Playgroup in Tucson - Page 84 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#2491 of 2509 Old 09-17-2009, 11:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ligeia View Post
Oh and we got test results back this morning from Alina's gluten sensitivity screening. She has celiacs and will be going gluten free again. Just thought I'd share fyi and because I'm totally bummed and had to tell someone anyway.
I'm so sorry. This must be...I don't even know what feeling to attach.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2492 of 2509 Old 09-17-2009, 12:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ligeia View Post
Oh and we got test results back this morning from Alina's gluten sensitivity screening. She has celiacs and will be going gluten free again. Just thought I'd share fyi and because I'm totally bummed and had to tell someone anyway.
Bummer. Thanks for letting us know, I will be sensitive to what types of snacks I bring when ya'll will be there. Today we have watermelon and grapes!
#2493 of 2509 Old 09-17-2009, 12:37 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaBaby1 View Post
A couple park days ago Stacey mentioned having a home birth video get together. I really love this idea and I know a particular HBAC mama "friend" who needs to bolster her confidence with everything she can get her hands on. I don't own any videos, but I can get The Business of Being Born at the library. I'll have to double check but I could probably host at my home on a Thursday evening. Anyone else interested?

Regarding the swap, I'd like to participate so I started sorting last night. But, I started with my filing cabinet and I know there isn't anything there to bring. Do we have a day nailed down yet?

Have fun Wednesday players! We're working then napping then shopping. Danielle, do you know that a new Sunflower is being built on Orange Grove and Thornydale? I don't think it's open yet though.
i saw that on their website. i'm excited! nice and close. it opens on the 30th so i won't have to drive all the way out there again. although i made an oops and bought their grapes that were on "sale" for .99 and frys had the same grapes for .67 and then one of the packages of grape tomatoes was in the wrong spot and cost 2.50 instead of .99. i really hate when i spend more than i have too!

are there packages of white t-shirts for kids? like at walmart you can buy fruit of the loom 3 pack white shirts (no pockets) but do they make them in 4 and 5t? i would LOVE to get a few packages for each kid and do some tie dieing. Ayla desperatly needs shirts and i don't want to buy $5 shirts and i don't have the gas to pick through thrift stores plus i thought it would be a really fun activity if everyone wanted to do a tie dye party.
#2494 of 2509 Old 09-17-2009, 05:36 PM

I am freaking out about this preschool thing. We went to the school today and I really like how the teachers interact with the kids and the school philosophy etc. My guy had to be carried in kicking and screaming he was so scared. He did calm down quickly and got curious, but he was still scared. When we came home, I asked him what he thought about the school and he said, "I liked it."

This is not how I wanted to raise him. I wanted to have him at home. He just needs more kid contact than he's getting at this time.

Turns out the day is from 8:30 to 12:15, not 9:30 to 12:15. That hour difference seems HUGE to me.

I really wanted 2 days a week, but when you're this late in the game, you take what you can get. It's a great school, but it's 4 days a week. I wouldn't want him going much less than the other kids because I'm afraid he'd be odd man out.

I feel like such a failure as a mom. I didn't want someone else raising my kid. Though for many reasons I think they might do a better job than I would do right now.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#2495 of 2509 Old 09-17-2009, 06:31 PM

it's obvious at a young age that kids are SUPPOSED to interact with a multitude of people INCLUDING other care providers WITHOUT mom around. kids are curious, learn from EVERYONE and like to be around people for the most part. even my shy guy still liked playgroup if it was on his terms. i think it's more detrimental to keep kids from learning how to speak, understand, communicate, obey, and overall be under a small tutelage from other providers. i was in head start and public school from 4ish and i would hardly consider those people "raising" me. My mom didn't WOHM, she owned her own home based business.

i'm sure 4 days a week for a kid who's never been out of a parents reach is a big step and i'm sure the kicking and screaming half was the sheer newness of it. E cried when he went to preschool and thats FINE. he LIKES school (don't get me started on school issues) and wants to go badly!

here's the opposite end of the spectrum...i feel like a horrible parent because my kids have hardly EVER left my side. i can SEE that ethan doesn't quite understand what other people are asking of him because he knows EXACTLY how I speak but not how other people phrase things when they are asking the same thing. i feel like my kids are getting the short end of the stick because they don't get the extra interactions without me.

i suppose i can only console you with the fact that the best parents seem to be the ones that always feel like failures . way to give moms a complex huh?
#2496 of 2509 Old 09-17-2009, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mybabysmama View Post
I feel like such a failure as a mom. I didn't want someone else raising my kid. Though for many reasons I think they might do a better job than I would do right now.
Pam, you're not at all a failure as a mom. Families have all different kinds of set-ups--- sending Aaron to school for 4 hours 4 days a week is in no way having some one else raise him!

