Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
big sur

if youve ever been there, no explination is needed
#3 of 46 Old 01-15-2009, 02:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Medecino. Or even further north. Because money does grow on trees there!
#4 of 46 Old 01-15-2009, 04:29 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Probably West Marin County--Point Reyes, Bolinas, Stinson Beach, etc...-- because it's so gorgeous and it's a reasonable distance to S.F.--and I need my city fix.
#5 of 46 Old 01-15-2009, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artgoddess View Post
big sur

if youve ever been there, no explination is needed
Ditto this.
#6 of 46 Old 01-16-2009, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeresaZofia View Post
Probably West Marin County--Point Reyes, Bolinas, Stinson Beach, etc...-- because it's so gorgeous and it's a reasonable distance to S.F.--and I need my city fix.
:

Happily married with two tots (babyboy.gif J 10/18/08) & (babygirl.gif T 5/03/10) 

#7 of 46 Old 01-16-2009, 10:02 PM

Yup, West Marin County. My second choice would be El Dorado Hills just because I would love to be close to Tahoe but be near the shopping that Folsom has....I love the American Rivers.
#8 of 46 Old 01-17-2009, 03:15 AM
AJP

Quote:
Originally Posted by janasmama View Post
My second choice would be El Dorado Hills
I'm in that county (El Dorado), and real estate prices are plummeting here. Might be some real home-buying opportunities in the near future for people without money trees. (Of course, if banks just aren't giving loans to much of anyone, that's no help.)

There is no secret ingredient.
#9 of 46 Old 01-18-2009, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Me too! I totally agree with you! It's no wonder the Bolinas residents hide the highway sign.
#10 of 46 Old 01-18-2009, 03:44 AM

Quote:
I agree. San Geronimo Valley area is great too.
#11 of 46 Old 01-18-2009, 02:22 PM

In a redwood grove in the country of unincorporated Sebastopol. I love Sebastopol and love the redwoods and would ideally like to live on plenty of land where we could build our own home, be submersed in nature, be close to the ocean and have plenty of room for the kids to romp around and explore, safely.

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.
#12 of 46 Old 01-18-2009, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Hi ya'll! I'm a native chicoan, transplanted to Vancouver, Canada for the last 10 years (including a magical year on bowen island) and now we're in New Zealand for a year or two...

when we come back to north america (family and all that jazz) we'd like to live in California for a while, or maybe forever, to be near family and friends there. West Marin county is home to one of the companies that my dh could work for, and I've just been checking out that area a little more closely...

is it really just insanely expensive to live in any area there at all? are there any regions that aren't? My dream would be a somewhat rural/greenish area that wasn't too far from the whole Lucas empire there -- ideally under 30 minutes commute each way... does that exist? we're renters, paying off debt, and will arrive back in CA *hopefully* debt free, but not likely to have any savings to speak of, though my husband's industry pays well, we've just always had too much debt to feel the rewards of that...(student/stay at home mom pair for years, musician before that = debt)

enough of my blabbering! thanks for the tips!

We're Tiffani , Mark , Lucy (9/99) , Dexter (8/01) ,and Zachary Marvin (3/07) and Naomi Rose (6/09), home 11/10, by way of Ugandan adoption.

#13 of 46 Old 01-19-2009, 12:07 AM

Mill Valley, San Anselmo, West Marin (if dh didn't need to commute to work), or certain neighborhoods in San Francisco - Noe Valley, Seacliff, Hayes Valley, Inner Sunset.
#14 of 46 Old 01-19-2009, 12:22 AM

I'd live in a downtown highrise apartment in San Jose. Or down on the new waterfront in San Francisco.
#15 of 46 Old 01-19-2009, 03:04 AM

Big Sur & West Marin are so beautiful. They would be fantastic places to live. Point Reyes also has nice, local food, too. It's hard to say, though. I also like a lot of sunshine. Maybe on several acres somewhere in the Napa Valley on a hillside with a huge garden & vineyards. I also keep tossing about the idea of moving back to San Francisco, though. I can't decide if I'm a city girl or want to live on several acres in the middle of nowhere with lots of gardens, a few chickens and let the children run around all day.

SAHM to F & P, : fraternal twins born 3/05, : I, born 12/07 & at 5 weeks in July 2009
#16 of 46 Old 01-19-2009, 03:11 AM

Calistoga or Mill Valley.

Beautiful, but close to 'real cities.'

for intuitive readings click here :
#17 of 46 Old 01-21-2009, 11:26 PM

SF. Maybe Berkeley or Oakland. Possibly Napa, San Rafael or Walnut Creek. (Can you tell my family lives in the Bay Area?)

But most likely, we'd live in The City.

I wish
#18 of 46 Old 02-04-2009, 05:24 PM

North Bay - Mill Valley, Stinson, etc... Just so beautiful and nice and close to the city, beaches, etc... My job has us trapped in Sac long term, though! Poor DH, who is not a fan.
#19 of 46 Old 02-05-2009, 06:23 PM

Probably either the Berkeley, Albany, Oakland or Hayward Hills. Also, possibly El Cerrito.

