Tucson mamas, help!! OB/midwife feedback, please! New to the area, 25 weeks preg. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-08-2013, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello mamas,

This is my first post here! My husband and I just relocated from Los Angeles where we had a WONDERFUL, kind, intelligent, NCB-friendly OB... total jackpot of a doctor in every respect. This is our first baby and we're hoping for a med-free hospital birth.

As soon as we got to Tucson (3 weeks ago), we had our first appointment at El Rio. I was really disappointed with the experience. The office was incredibly disorganized with my file, misplacing things and miscommunicating about three times during the appointment. It just did not inspire confidence. The midwife, assistants, and front desk did not seem to have a good communication pipeline going and the midwife had to leave the room multiple times to clear things up with my paperwork (all we were doing was giving them a copy of my files from my previous doc). In addition I found the people to be less than warm in general, the wait was horrendous, and everyone seemed flustered.

A few minutes ago I gave them a call because of an itchy/blotchy rash that's been bugging me on one side of my belly (PEP? Irritation from stretching?) and the receptionist voluntarily put me through to speak with a midwife. The midwife I talked to sounded very busy and borderline annoyed at having to take my call. Again, just not a good experience. They are fitting me in tomorrow to check out the rash, which I appreciate, but I just can't get over the feeling that something is amiss at this practice, despite all the good reviews I've read.

I'm just wondering if anyone can recommend another care provider in Tucson (preferably one who delivers at TMC) who is a little better organized, with a better bedside manner. I am comfortable with an OB as long as the OB has a good attitude about natural birth and will allow me to move around during labor, avoid continuous monitoring, etc. 

ANY feedback would be greatly appreciated as I'm getting nervous being this far along and not feeling settled with a care provider.

Thank you!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2013, 02:23 PM

Hello and welcome to Tucson smile.gif  I don't know if you are set on having a medicated birth or not but if you would like more individual attention and would consider not having a epidural perhaps consider the Birth and Womens Health Center.  http://www.tucsonbirthcenter.org/  They have excellent facilities, are very attentive and have TMC back up. They are located just a few miles east of TMC on Grant Rd. Insurance covers them also. They have free evening classes and tours so that you can get all your questions answered and see the facilities. I decided on a home birth myself, but did tour the center and liked what I saw and heard. Good luck to you and I hope you find a place that you can feel comfortable birthing at orngbiggrin.gif

JustJenny and DH of 20 years 

After a 2 year fertility struggle  - Baby girl is here! Jan 8th 2014 

2 Boxer Furbabies Buddha and Tootsie 
Old 08-17-2013, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Jenny,

Thanks so much for your reply. Actually the El Rio Birth and Women's Health Center is the place I was talking about, where I had the disappointing experience, so I am looking for an alternative to that. I do have another appointment scheduled there and I'll see how it goes -- hopefully more smoothly than last time.

I don't want a medicated birth -- I want a natural, unmedicated birth in a hospital setting. 

Still hoping for any recommendations for natural birth friendly OB's here in Tucson!  Thanks so much. :)

Old 08-17-2013, 06:26 PM

Oh ok. There are El Rio Clinics with CNM's that only do hospital births. That's where I thought you were going. The birth center is backed by El Rio/TMC but doesn't do births in the hospital.That's disappointing to hear that they treated you that way. I used to go there for my pap's and was treated very well.  I don't know of any OB's to help you, sorry. Maybe someone else will chime in to help! 

JustJenny and DH of 20 years 

After a 2 year fertility struggle  - Baby girl is here! Jan 8th 2014 

2 Boxer Furbabies Buddha and Tootsie 
Old 08-17-2013, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Jenny, yes it was really disappointing! Especially after I'd gotten the impression that they were one of the best options in Tucson. It wasn't a horrendous experience, it just didn't give me a good/confident feeling either... I guess when it comes to one's first baby/pregnancy you just naturally want to walk away from a place with a really positive impression.

Anyway I think it will be fine if I end up needing to stay with them, was just hoping for something a little warmer, more personal and better organized.  Thanks again for your feedback though, I do appreciate it and I'm glad to hear you had a good experience there!

Old 09-18-2013, 12:58 PM

I'm a birth and postpartum doula, and I've had lots of interactions with many different OBs around town.I'd recommend Dr. Graziano at TMC. He's awesome, and the only OB I've ever met that seemed to have the same pure enthusiasm for natural birth as most midwives do. He was extremely kind, patient and hands off with one of my VBAC clients. 

Swell Doula Service

Birth - Postpartum - Placenta Encapsulation 

nocirc.gif  winner.jpg  slinggirl.gif

User Tag List