Mothering Forum banner

Any Urban Homesteaders in the SLC, UT area???

15K views 344 replies 28 participants last post by  anjis 
#1 ·
I just found out about this movement and am way excited!!!

My family unknowingly has been living this way to some extent and was wondering in anyone in the SLC area knowns about Urban Homesteading?

I would love to exchange ideas, experiences, and such.

#282 ·
Mardi Gras is the 24th. 2 or 3:00 seems to be a pretty good time for most of us. Could you see if we could use the Wasatch Commons Community Center? If they are having their own Mardi Gras event we could probably do it on Monday the 23rd. And of course we would want to do something in return for them letting us use the space... any ideas?

#283 ·
I have a cute brown horse and a black and red jacket that are missing thier little boy. I have told them they will be returned soon.

Stephanie- Just PM me your address and I can drop them by either Saturday while running errands or Sunday evening or if you prefer to pick them up, that is fine too. Sunday evening would be best.

#285 ·
Worms?! Are the worms composting worms or night crawlers?

I would also love to get some worms but was thinking it needed to be warmer till I could, in that, we do not have a big enough compost pile yet for them to stay warm.

I would love the apple guys number for when we do want to get worms.

If anyone has left over squash, peas or greens seed let me know. The seeds we got from the seed swap are doing wonderfully. The kids have really enjoyed the process so far. I cant wait for them to see how much they have sprouted.

#287 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by purplepetal21 View Post
Worms?! Are the worms composting worms?
They are red wiggler composting worms. I have them in a rubbermaid in the back room.

Quote:

Originally Posted by delfuego View Post
Julie, did you hear back from Wasatch Commons? If we can't do the Mardi Gras party there I'll volunteer my house.
I haven't heard. I will be seeing Vicky (our sponsor) tomorrow pm. I will remind her then. Immediately after I sent her the email question, there was a death that effected us both, so it would have been awkward (i think?) to discuss a mardi gras party? Me, however, I have no tact, and will gladly talk to her tomorrow at the post memorial dinner, which is ALSO at Wasatch Commons.
I'm bad like that.
Sagan made friends with another little homeschooled girl over there, and turns out Mark served them up jello shots as he manned the door for Halloween.
yes, he gave out jello shots to the parents that were taking their kiddles around; but it worked out. Now we have even MORE friendly forces.

I am so freaking excited about getting chicks. I saw on the IFA sign that their chicks are IN! I don't know what they carry. I'm not even going to go down there, because I'll end up with even MORE chicks.

#289 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by LizzyQ View Post
Julie - If you see any houses for rent in your area, let me know. It would be great to live close to wasatch commons and UUH community

I'll keep my eyes open!
There's a really cool labyrinth on the Jordan River trail right by me too! Very cool. I also love the Supermercado down the street.

#290 ·
We got our chicks from a farm in Sandy last summer. Saw the ad on ksl and dh went and picked out several. She had a really good variety; I think she just ordered them from one of those online places. We got 2 day olds, but she had older ones as well, and all 6 of our were indeed hens.

#291 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by salt_phoenix View Post
I have no tact
I'm bad like that.
I'm glad I'm not the only one!

Quote:

Mark served them up jello shots as he manned the door for Halloween.
yes, he gave out jello shots to the parents that were taking their kiddles around; but it worked out. Now we have even MORE friendly forces.

I think we're having mojitos at the Mardi Gras party

Notyetamommy... I think we're going to start with hens.
Yay!!!

#293 ·
You are all invited to Mardi Gras... Utah Urban Homesteader stylie!

When: Tuesday, February 24, 2:00
Where: My House (tentatively - we may change the location to Wasatch Commons if we are able), please email me or post a reply on this thread if you need my address.
What:
- Real Cajun chicken and sausage gumbo
- King Cake (a mardi gras tradition)
- Mojitos

- Sewing - we will make masks and crowns for the kids
- Dress up is encouraged!!!

Laisse Le Bon Temps Roulet!

#299 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by purplepetal21 View Post
I arrived late and so dont know if LizzyQ or Springbabes made it. Did you ladies get Alyssa's address?
Nope, I posted too late, I guess. Oh well..

#301 ·
Quote:

LizzyQ: You can take a space in my yard for gardening if you want. I have tons of it. I have another friend who is taking a couple 5x10ish spots. Have you found a place yet? You should drive around my neighborhood.
Haven't found a place yet. I did come accross a listing on KSL for a 2 bed house in south SL, on a half acre, with a well even, but I am waiting to here back from the owner, who said that it is not available yet.

Then our back-up plan is MIL's house in Farmington (renting out her basement apt) which would also be nice for gardening, plus she has a spring at her house.

I'll talk to DH and see what he thinks about gardening at your place. He might just try to start one up at his mom's.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.