Twins in Tucson. Options? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 05-22-2013, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi ladies, I'm brand new here but am loving it already! My husband and I are expecting fraternal twins at the end of the year. It's still pretty early but I'm wanting to try and get an idea of what our birthing options might be. (I know a lot can happen between now and their births)
We have a 4 year old daughter that I gave birth to drug-free in a military hospital in NC. I'm not against having my babies in a hospital as I feel I could advocate for myself (as well as my husband and possibly a doula). For some reason in pretty turned off by the idea of birthing at the birth center here but still opened to looking into it if twins wouldn't "risk" me out. Home birth with a midwife or unassisted are both options we feel drawn to but I have no idea if twin/breech HBs can be attended by midwives here.
Definitely interested in hearing from anyone here that could point me in the right direction for any of these paths. And, if anyone has had any experience birthing twins naturally in AZ. Thank you:)
#2 of 4 Old 05-23-2013, 09:12 PM

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)

Can anyone point this mama in a positive direction??

#3 of 4 Old 05-25-2013, 10:14 PM

Hey Heathermichele!

Congrats on your pregnancy!  I, too, just found out this week that I'm expecting twins....but I am 23 weeks pregnant!  Major surprise for me and I'm still trying to wrap my head around it.  We also have another child, 3 yr old daughter.

So, some general info about twin/vbac/breech birth in AZ:  the El Rio Birth and Women's Center are not currently legally allowed to attend any of these types of births and neither are home birth midwives.  It's a huge bummer.  I was doing concurrent care between the Birth Center and my home birth midwife Amy Zenizo (who is wonderful, BTW).  My goal was to get my tests done with the BC for insurance purposes and stop seeing them at about 28wk and switch over fully to Amy's service and have her attend our home birth.  BUT now I have to find another practitioner due to there being two babies.  I'm mourning the loss of my home birth and trying to come to terms with another hospital birth.

Several people, including my midwife and a friend of mine who had twins and is pregnant with them again, recommended Dr. Maciulla at UMC (University Medical Center).  I have yet to meet him (appointment is next week), but have been told he's the #1 go-to option in town for natural birth, breech, even in twin situations.  I have also been given the names Jennifer Reinhart at Crossroads OBGYN and Jessica Moreno, also at UMC.

It might also be a good idea to get in touch with Nancy Capo.  She's a Bradley Method instructor here in town and has had clients with twins before.  She might be able to give you some direction, too.  Her website is  http://www.yoursnaturally.net/

Keep us updated!  If you want to message me, feel free!

#4 of 4 Old 05-28-2013, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you, Emmagee! It's hard to process the idea that two healthy babies in a healthy mom are treated so differently in this state than any healthy mom with just one healthy baby. But it's comforting to have a few doctors to start looking into now. Congrats on your twins and thank you, again, for helping me out:)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page