NishaG momsling.GIF - Wife to Big K for 20 years - Mama to KJ and KC, and our 1st baby girl, KS, born 1/20/12 familybed1.gif diaper.gif!

#20 of 46 Old 02-09-2009, 02:49 AM

It's not technically Northern CA, but Santa Cruz would be my first choice--hands down-- then Carmel, then Big Sur or Mendocino. I used to live in Santa Cruz (two houses from Seabright Beach) and I miss it daily.

I really do like Sacramento, though. it's a good compromise for us and I have been successful in my career here, which would be more difficult to accomplish in smaller communities.
#21 of 46 Old 02-09-2009, 03:11 AM

I grew up in Stockton (I'll be back there for the summer) and if we could move back to California, our dream is Humbolt or Arcata. I think I might like living in Berkeley but city life gets to me, I do know that I'd love to get my PhD from there. Go Bears! I feel pretty lucky that there's a family house in San Francisco so I have a nice place to stay whenever I go to the city. I truly need to spend more time in Yosemite, but I don't think I could ever live in the area. My friend was living in Merced and I did not like what I heard about it...

M.Ed. Mama to Chunka (1/07), Beauty (5/09) and Elizabear 3/12): Birth Doula (working toward certification) AAMI Midwifery Student, Advocating with Solace for Mothers & The Birth Survey

#22 of 46 Old 02-10-2009, 07:02 PM

Exactly where we live now...Pacifica. It's 15 minutes from The City, so we both work there and make City money. Right now we live 20 feet from the ocean and about 100 feet from the pier. It's beautiful for sure and the people are nicer than the city. It's a laid back, hippie, surfer town.

We just found a SMALL two bedroom house for rent that we'll move into in 3 weeks for guess how much?

$1950/month!!!

But it's worth it to live here, we think.

Beth- WOHM slinggirl.gif  -Madly in love with my Wife- SAHMhola.gifandbabyf.gifSophia, born 11/2/10, at home! homebirth.jpgExpressing love, one ounce at a time!  1pump.gif

#23 of 46 Old 02-10-2009, 07:06 PM

Stinson Beach is our dream...one day...

Otherwise, we honeymooned in Mendocino/Little River (beautiful if you don't mind being far form cities), and would love to return.

Is Monterey too far South? Love that spot, too.

Darcy mama to Dillon, Marah and Leo, partner to Jeremy
#24 of 46 Old 02-13-2009, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2+twins View Post
In a redwood grove in the country of unincorporated Sebastopol. I love Sebastopol and love the redwoods and would ideally like to live on plenty of land where we could build our own home, be submersed in nature, be close to the ocean and have plenty of room for the kids to romp around and explore, safely.
: me too!!! crunchy crunch
#25 of 46 Old 02-19-2009, 02:42 AM

Mill Valley, San Anselmo, or Muir Beach (maybe Stinson Beach, but I like that Muir is closer!) are all pretty ideal to me. I really like Pacifica as well. I love the combination of anywhere that is close to the water, and close to the city!
#26 of 46 Old 02-19-2009, 05:31 AM

Location: In the Central Valley, dreaming of my home by the bay..
Crockett

It's close to home, Martinez, but not too close. It's pretty and unique

SpiralScoutin' Homeschoolin' Mama to Michael, Citizen of Portlandia, age 21, Danielle, Artist in Residence, Age 9 & Jack-Jack, Minecraft Maniac, Age 6
#27 of 46 Old 02-21-2009, 09:03 PM

I'm in Sacramento, transplant from Baltimore, and you know....I really like it here!!! I like being close to Tahoe and close enough to visit SF in a day trip without dealing with the horrid traffic of the Bay Area.

I guess if I HAD to pick a place other than Sacto., I'd probably say Truckee - because I'd be *IN* the snow and be able to teach my kids to snowboard in our own yard. Plus, the summer's are cool and beautiful there.

An incredibly thankful SAH Mommy to 3 fiendishly enchanting girls 11/04,10/05, & 12/06. 

#28 of 46 Old 02-22-2009, 01:34 AM

we live between santa rosa and sebastopol. we love it! wouldnt trade it for anything!

joyful mama to DS 2-05, open adoption birthmama to DD 5-07: and DS 6-98, and my littlest one 7-09. crazy in love with DH!
#29 of 46 Old 03-07-2009, 05:50 PM

I live in Pacific Grove on the Monterey Peninsula and honestly it is one of the most beautiful areas in the entire world. On top of that we have this amazing small-town feel and mentality. It's really great. I just don't know if I will ever be able to buy a house here.

Jenn, future midwife, mama to 2 sweet girls (6/05) and (5/07). 
#30 of 46 Old 03-10-2009, 03:27 AM

We moved to Oregon from California 1.5 years ago. But if we could pick somewhere to live in Northern California again, it would be back in Pacific Grove. Maybe Carmel. But we loved Pacific Grove. We just couldn't afford it on one income.

Danielle, fabric artist, mama to Eleanor 5/05 and Charlotte James 09-26-09

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page