Mothering Forum banner

Any Urban Homesteaders in the SLC, UT area???

15K views 344 replies 28 participants last post by  anjis 
#1 ·
I just found out about this movement and am way excited!!!

My family unknowingly has been living this way to some extent and was wondering in anyone in the SLC area knowns about Urban Homesteading?

I would love to exchange ideas, experiences, and such.

#5 ·
When I lived downtown, I recall walking past houses that were obviously urban homesteads (food, not lawns). I can't for the life of me think where any of them are, specifically, but for sure around the U and the aves.

DH and I plan to have an urban homestead if we are unable to move somewhere more rural when he is done with school. For now, I'm busting sod and attempting to force some food from the weeds in the field behind our house! I'm 100% down with the movement and DH is mostly convinced because it means not mowing a lawn!

These guys are in Cali, but I like to check in on them every now and then. They also have a book.

#6 ·
YEAH!!! So glad to see there are more people interested in Urban Homesteading in SLC.

I was not aware of the movement until I stumbled upon a thread here and WOW!

As for what I understand... its all about creating as much of a self-sustaining, self-producing "farm-like" environment in the city. i.e. gardening, raising chickens, canning your own produce, etc..

I would love to exchange ideas, get/give support and share stories.

If you would like to know more, this site has a list of other urban homesteading sites. I really liked the Little Homestead in the City

I look forward to connecting, growing, and laughing with ya all!!

#7 ·
I just checked out the Mother Earth article and I had to giggle because this is what I had thought Urban Homesteading (UH) had meant... moving into an abandoned home and claiming it as mine.

But upon further investigating I realized that there are apparently two types of UH and I am referring to the one mentioned below.

I hope this clears up any confusion!

#9 ·
I have met a woman that lives at the Boing Collective if I am remembering correctly. Sounds cool!! I don't know if they would call themselves Urban Homesteaders or not but I would imagine they follow many of the principles.

I would like to create a list of ways families can become more self sufficient and how/where in SLC to go for supplies, ideas, support etc.

Here are a few I have jotted down. Please feel free to add to the list!!!!
  • Grow your own produce.
    • Make as much of our outdoor space eatable as possible
      • Convert lawn, add edible plants to flower beds, container gardening, garden plot
    • Plant supplies
      • Wasatch Community Garden Plant Sale - wonderful heirlooms
      • Red Butte Garden Plant Sale - great variety
      • Millcreek Garden Nursery - nice helpful staff, Red Butte Garden membership discount
    • Green House for off season production
  • Compost kitchen scraps
    • Utah Recycling up in Park City- apparently has a nice composter for $
  • Make your own Bread
    • Practice, Practice, Practice (it is a lot harder than you think)
    • Share recipes
  • Preserve what you produce
    • Canning
    • Dry herbs
  • Make your own Cheese
    • Find a local dairy farm
    • Goat farm
      • Drake Family Goat Farm -apparently you can go there and even ask for unpasteurized milk
    • Learn how
  • Make your own Brew/Wine/Kid-friendly beverages
    • Home Brewing Supplies
      • Beer Nut 1200 S. State
    • Connect with other homebrewers
  • Buy locally as much as possible
    • Buy Local First Directory
  • Livestock
    • Chickens
      • Eggs
      • Fertilizer/Bug control
      • Meat.. hey if I am going to eat it I might as well do the dirty job myself.. though I have to admit I might just go Veggie instead.. not much of a killer instinct in me
    • Goats
      • Milk
      • Weed control
  • Connect with other Utah Urban Homesteaders
    • Potlucks
    • Farm Field trips

#13 ·
Yes, yes, yes!

Hi all, I hadn't signed on to mdc for awhile... and I come back to find urban homesteaders in SLC!!! Cool!

I am a homesteader in the making! DH and I have designed a self sustaining home with attached greenhouse to build on 13th South across from Liberty Park. We will be using passive heating and cooling, creating our own power, harvesting rainwater, using greywater for irrigation, and we plan to grow all the fruits and vegetables we need to feed our family plus some. I'm still trying to talk DH into having chickens but we'll see how that goes! The house will be built nearly completely out of recycled and waste stream materials. So far the city has been very excited and supportive. Check out our website:
www.gorilladesign.org

Right now, I have a small container garden so that I can move it when we start construction. I am learning about food preservation (canning, fermenting, etc.) and am loving it!!! I make kombucha and just started our first batch of mead. I used to love baking bread but it has been so long that I'm learning it all over again... it's not at all like riding a bike!!! I am also trying to get together a group to make buying raw milk from Orem more feasible... pm me if you're interested! Oh yeah, and if anyone knows a good place to order a whole cow from (hormone free, pastured and as little antibiotics as possible)... our source just sold his ranch.

