Moving to Tucson - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 09-24-2008, 09:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Finally we have employment in Arizona. My DH has been looking out of state for 2 months, and finally, finally a decent offer with a great company! We can FINALLY get the heck out of Michigan.

So he signed the offer today, and a start date of October 13. So we have just a couple of weeks to try to get as much done from Michigan as possible.

I have a DD who is hearing impaired and currently goes to an amazing preschool for deaf and hard of hearing kids. It's part of the regular public school system here and funded by our county. I called down to Tucson School for the Blind and Deaf and got a HUGE run-around. Since my DD is only 4 they say she doesn't qualify for programs until Kindy, but here in MI she has been in a special program for 2 years already. Anyone have any idea how to weed thru all this BS?

Also, we are looking in the Catalina Foothills area for a rental home. We figure we can rent for a year and then once we really get to know the area, buy. Are there other areas we should be looking at? Our big needs are fantastic school system, active neighborhoods, community features (pool, park, etc...) safety, diversity (young families, old families, different religions, nationalities, etc...)

Also, any realtor recommendations?

Thanks! We are so excited to be getting out of Michigan, finally!!

Our kids are 22, 5, 5, and 4
#2 of 17 Old 09-25-2008, 12:28 AM

Hi there,

congrats on your upcoming move to tucson! I grew up here but only recently moved back this month. I've gotta say, I'm really liking it!

I don't know a lot about the AZ school for the deaf and blind, but I do know that my landlord works there. If it would help, I could try to contact her to see if you can get some better help there. just send me a private message if you'd like me to try.

-Sarah
#3 of 17 Old 09-26-2008, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter

DH will be working by the airport, is Catalina Foothills going to be too much of a commute? Can anyone recommend good neighborhoods/cities/schools closer to the airport? (Raytheon is his employer)
#4 of 17 Old 09-27-2008, 01:00 AM

: Hello! Another fellow family from Michigan here!!! Just moved here a couple of months ago from Clinton Township, MI to Marana, AZ (just north of Tucson, near Oro Valley - very nice growing area to check out on your housing search, and the driving distance is reasonable). We actually live with someone who works for Raytheon, and it is one of the best places to work out here. Be forwarned though - public schools aren't as good out here in Arizona from what I have been told by many families out here (look into Charter schools - the family we are staying with seems to really be happy with them). Congrats on your move!!! YOU ARE GOING TO LOVE IT HERE (Mountain/desert views everywhere you look)!!!!
#5 of 17 Old 09-27-2008, 03:08 AM

Have you called Miles? It's a small public school in Mid-Tucson, but they also have a preschool. A large population of the children there are hearing impaired and the children are all taught ASL as a second language. It's a very popular school here. They may not have any openings because it's mid-year, but I would definitely look into them.

Congrats on your move, we moved here five years ago and love it! The summers are hard, but the community is wonderful!!
#6 of 17 Old 09-27-2008, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by britta9913 View Post
DH will be working by the airport, is Catalina Foothills going to be too much of a commute? Can anyone recommend good neighborhoods/cities/schools closer to the airport? (Raytheon is his employer)
Um, yes that is going to be QUITE a drive!!! I promise you, they are wayyyyyyy opposite ends of town. There are new subdivisions coming up in the area though, quite a few in fact, but I don't know of what type of people are going in to them. It would be worth checking out I think, because it really is a big drive. There's a bunch going in off of I-10 and the freeway heading SE, and there's quite a few going in by Valencia and I-10, both of which would put you guys fairly close to Raytheon.

fambedsingle2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifHappy to be a mommy and teacher to D fencing.gif, born 1-17-06 via waterbirth.jpg  and A  blahblah.gif, born 10-6-08 with a homebirth.jpghomeschool.gif

#7 of 17 Old 09-27-2008, 01:18 PM

my dh works on the north west side and we live south east... its a 45 minute drive in rush hour- but a different 45 minutes than michigan... I grew up there and I have worked upwards of an hour from my house.... its mostly freeway driving and bumpber to bumper traffic- you really wont see much of that here

nak

If I could move here and move anywhere IN TOWN (we live in the house dh grew up in) I would move to the sam hughes neighborhood..... or in one of the neighbourhoods in the grant & swan area that have some land. an old house with real construction that is traditional.

If you dont mind being out of town a little.....
we just looked at a couple houses in civano... it would be a straight shot down valencia for you. They have their own nursery, farmers market, and their own school system that is great. we have talked to a lot of parents that love it there. We would move their in a heartbeat if our house would sell. :eyeroll:

personally I don't like the oro valley area or the new construction neighbourhoods AT ALL.

they look really out of place here and more and more like the midwest. Plus most of them are framed stucco and not masonry.

~jen~ )O( mama to k 07/05 o 5/08 and c 12/09
#8 of 17 Old 09-27-2008, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you Jen! Where is Civano? I tried google maps and came up empty. I also couldn't find the Civano district on greatschools.net or schooldigger.com.
#9 of 17 Old 09-28-2008, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter

Any opinions of Vail elementary schools? Sycamore? Acacia?

This is mind boggling...
#10 of 17 Old 09-28-2008, 01:15 PM

http://www.civanoneighbors.com/civano/homes/

http://www.civanoneighbors.com/civano/school.htm

~jen~ )O( mama to k 07/05 o 5/08 and c 12/09
#11 of 17 Old 09-29-2008, 11:01 AM

Oooh Civano is awesome! Very pretty and neat development. Still a drive but it would be mostly freeway miles, which is very different then town-only miles.

fambedsingle2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifHappy to be a mommy and teacher to D fencing.gif, born 1-17-06 via waterbirth.jpg  and A  blahblah.gif, born 10-6-08 with a homebirth.jpghomeschool.gif

#12 of 17 Old 09-29-2008, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks !! Looks like a wonderful place to live. I have asked our realtor to check it out for us while we continue to pack up for the move down. Hopefully I will be in town the week of Nov 3.
#13 of 17 Old 10-29-2008, 07:56 PM

Hi,

A little late to reply, but just came upon this. I live in Civano and my hubby works for Raytheon too. We do love it here. We have a very active "Civano Tykes" group that welcomes everyone. We just rotate houses to host. My daughter jsut started at Civano School and loves it (BUT, its small and I'd highly recommend talking to them about getting on the list immediately if there is even a chance you want to go there as its filling up fast... its free, but its a charter school with only about 65 students total and you don't need to live here to go there) But the other option is Senita Valley which sounds good too.

But we are really far from the school for the deaf and blind if thats a concern. Good luck!
#14 of 17 Old 10-30-2008, 12:01 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks! We have applied for a home in Civano, we will know in a few days if we are approved. We are excited.

I spoke with the preschool coordinator for the Deaf school and she said my daughter would be bussed to the school once we go thru the process of evaluation, etc... So that is a relief.

We will be moving the 1st week of December (if we are approved, please send prayers and positive thoughts!!)

erin
#15 of 17 Old 10-30-2008, 01:08 AM

Good luck!
#16 of 17 Old 10-31-2008, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter

We found out this morning that we have been approved to rent the house in Civano! We move in Nov 15th!

Sooo excited, now I just need to get plugged in to the groups down there.

Thanks everybody!

Erin
#17 of 17 Old 10-31-2008, 04:33 PM

I sent you a PM to help you with that! Congratulations! I hope you love it here as much as we do!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page