Palm Springs anyone? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 01-21-2009, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think we're done moving around for now.
Anyone in Coachella Valley?
I am looking for a ped who's understanding about selective vax and a local store I can go to for CD's and stuff.

Thanks!
May
#2 of 9 Old 01-26-2009, 06:25 AM

Hi!

I'm up in Idyllwild, and Palm Springs is my backyard! There used to be an AP group in Palm Desert, but it fizzled out. There used to be a concise parenting group that would meet up at a children's furniture store (sounds weird, but it worked for them) in Indio- I think the store was called JadaBugs. Not sure if they still meet there.

Kissui in Redlands is one of the only local places that sells cloth diapers, carriers, etc.

The ped. issue came up quite a bit in the old AP group; it seemed like no one could find someone good out where you live. We ended up going to Riverside.

You might want to consider joining the Attachment Parents of the Inland Empire (APIE) yahoo group to see if anyone has any additional resources. You can also join Meetup.com and connect with some of the Palm-Springs area moms on there to see if there's anyone they recommend. And there's also the Barefoot Mama's Network in Redlands.

Hope that helps.

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer"
#3 of 9 Old 01-26-2009, 04:25 PM

Hi May
I am here in the Valley and am the facilitator of the CP group that Sparklett referred to (thanks Sparklett Yes, it takes place in the classroonm in Jadabugs. My husband and I own the store and we do sell cloth diapers, co-sleepers and slings along with baby furniture . Our group meets on Thursdays at 11. We also have a breastfeeding clinic on wed from 10-2. Feel free to contact me anytime with questions about peds and other like-minded organizations/friends. Hope to see you on Thursday.
The name of my other biz that Conscious Parenting is part of is For Moms and Babies and the office # is 342-7400
#4 of 9 Old 02-04-2009, 02:38 PM

Hey May!

I live in the CV. My girl's pediatrician (Dr. Carino-Gateb) has been really good about our selective/delayed vaxing but she was my pediatrician so she just might be being nice to me. I know there is a Dr who is awesome about it but I can't spell her name for the life of me. Dr. Rao I believe?

CDs and such I have no idea. When I was younger we went to the Record Ally in the Palm Desert mall but I believe that has been shut down. So has all the nice cafes for the more "alternative" crowd. Sorry I can't be of more help!

PM me if you want to chat!

-Maggie

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
#5 of 9 Old 02-06-2009, 12:38 AM - Thread Starter

yay! so thankful for the posts!
doula jbw, I work at the high school (Cat City) so I am bummed about missing the meeting dates. Funny enough, someone from TBW just emailed me about your store. I'll be sure to stop in!
Thanks Maggie! I'll p.m. you!

btw, isn't the weather simply glorious here?!
2 years ago, we were buried in snow in NYC (up until late April)! imagine my delight! :
#6 of 9 Old 02-06-2009, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maymorales View Post
btw, isn't the weather simply glorious here?!
2 years ago, we were buried in snow in NYC (up until late April)! imagine my delight! :
Yup! Love the "winters" here. We're not going to be having this conversation in August that's for sure!

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
#7 of 9 Old 02-07-2009, 05:02 PM

Right there with Maggie about the weather - you give me a call in July .Look forward to meeting you in the store. I am there most days.
#8 of 9 Old 02-08-2009, 03:04 AM - Thread Starter

lol! i try to block the summer out of my memory. i'm still in denial.
we were in imperial valley last year. that was hot like here AND humid in August.
#9 of 9 Old 06-18-2009, 05:39 PM

Hi ladies, we often visit the Palm Springs area and I was wondering if you had any suggestions for kid-friendly activities? Bonus if it's also 90 yo-friendly but I'm not pushing it. LOL. We've done the museum and found it really hard with two kids with different interests and energy levels. I've also done the Living Desert. Even a cool park is a great idea! Our relative lives in Cathedral City but we're from the LA area so driving is just part of our usual life.

Also, are there any solstice celebrations that are family-friendly? I haven't found any online.

Thank you!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page