Need a good family practice doc in Ventura County... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 04-02-2009, 01:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I did a search on here for Ventura before posting this thread, but it seems no one has asked this question. I did find a pediatrician reference though. I'm looking for a family practice doctor in Ventura County that we can all go to. We just moved to Thousand Oaks from Bakersfield.

Want somebody that won't freak out about me having a homebirth, delaying vax, breastfeeding, doesn't hand out antibiotics like candy, etc.

If you have any recommendations please share!

Thanks!
#2 of 8 Old 04-25-2009, 06:55 PM

hi! we're in Ventura, but i really am liking Dr. Margaret Peterson...found her thru my homebirth mw and we now use her for the fam. pretty good about the issues and a listener
#3 of 8 Old 05-29-2009, 07:57 PM

Hey you. I was just coming on here looking for the exact same thing. I still haven't found a pediatrician I like for Wiliam and haven't had any luck getting any good recommendations, either.

I can tell you, steer clear of Sheri Tysch. Do not like her one bit. And she won't even see you if you aren't following her vaccine schedule anyway.

I too am trying to find a good family doc for all of us, rather than just a pediatrician. Let me know if you get anywhere with this and I'll do the same.

#4 of 8 Old 06-11-2009, 10:08 PM

Not sure of a family doc but I went to an amazing midwife in Ventura. Karni at the Sunrise Birthing Center. I am sure if you call she will give you a great recommendation! Good luck!
#5 of 8 Old 08-12-2009, 04:07 PM

I've heard great things about Margaret Pederson in Ventura, although I don't know her personally. She is known to be very supportive of co-sleeping, breastfeeding, attachment parenting, etc. Also, Andrew Matthew is a pediatrician in Agoura/Oak Park that I HIGHLY recommend. He was my doctor when I was little and now he cares for my kids. He'll give you the pros and cons of delaying or declining vaccines, and he'll let you make the decision that is right for you. I had a home birth... we talked about it and while he believes the hospital is the safest place to have a baby, he didn't discourage me or try to scare me out of my decision. Excellent doctor, wonderful with the little ones. My kids love him.
Jen

Quote:"...our bodies must work pretty well, or their wouldn't be so many humans on the planet" --Ina May Gaskin
#6 of 8 Old 04-17-2013, 07:09 PM

I am due next week and looking for a pediatrician near(ish) Thousand Oaks. I will be researching the two recommendations above, but does anyone have any updates to those recommendations? Thanks! joy.gif

#7 of 8 Old 05-14-2013, 09:14 PM

A great pedi in TO is Dr Kawasaki. She's very MDC. Re: Dr Peterson, I've heard that's she's great with everything other than vaccines. A friend ended up firing her after yet another lecture by the doc when they again declined whatever vax was on the 'schedule'. We see Dr Hughes in Ventura at Surfside peds and LOVE her. As a co-sleeping, intact, non-vax, full term nursing, tandem nursing, etc family we feel supported and respected but also given the information from the 'other side' when asked. Not once have I been made to feel like my decisions were wrong and because of that I trust her when the kids need a more intensive treatment than perhaps I'd be comfortable with initially. 

Cindy, joyful SAH mama to rainbow1284.gif William & Katherinefly-by-nursing2.gif Forever missing Amelia 7-12-09 angel3.gif  signcirc1.gifsaynovax.giflactivist.gif Ask me about my natural cesarean! 

#8 of 8 Old 06-02-2013, 01:01 PM

Dr Kawasaki in Thousand Oaks is wonderful! We had our son in March and she has been warm and kind. She will offer any advice if you ask; she helped me make sure he was latched on properly. If you ask about vaccinations she will give a ton of research based advice & is very aware of the benefits of delaying vaccinations until their brains & respiratory systems are fully developed. (She is fine with no vaccines!). She supports the natural, healthy route!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page