I commend you for trying your best to meet Aaron's needs, even though you had really been planning to homeschool from the start. No doubt it will be hard at first, but I bet Aaron will like it and it may be just what you guys need right now. And if not, it's not permanent, you can always go a different way.
#2497 of 2509 Old 09-18-2009, 04:42 AM

Thanks for the words of support. I keep telling myself that we can try this for a month and if it doesn't work out, we can stop. He's actually really excited about it except for the fact that I have to leave.

One of the things that will be good is this will give me a break. I have been overwhelmed ever since the baby was born. The one day that he did not play rough with the baby was a miracle. I kept thinking, "Wow. I can do THIS." But that only lasted one day. If he's in preschool, I can get a break.

Before the baby was born, I did so many activities with my guy and I was so pleased with how calm, patient, and gentle worded I was with him. Since the baby came that all went out the window. Having him in preschool may help get some balance bike in me which would help both kids.

This feels like the right choice, I just don't like it. It's not how I wanted to parent right now. However, in the scheme of things, this is pretty small potatoes. If this is the "worst" parenting choice I ever have to make, we will live a blessed life.

#2498 of 2509 Old 09-18-2009, 11:51 AM

My guy's first words at 5:30 this morning were, "I have to get ready for school."

#2499 of 2509 Old 09-18-2009, 12:52 PM

I'm not feeling good today and my survival tactic is going to be to take C to the park (Connor Park) and sit down while he wears himself out. We won't be there until a little later-- probably 10:15. Just in case anyone wants to join us. Not that I'm very good company today!!!
#2500 of 2509 Old 09-18-2009, 09:37 PM

I hate asking for help especially when it's something so huge that I don't even know how to repay the help if I can even get it but I am completely stuck.

Living out here is horrible. I can't do it anymore. My own mental health is declining daily and my kids are upset mostly out of boredum but also just having a mom who can't keep it together. I can't get out of here. I've called several transitional housing places and have only been able to get a hold of one but from the things i've read it's for homeless, newly drug free and student/working moms. I don't have a job although I would love to think I could handle (and get) one right now however *I* think it's totally irresponsible to go and get a job without having any childcare, being god knows how far from the job and then trying to move in the middle of training/adjustment period. Who knows if I could even get a place close to the job that I could afford?!

Anyways I don't know what to do. I want to move out of this house and get back into the city limits. That gives me access to so much more help but I don't have the money for a deposit and I know exactly what I can and can't afford (and it's not much).

How is it that responsible people fall through the cracks? I don't have much debt (what I do have is from my xbf ) and I have enough to pay my bills except for food which I am trying to qualify for food stamps on monday (and pretty sure i'll get it). There seems to be SOOO much help for utilities, food, transportation but none for MOVING. Being in such a transitional period in my life I also don't want to sign a 12 month lease so it screws me even further plus I only have the child support as income which most people don't even want to consider! I'm series when I say that I can pay for rent, gas, insurance, utilities, cell phone and internet without shirking anyone!

Ideas? Know of someone with a place to rent? Anything? I'm completely at a loss....
#2501 of 2509 Old 09-19-2009, 06:35 PM

Danielle, I'm not sure how I can help you. I don't know of any short-term rentals. I would think some of the ministries in the area could help.

I cannot imagine being in your shoes right now. It must be a rough spot.

#2502 of 2509 Old 09-19-2009, 06:37 PM

Sarah, You inspired me to do some planting. I wanted to plant a pot of lettuce and a single broccoli plant. Except I was just going to pick them up at home depot and the plants came in flats of thousands. Okay, I picked out one with a bunch dead so I only have 7 plants. We are going to be inundated with broccoli.

#2503 of 2509 Old 09-20-2009, 08:36 PM

ahhh, i am thinking of everyone.... Im feeling sick again today... felt fine yesterday. i think I must be low on iron because all I am craving is meat. ugh.

so, I hoope everyone is well, we leave friday for colorado... so maybe if anyone is up for it we could do the swap one day this week and watch orgasmic birth or pregnant in america together? lol i have an appt with amy on thursday and I should probably give orgasmic birth back, Ive had it for ages.

maybe tuesday?

