Any Urban Homesteaders in the SLC, UT area??? - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-26-2009, 08:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by salt_phoenix View Post
LizzyQ: You can take a space in my yard for gardening if you want. I have tons of it. I have another friend who is taking a couple 5x10ish spots. Have you found a place yet? You should drive around my neighborhood.
Haven't found a place yet. I did come accross a listing on KSL for a 2 bed house in south SL, on a half acre, with a well even, but I am waiting to here back from the owner, who said that it is not available yet.

Then our back-up plan is MIL's house in Farmington (renting out her basement apt) which would also be nice for gardening, plus she has a spring at her house.

I'll talk to DH and see what he thinks about gardening at your place. He might just try to start one up at his mom's.

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2009, 02:59 AM

Oh LizzyQ, I'm so sorry I didn't see your post in time to send you my address!
There's an apartment down the street from me on 13th South across from Liberty Park by the 7-11 that has a For Rent sign out. I don't know how big or how much, but it's a cute building with Walnut trees in front... and of course if you lived by me you could use my yard too.
Old 02-27-2009, 01:40 PM

My beehive arrived yesterday! :

I can't believe I have to wait til april for my bees!

Different drummer dancing with 3 kids in 3 decades.
Old 02-27-2009, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delfuego View Post
Oh LizzyQ, I'm so sorry I didn't see your post in time to send you my address!
There's an apartment down the street from me on 13th South across from Liberty Park by the 7-11 that has a For Rent sign out. I don't know how big or how much, but it's a cute building with Walnut trees in front... and of course if you lived by me you could use my yard too.
It's OK.. I ended up needing to catch up on homework anyway (still do, I am kind of behind).

We would LOVE to live near Liberty Park again. That's where we both lived when we met, and my favorite part of town to be.. one of DH's friends lives accross the street from Liberty too (on 500), so I'm sure he wouldn't mind being closer to his friend (where they like to brew their beer together).

Old 02-27-2009, 05:24 PM

Hi everybody. I just found this thread. I wish I'd found it a lot sooner, but I've been pretty busy with a new baby and my 2yo. We are in Sandy and on a half-acre where we grow most of our produce for canning/freezing, brew our own beer, bake bread, compost, build furniture, etc. We've seriously considered goats and chickens but haven't made the plunge. Maybe when the babies are a little older and less high maintenance we'll go for it. I'm glad to see so many people doing the same thing. Sometimes we wonder if we're the only ones.

LizzieQ: I think I know you from LLL. Do you go to the Sandy group?
Old 02-28-2009, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

Welcome Mrsshunk-
Yes you are not alone, there are alot of us out there. We also have a yahoo group: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/utahurbanhomesteader/

I hope you will be able to make it to our monthly get togethers. They are great fun and a wonderful way to meet, connect, share, and learn!!!
Old 02-28-2009, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsshunk View Post

Sure do! We started a new Murray LLL, so I go to that one now, but I still go to Sandy for the enrichment meetings.

ETA: We brew our own beer too!

Old 03-01-2009, 02:02 PM

Thanks purplepetal21. I would love to try to get to a get-together to meet some of you. Please let me know when you guys meet. We are about to take a trip up to WA to meet my new niece. My brother and sister-in-law are serious urban homesteaders just outside Seattle. But we'll be back in SLC next week.
Old 03-01-2009, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsshunk View Post
Hi everybody. I just found this thread. I wish I'd found it a lot sooner, but I've been pretty busy with a new baby and my 2yo. We are in Sandy and on a half-acre where we grow most of our produce for canning/freezing, brew our own beer, bake bread, compost, build furniture, etc. We've seriously considered goats and chickens but haven't made the plunge. Maybe when the babies are a little older and less high maintenance we'll go for it. I'm glad to see so many people doing the same thing. Sometimes we wonder if we're the only ones.

Welcome! I would love to learn more about making furniture

:::
Old 03-02-2009, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzyQ View Post
We would LOVE to live near Liberty Park again.
You should check out that apartment. I can't say I've been looking but it seems like there's always places to rent in this area... and it's still pretty reasonable.

I'll let you know if I see anything else.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter

I found this activity in Organic Gardening. I am going to do it with my kids next week. Very cool!!!!
I will also be posting it as a file on our yahoo group.

What You Need:
  • Newspaper
  • Flour
  • Water
  • Seeds
What You Do:
  1. Tear newspaper from top to bottom into 1-inch-wide strips. Avoid pages with color.
  2. Make a paste by mixing water a 1/2 cup flour until it is the consistency of thick gravy.
  3. Lay the strips on a table ans place a single row of seeds along each one, measuring out recommended spacing distances as you go. (See "Seed Spacing" below)
  4. Glue the seeds to the strips by placing a dollop of flour paste on top of each seed. You can use a teaspoon, cotton swab, or toothpick to dole out the paste.
  5. Let the glue dry: then roll up the strips and put them in a resealable plastic bag. Use a separate bag for each type of seed. Add a tablespoon of powdered milk in a paper towel to the bag to keep seeds dry.
  6. Label the bags or slide the corresponding seed packet into each bag so you can identify the tapes later. Store in a cool dry place until planting time.
  7. Plant by laying tapes in rows and covering with a fine soil to the recommended depth.
Seed Spacing
Beets 3"
Parsley 3"
Carrots 3"
Peas 1"
Chard 6"
Radishes 1"
Collards 12"
Spinach 6"
Leaf Lettuce 6"
Spring Onions 1"
Old 03-04-2009, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delfuego View Post
You should check out that apartment. I can't say I've been looking but it seems like there's always places to rent in this area... and it's still pretty reasonable.