Let's keep this thread going and hopefully all meet soon... share the knowledge and all that!

#14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by delfuego View Post
Yes, yes, yes!

Hi all, I hadn't signed on to mdc for awhile... and I come back to find urban homesteaders in SLC!!! Cool!

I am a homesteader in the making! DH and I have designed a self sustaining home with attached greenhouse to build on 13th South across from Liberty Park. We will be using passive heating and cooling, creating our own power, harvesting rainwater, using greywater for irrigation, and we plan to grow all the fruits and vegetables we need to feed our family plus some. I'm still trying to talk DH into having chickens but we'll see how that goes! The house will be built nearly completely out of recycled and waste stream materials. So far the city has been very excited and supportive. Check out our website:
www.gorilladesign.org

Right now, I have a small container garden so that I can move it when we start construction. I am learning about food preservation (canning, fermenting, etc.) and am loving it!!! I make kombucha and just started our first batch of mead. I used to love baking bread but it has been so long that I'm learning it all over again... it's not at all like riding a bike!!! I am also trying to get together a group to make buying raw milk from Orem more feasible... pm me if you're interested! Oh yeah, and if anyone knows a good place to order a whole cow from (hormone free, pastured and as little antibiotics as possible)... our source just sold his ranch.

Let's keep this thread going and hopefully all meet soon... share the knowledge and all that!

RIGHT ON! have you started on it yet??

#15 ·
Welcome Delfuego
So glad there are more Urban Homesteading Women in SLC!!!

Been thinking about hosting a potluck style social where everyone brings home grown/made food, we would share ideas and then someone would share a skill i.e. How to make your own cheese! If people are interested we could even hold it once a month at various houses.

It would look something like this:

:
:
:
:

Basically that translate into an idea spreadin, joy creatin, tree huggin, food grubbin, kid-friendly, conversation flowin, hand clappin, good time!!!

What do you all think?

#17 ·
Well, about 10 years ago I had GOATS and a GARDEN in Sugarhouse... yes, goats.

Now I live in an RV and have only 1 aloe plant... oh and I grow sprouts

I'm all about the urban homesteading... well, when we get another home.

#18 ·
I am so excited to move! we are going to be moving to the area on Sep 1st. This is just what we want to do, I didn't know that it was called anything! We are looking for a house to rent in Sugarhouse. I guess that is the best place to look. We are trying to survive with only 1 car.(my dh is in sales and will be driving all over the place) I have 3 kids and I homeschool. we definitley want to have a garden. Chickens and goats would be great but probably most landlords would say no. If anyone has any suggestions about places to live that are good for biking and walking places w/3 kids in tow lemme know!

#19 ·
Welcome Salt Pheonix and KissyKoko!!

Salt- Seeing as you are an old goat/chicken handler...we may need to have you share your knowledge at one of our get-togethers.

Kissy-I dont know about goats but I have known of people renting that have had chickens. Cross your fingers!!

#21 ·
we did the chicken coop tour "tour de coops" sponsored by Wasatch Community Gardens and saw lots of urban homesteading complete with goats!

I want to do this, but my time is limited lately... I have a small house on a large lot with a little "orchard" in the back. We'll do the chicken thing soon.

My neighbors have a 1/4 acre with a victorian house on it and are doing amazing things!

It's fun to be in touch with y'all!

#22 ·
Thanks Delfuego!!!

Sorry I haven't posted for a while. Busy moving and getting ready for starting my playschool for the coming school year.

So I ran into another UUH (Utah Urban Homesteader) and she said she would be willing to give a little demonstration on canning at one of our little get
togethers!!!

What do you ladies think?! Shall we meet and organize a UUH Social for September? It is almost canning time!!!

#24 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by purplepetal21 View Post
Thanks Delfuego!!!

Sorry I haven't posted for a while. Busy moving and getting ready for starting my playschool for the coming school year.

So I ran into another UUH (Utah Urban Homesteader) and she said she would be willing to give a little demonstration on canning at one of our little get
togethers!!!

What do you ladies think?! Shall we meet and organize a UUH Social for September? It is almost canning time!!!

I would love to!

Quote:

Originally Posted by purplepetal21 View Post
Welcome Emma-
Wish I would have known about the tour. It sounds like it would have been fun. My little one definitely would have loved it!
Me too!

#25 ·
Hi everybody, we found a place near liberty park and the landlady said we could have hens! I am really excited to move up there. There are already garden boxes but I doubt I will have anything to can but I would love to come to the canning demo to watch. My kids are so cute;4yrold ds said"can that be my chore,finding the eggs?" My dd (7) is on a little house Laura Ingalls binge. We just finished the whole series! I grew up in LA in an apt. so I am very new to all of this but very enthusiastic!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.