Homebirth vs. Hospital - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 10-09-2008, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had my first child in a hospital. I had a great midwive and was able to have a successful natural childbirth. It was a good experience over all, but there were lots of things about the hospital policies/procedures that I didn't like. I hated being induced, not being allowed to eat, being strapped to a monitor, my baby being taken to the nursery when she had an Apgar score of 9, having my vitals taken every 4 hours, even if I was sleeping, etc.

I'm interested in a homebirth or going to a birthing center. I love the idea of having control and not being told what I can and can't do. But I'm afraid. I know lots of healthy babies are born all the time in such circumstances, but the fact is there's no guarantee that something won't go wrong. I feel like though the chances may be low for complications, that the stakes are just too high.

Any thoughts, words of wisdom, advice?
#2 of 5 Old 10-10-2008, 12:40 AM

Hi marenras!

Have you checked out the homebirth forum on MDC? It's under "Birth and Beyond"---you should definitely check it out. They have a ton of "stickies" with FAQs and useful stuff about homebirth, and lots of people with many experiences to share.

I would say explore the homebirth option! I had a homebirth last year and it was wonderful. It was my first birth, so I can't compare it to being in the hospital. But I felt totally safe and comfortable... I learned a ton about labor and delivery, and was really confident that my body would guide me and I'd get through it. I was also very confident in my midwife.

I think you should contact some homebirth midwives in your area (where are you?) and just talk to them honestly about it. Talk to them about your fears, listen to their experiences. The vast majority of the time, a midwife will see signs of trouble far before a birth becomes an emergency, and you can be transferred to the hospital with plenty of time. But especially since you've already had one successful, natural, birth, it sounds like you're a really good candidate for a homebirth.

Do check out the homebirth board here, I think you'll find it very informative!

-sarah
#3 of 5 Old 10-10-2008, 01:00 PM

Great post above.

My fears of "what if" were eased very early on. I asked tons of questions (what complications have you dealt with, how did you handle them, what happens if x,y,z), and my midwives addressed all of them. Homebirth is a little frightening if you are not educated about it, but the more you learn the scarier the hospital seems!

Positive outcomes are not guaranteed just because you are in a hospital, and as the above poster mentioned, your MW should be able to spot most trouble coming in more than enough time to get you to a hosp if needed.
And no matter where you end up birthing, I think the care a MW gives you is far superior to a mainstream OB.

Mom to two intact boys, born at home. DS1 11/07, DS2 9/10
#4 of 5 Old 10-11-2008, 06:39 AM

After working as a labor and delivery nurse for 6 years in 3 different hospitals, I felt that I could have a safer birth at home (many of the things that hospitals do actually cause problems). I had a dream birth at home, despite a very significant hemorrhage (which the midwife handled with expertise that could rival any doctor I had seen). Our next baby is due in March... we are planning another home birth.
#5 of 5 Old 10-11-2008, 08:01 PM

I had both my babies at home and it was awesome. The first was perfect and could not have gone easier or better. The second got stuck twice and was definitely a more difficult delivery. I am SO incredibly glad I chose homebirth, especially for number two. I had a skilled midwife who helped me deliver him naturally without tearing. She had me change positions, applied hot compresses, etc. I know if I had been in a hospital they would have been worried silly and wheeled me in to have a c-section pronto. I was able to do everything I needed to do to make labor as comfortable as possible. My babies were both born into my hands in our own bed. It just doesn't get better than that!

Divorced mama to baby girl (7/5/06) and baby boy (8/5/08) Into anything fun and creative!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page