I'll let you know if I see anything else.
I drove by the area, and didn't see any signs up.

We got an offer on our place, so we are actively looking for a new place now.

Old 03-07-2009, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

Does anyone here know of someone that would love to host a wonderful family-friendly Spring celebration????

We would like to host the event on a farm so the kiddos get to see some spring babies!!! We have access to canopies but if they had a barn or some type of shed we could use if the weather turned that would be great too.

The event is open to the public and so we will be posting flyers so it could be great "free" advertisement for the farmer as well!!

There will be music, dancing (yes white people can dance), a puppet show and lots of food and fun for everyone!!! YEAH

We are also looking at Wheeler Farm and This is the Place but would prefer to have it on a less commercial space (less expensive)

Thanks
Old 03-07-2009, 09:40 PM

I just noticed the other day they had posted details. It says 3 1/2 bedroom (?), $1200. It's just East of the 7-11 on 13th south and 5th east.

What size/price range are you looking for? I'll keep an eye out.

Hey! Congrats on the beehive Julie!!!

I just got my first "homemade" chicken egg last night!
Old 03-07-2009, 10:23 PM

Well, we decided to move up to MIL's basement apartment anyway. She's only going to charge us $550/m incl. utils, for a 2 bedroom apartment.

I won't be too far from SLC, but it may feel like it sometimes!

The plus sides are (besides cheap rent), spring water, big organic garden, lots of fruit and nut trees, and it's right up against the mountain side. The downsides are that it's in Farmington, and MIL will always be RIGHT THERE (but this is also a good thing when we need a sitter!).

I still work and go to school in SLC... we'll be moving by the end of the month.

Old 03-09-2009, 01:39 AM - Thread Starter

Congrats Alyssa on your first egg...we just talked to all our neighbors and they are all fine with us having chickens...YEAH!!!!

We are looking for mature hens in that we have two cats that love to hunt birds and after thinking about it, chicks may not be a good idea . We may just have to come visit everyone else's chicks to soak up the cuteness.
Old 03-09-2009, 11:16 AM

OH NO! YOU HAVE TO HAVE CHICKS! I don't want 26 chicks!

My entire neighborhood of cats stalk the hens... I mean stalk them right up nose to beak with them, but none brave enough to actually lay a paw on one...yet. I never leave them alone outside for long. JIC. Not until there are MORE of them... or a rooster.

As for the chicks... They will be here next week. I am on keeping them in the back room in the Pack N Play with heat/light for a month or six weeks... until they are big enough to not escape the chicken run fencing. They would definitely be catfood otherwise.

Old 03-09-2009, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter

Oh your are twisting my arm Julie...I will talk it over again with my hubby!!!
Old 03-14-2009, 05:20 AM

For anyone just considering an urban homesteading journey and have no idea where to start, I would highly recommend the book:

Fresh Food From Small Spaces-The Square Inch Gardener's Guide to Year-Round Growing, Fermenting, and Sprouting by R.J. Ruppenthal

Old 03-14-2009, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

SPRING IS HERE
We hope your can join us as we celebrate the first day of Spring!

We have some wonderful activities planned including our traditional and much loved children's puppet show, a gathering circle to welcome Spring and wonderful arts and crafts for the whole family.

WHEN:
Saturday, March 21st

TIME:
2pm

WHERE:
Click the link below or PM me for details

WHAT TO BRING:
Please bring a dish to share and a bundle of fresh or dried flowers

DRESS:
Spring Fabulous

Fairies, gnomes and elves welcomed!!!
Old 03-19-2009, 01:45 PM

Hi Ladies! : As soon as I read that there were other home brewers here, I had to join in. My DH has promised to make me a "nursing beer" when our next baby comes, with like fenugreek in it. Still a little apprehensive about that one, but we'll see.

Anyway, I wanted to introduce myself. My name is Brin, and I live in SLC (close to downtown) with my two boys, and my DH. I'm expecting #3 in October. It's been a while since I've met other moms--my boys are 8 and 5 now, so it's been a while since I've been to a LLL meeting or anything. I feel like I'm going to be starting all over again with #3. I hope to get to know you all better. I'm glad to have found some locals on MDC, finally.

