Online Schools in Utah - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 01-09-2014, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My 8 year old son goes to a very progressive, experiential learning school in Salt Lake City.  I'm happy with the school and his progress there, he is also happy with the school.  However, his father would like to have a more standardized approach to education.  We are looking at dual enrolling him in an online school as a compromise.  Does anyone have any experience with online schooling?  I'm looking for a program in which he can design his own curriculum so that the work he is already doing at school will count toward some of his credits and he won't necessarily have to double up his workload.  Any recommendations or advice would be greatly appreciated!  Thank you!!  :)

#2 of 3 Old 01-11-2014, 01:16 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)

It looks like your post might have been missed, so I'm bumping it up for attention. :bump: Anyone have recommendations to share?

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

#3 of 3 Old 01-23-2014, 03:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

What experiential school does your son go to? Sounds like something we would be interested in. 

As for online schooling, they are becoming quite popular and there quite a few sprouting up here. There is one called Alianza Academy that I know a little about. A good friend of mine taught there for a few years. It is based out of the school but the kids do almost everything online and at their own pace. There are at least a few locations along the wasatch front. They have some project work as well that isn't online from what I understand. My friend really enjoyed it and said it works really well for some kids mainly those that don't need a lot of direction and get bored in a traditional classroom and those that take a little longer to grasp concepts. 

Me (31) DW (28) 2 puppies and a baby on the way

****5****10****15****20****25***stork-boy.gif30****35****40

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page