PAM- im so sorry I havent responded... this is a hard situation and I know how rough it can be to do something you never thought you would do with parenting.... the tv was our thing that was not an option and then became totally a part of our lives. but these decisions do notmake us "bad' parents... they just make us human.

To be honest though, i think you are doing the right thing... you are making the best, most loving decision you can.... and anytime you make a decision from that perspective it will always lead you to a lesson learned or a new journey. Maybe aaron will form a lifelong friend from a classmate.... I have a friend that I met whenI was in kindergarten that I am still friends with... you just never know what is meant for us.

Keira, for example, totally rejected my waldorf leanings.... she wanted to play with all kinds of t hings, and she wanted to watch tv and plays, and movies... and maybe she will go on to be a film director or something... but whats funny, is that now- now that she is 'allowed' to do what she wants... she also runs around in playsilks and plays with faceless dolls, etc.

so evenwhen parenting decisions hurt our ideas of what composes a good parent.... its probably a good thing for everyone involved... truly.

hopefully we will get a chance to talk more when it cools off or whenI am refreshed from the mountains... lol im just feeling like a trapped, pregnant, sweaty bear these days. and the flu that we had didnt help anything.

~jen~ )O( mama to k 07/05 o 5/08 and c 12/09
#2504 of 2509 Old 09-20-2009, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallulahma View Post
PAM- im so sorry I havent responded... this is a hard situation and I know how rough it can be to do something you never thought you would do with parenting.... the tv was our thing that was not an option and then became totally a part of our lives. but these decisions do notmake us "bad' parents... they just make us human.

To be honest though, i think you are doing the right thing... you are making the best, most loving decision you can.... and anytime you make a decision from that perspective it will always lead you to a lesson learned or a new journey. Maybe aaron will form a lifelong friend from a classmate.... I have a friend that I met whenI was in kindergarten that I am still friends with... you just never know what is meant for us.

Keira, for example, totally rejected my waldorf leanings.... she wanted to play with all kinds of t hings, and she wanted to watch tv and plays, and movies... and maybe she will go on to be a film director or something... but whats funny, is that now- now that she is 'allowed' to do what she wants... she also runs around in playsilks and plays with faceless dolls, etc.

so evenwhen parenting decisions hurt our ideas of what composes a good parent.... its probably a good thing for everyone involved... truly.

hopefully we will get a chance to talk more when it cools off or whenI am refreshed from the mountains... lol im just feeling like a trapped, pregnant, sweaty bear these days. and the flu that we had didnt help anything.
Thanks for the support. This is SOOO hard. Except that he is really enthusiastic about it. However, he does not want me to leave. Of course, on the odd Saturday when I actually get a couple hours to myself he does not want me to leave either. We'll see how it goes. And, this doesn't mean he can't join on our group outings. I'm going to give him a couple weeks to settle in, then if this group is doing something fun, I will give him the option of school or playgroup trip. School is not his life, it is simply an activity.

#2505 of 2509 Old 09-20-2009, 08:50 PM

And Jen, I hope you feel better soon. Cooler weather is coming. (Who ever thought I'd say that to YOU.)

#2506 of 2509 Old 09-20-2009, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mybabysmama View Post
And Jen, I hope you feel better soon. Cooler weather is coming. (Who ever thought I'd say that to YOU.)

haha, not me.... thats for sure. I hated when jared complained about the heat. But no joke, we havebeen spending one day a weekend up in mt lemmon and it was in the 60s and i was still sweating like crazy.

I wonder if this babe is a boy and I am full of testosterone or something. lol

~jen~ )O( mama to k 07/05 o 5/08 and c 12/09
#2507 of 2509 Old 09-22-2009, 02:50 PM

There is a quick (should be) court date on Thursday at 1 p.m. is there anyone around there who can watch the kids for an hour or so and then i'll join you a bit later for the park or playdate or whatever?
#2508 of 2509 Old 09-22-2009, 03:12 PM

Hello!

Could y'all start a new thread? This one is getting really long there can be server issues with very large threads.

Thank you!

Not all those who wander are lost 
#2509 of 2509 Old 09-22-2009, 03:27 PM

Since I'm the first one responding, I'll start a new thread. See ya all there.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page