SLC / Davis County Area, Utah - Birthing Centers/Midwives - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 04-09-2014, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Curious if anyone here has worked with either the Utah Birthing Center in the SLC/Murray area or the Birthwise Maternity Care Center in Layton and has any info that might help me choose.  I just found out I'm expecting #2, and after my first birth in a hospital for a labor with zero complications or issues that should have led to the hospital (other than the fact the state I lived in did not legally recognize my ability to birth at home with a midwife), I want to go more natural this time and avoid the hospital if at all possible.  Unfortunately, I'm pretty new to Utah, so trying to narrow down the pool of options is a bit daunting, and it's DH's first child so he's not much help ;-)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 04-10-2014, 12:03 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You may also want to look at birthrite midwifery, and great expectations, both are amazing midwives. The Birth Center has had some problems in the past I'm not sure if they have had them resolved. You can often find a lot out on health grades.com and just googling for other people's experiences, of course the ones with bad experiences are often the most outspoken. If it were me and I was looking for and out of hospital CNM birth I'd choose Rebecca McInnis at great expectations, or Marci Roundy at BirthRite. Congratulations and best of luck!
#3 of 6 Old 04-10-2014, 03:16 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

We interviewed Marci Roundy at BirthRite, Adrienne at the Birth Center and Rebecca Williams at Great Expectations. They all seemed more than competent and it came down to personality and connection for us. We were planning a homebirth though so we didn't choose any of those. We went with someone else with a homebirth practice. Our second choice was Adrienne at the Birth Center. 

We are meeting with Heather Johnston at Birthwise because we might need a backup midwife. 

Just interview all of them and pick the best fit :) I was surprised by our choice, on paper I would have thought we would have wanted to use one of the others. 

Me (31) DW (28) 2 puppies and our sweet little love born 6/19/14
#4 of 6 Old 04-10-2014, 08:58 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions mamas!
#5 of 6 Old 04-17-2014, 04:04 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I just wanted to update that we met with Heather Johnston at Birthwise last week and she was great. She has a lot of experience and comes very highly recommended from our current midwife who is moving. Good luck!

Me (31) DW (28) 2 puppies and our sweet little love born 6/19/14
#6 of 6 Old 04-18-2014, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

I set up an appointment to meet with Janell at Birthwise once I get back home next week. She was super flexible to my odd schedule because of my job keeping me away from home, so I'm already feeling like this may be a good fit for us.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page