There is a farmer's market in the summer, and a couple health food stores.  If you lived close to downtown, you could walk or bicycle pretty much anywhere you would like to go.  It does get very cold; we were the snowiest city in the US!  PM me if you would like more info.  Also, congrats on your son; my son is also six months old!  I was a single mom for a few years as well, and I hope you can find a good community.  Best of luck!

granolamommie likes this.
#21 of 27 Old 04-30-2013, 07:29 PM

There is one neighborhood that we locals call "the barrio" it's one of the cheapest areas, so a lot of students live there, but there's also some sketchy folks there too. Some streets are better than others, but you wouldn't know unless you were here in person and could drive around. The main street names in that area are Lincoln, Madison, Campbell, Hillside, Fair...

#22 of 27 Old 05-03-2013, 11:16 PM

I would say Flagstaff would be ideal.  There is a super crunchy vibe, a great community to raise a family we have won ING's 100 top cities to raise a family in 2 years in a row.  And we are close to the Grand Canyon and Sedona- major tourist spots. It is super bike friendly- bike lanes everywhere and the buses are great.  Great schools and the people are amazing. International tourists come here daily so there is a lot of culture as well.  It is also a very "local friendly" town- lots of locally owned businesses.

Loving wife hug2.gif and Mama to hippie.gifBella (11), joy.gifArydona (6), guitar.gifKai (5) and Trin candle.gif born sleeping on 12/21/13 makebabe.gif ttc our next bundle of joy! ....intactlact.gif,hang.gif  homeschool.gif  
#23 of 27 Old 05-13-2013, 11:26 AM

I am so ready to move to AZ!! So if anyone hears of a decent job that my hubby could do let me know!! My sister in law lives in Phoenix, but I want to be somewhere more crunchy like Prescott or ideally Flagstaff! So we just need a job to get us there!!! :)

#24 of 27 Old 05-13-2013, 11:55 AM

Tempe, AZ is actually pretty good for a lot of what you describe, but it does get hot. It's a college "town" but lots of family friendly parks, libraries, stores. A lot of students rely on bikes in that area. We live in Chandler which is lovely. Phoenix is very spread out. I think the key is to scope out a place that fits your needs, or ask a relator or apt. hunter to do that. I live in an area that is difficult to bike to most things but just a couple miles away is a nice apt. complex around a lake, that is close to a natural grocery store. I see people all the time biking/walking with groceries. Most apartment complexes have pools. If your budget allows there are some nice places all around the phoenix area. Here in CHandler we have great schools. My daughter's future high school has a huge water park as part of the campus with very cheap admission prices. We live there for a good part of the summer, at the pool. :-) Great libraries, big lovely parks all around, and very low cost of living. We are really happy here raising our family. I only wish we had more natural greenery. It's green thanks to watering and irrigation but would love to live in the forest.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#25 of 27 Old 10-10-2013, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAmma View Post

. Here in CHandler we have great schools. My daughter's future high school has a huge water park as part of the campus with very cheap admission prices. We live there for a good part of the summer, at the pool. :-) 

Hamilton?

Rainbow.gifHippie Momhippie.gif to my Sunshine(2006) notes2.gif  Flower(2008) hearts.gif Blueberry(2013) babyboy.gif   and our spirit angel(12.7.2013)  angel3.gif   homeschool.gif bfinfant.gif familybed1.gif  placenta.gif  
#26 of 27 Old 10-10-2013, 06:56 PM

This is kind of redundant, but my only advice is to avoid Phoenix. Not only because of the heat, but because it's full of people who have moved from elsewhere looking for work. As a result, there's no sense of community, and people are just not friendly. We lived there for six months, and it was the worst six months of our lives. We were looking for any excuse to leave.
mamaleila likes this.

Michelle, wife to DH, and momma to DD16, DS15, DS12, DS10, DD9, DD7, DS5, and baby girl born Christmas Eve 2013!
#27 of 27 Old 04-04-2014, 04:11 PM

Prescott is definitely a lovely area. Have visited there many times. Always at least 10 degrees cooler than Phoenix too. Nice people, lovely town. Love the arts comuunity there too.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page