Brin, wife to my best friend , mother of three . and now homeschooling!!!
Old 03-19-2009, 10:38 PM

Ooooh! Since I read Alyssa's entry in the Yahoo group database, I've been thinking of hosting a natural skin care learn-in with interested mamas.

I guess that puts me next in line for hosting our homesteader's group... Is this topic too unrelated to homesteading??? Maybe we can do this one after we explore Jennifer's idea of doing a garden planning/design session??

Yay for all of us and all the fun we have together! Thanks Julie, for hosting yesterday!!!!

Old 03-20-2009, 01:06 AM - Thread Starter

Welcome Brinn...my hubby has been brewin' for a short time but man it is nice. We would love to join up with other brewers.

Deb-
I would love to learn about natural skin care...mine could use some lovin'. I am always flexible on topics and locations. I just love getting together and learning about so many wonderful things.
Old 03-20-2009, 01:55 AM

same here, I am up for natural skin care... I think urban homesteading can cover a LOT of topics... and certainly anything that has to do with home made and/or other handy home/family & life self-sufficiency skills.

We should put up a calendar or something for hosting sign ups. I think I will go do that on the yahoo site after this post. I am certainly willing to host again as soon as we have need for another host site (everybody gets a chance who wants to). Later this summer, we should start meeting up in each others GARDENS for some good 'ole fashioned weed pullin', fat chewin', kid chasin', homestead helpin', lemonade drinkin' mama meetups.

i am a brewer from way back too... i haven't brewed anything more than kombucha for a few years, but now that I'm back to homesteadin', I plan on starting back up. At harvest time, of course.

Wow, just spent the entire day with the chooks, the quail which I LOVE & the back 40. A VERY productive day! : Baby chickies got to go out to a "day pen" and they had the BEST TIME!!! They are all tuckered out now tho... ZZZZZZZZ
My seedling starts are all going out during the days now too. I am SO LOVIN' this weather! :
It's hard to believe we have a whole month left before last frost.

Old 03-20-2009, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brinalicious View Post
Hi Ladies! : As soon as I read that there were other home brewers here, I had to join in. My DH has promised to make me a "nursing beer" when our next baby comes, with like fenugreek in it. Still a little apprehensive about that one, but we'll see.

Anyway, I wanted to introduce myself. My name is Brin, and I live in SLC (close to downtown) with my two boys, and my DH. I'm expecting #3 in October. It's been a while since I've met other moms--my boys are 8 and 5 now, so it's been a while since I've been to a LLL meeting or anything. I feel like I'm going to be starting all over again with #3. I hope to get to know you all better. I'm glad to have found some locals on MDC, finally.
Hi!! Fenugreek beer sounds cool! I would love to try some, but I had over supply issues to the max.. I'd be too afraid of it!

Old 03-20-2009, 08:43 PM

Welcome Brin! Maybe we should do a beer brewing topic soon, huh? I've never brewed beer, but almost everyone I know does... so I just mooch off them! When I was nursing I was also working full time and had supply issues, I found that dark beer was one of the best galactagogues for me. Could be just because I like dark beer and was looking for an excuse to drink it though.

I would love a skin care or garden planning topic too! Julie, I love the idea of the signup sheet... Thanks! I think our next get-together should be on a Saturday for those working moms who want to make it.

Jennifer, I'm not going to be able to make the Spring Festival tomorrow. Roi and I woke up yesterday and decided we needed a vacation so we're in St. George! Spent last night at my mom's house (that I designed... it feels good!) and I think tonight we're camping. Yay! It's been waaaaaaaaaaaay too long!!!

Wish I could have seen everyone at the get-together Wednesday, but until next time... Cheers!
Old 03-22-2009, 03:45 AM

I'm sure my DH would love to show off some homebrewing stuff. We are trying to move the rest of this month, and we just got back from our spring break trip.

Alyssa- DH has a friend near you who wants to rebuild his house to be a green-living house.. did I remember right that you or your DH is an architect or something like that? I still haven't been to your house, hopefully we will make it to one of these again someday!

Old 03-22-2009, 03:40 PM

Alyssa is the architect! :

Alyssa, I've been meaning to be in touch with you! I'm happy you're camping!
Old 03-22-2009, 09:10 PM

That's right I am an architect. LizzyQ, feel free to give your friend my contact info. We haven't actually built our "green" home yet, we're still living in a 100 year old farm house and trying to make it as sustainable as possible.

Thanks Deborah! We didn't end up camping but still had a great time! We'll be camping soon I hope!!!! Let's get together soon... I want to share what I've been up to with you!
Old 03-26-2009, 02:58 PM

Utah Urban Homesteaders are going to WHEELER FARM!!! :

The cost is $2.50 per person, this includes a tour of the farmhouse, the animals, a wagon ride and cow milking. Tentative dates are Wednesday, April 15 OR Wednesday, April 29th from 3-5:30pm (cow milking starts at 5pm)

Please let me know which date is better for you all as well as how many adults & how many kids. We will go based on what works best for most.

We need to pay at least 25% down when they approve our time & date slot.

User Tag List