Moms in Arizona new rules regulating homebirth midwives - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 05-17-2013, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I put this on the homebirth forum too you need to be aware of the new rules revisions are being finalized are are planned to be in effect starting July this year- A step back to the 1800's for midwifery, the improvements proposed by the department of health is to strip midwives of medicines that they have been administering to mothers and babies , at the same striping mothers rights to refuse any and all testing and treatments required by midwifery rules. And this all in a package to be data captured as an informal study of midwifery and its safety in this state.. The new rules apply by July this year expand scope by July 2014 and by 2015 the expectation by Director Humble is there will be "rich data" to determine what else needs to be changed in midwifery/ homebirth in Arizona.
There was a bill that parents lobbied for and got passed to open the midwifery rules to increase the scope of practice to include breeches, vbacs and twins to be legally attended by midwives, so far that effort was successful, or partially so. The department will allow home vbac- although limited to type of vbac, they will not allow the diagnosis of CPD or failure to progress to have a home vbac , they passed allowing twins and will allow breeches. But what else the health department did in the latest draft was require that we discontinue care of any all clients that refuse tests that are in rule including an ultrasound- not just for vbac and breech but for ALL moms- and they took away all the meds so not pit to stop hemorrhages, no Rhogam, no vitamin K... Although midwives have had these in rule since the 90s -

The punative parts of the rules will be in effect starting July this year, the vbac and breechs will be allowed to be attended by experienced CPM/LMs only starting July 2014. By 2015 they expect to have enough rich data to fine tune the rules and to publish outcomes and decide the fate of midwifery in AZ to come, stastically impossible to get anything meaningful out of 6 months expanded scope vbac and breech births when we only have 600 births total. But enough to show more transfer and hemorrhages because of no meds.

Any one of these problems should be enough to raise a rucus about and the combo is just a real big issue.
#2 of 4 Old 05-20-2013, 10:41 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

WHAT???  If I am reading this right- midwives are no longer able to administer pitocin for hemorrhage and I can't refuse the mandatory tests because my care will be dropped????  Of course there will be more transfers- sounds like a ploy to stop midwifery on a permanent basis! Cuss.gif Brewer. Is there anything we can do MWHerbs??

JustJenny and DH of 20 years 

After a 2 year fertility struggle  - Baby girl is here! Jan 8th 2014 

2 Boxer Furbabies Buddha and Tootsie 
#3 of 4 Old 05-23-2013, 10:22 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm new to the board, so I hope it's ok if I jump in here!  I was told to go to http://azdhs.gov/als/midwife/advisory-committee/ and read about the rules then comment with my opinion.  I believe they discussed the rules at the May 15th meeting, so you can watch the video or read the meeting minutes (but those haven't been posted yet).  Apparently, the committee wants to hear from consumers, not from the midwives, so it is very important that as many people as possible protest.  We deserve to have save birth center and home births with midwives and I'm so angry that they are implementing rules that will potentially make a midwife assisted birth risky. 

#4 of 4 Old 05-28-2013, 12:17 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by naturalmamabird View Post

I'm new to the board, so I hope it's ok if I jump in here!  I was told to go to http://azdhs.gov/als/midwife/advisory-committee/ and read about the rules then comment with my opinion.  I believe they discussed the rules at the May 15th meeting, so you can watch the video or read the meeting minutes (but those haven't been posted yet).  Apparently, the committee wants to hear from consumers, not from the midwives, so it is very important that as many people as possible protest.  We deserve to have save birth center and home births with midwives and I'm so angry that they are implementing rules that will potentially make a midwife assisted birth risky. 

Thanks for including the address. I posted my comments.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page