non vaxers, San Diego - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-16-2009, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Any other mother's in San Diego chose not to vaccinate?
I did my research and, as a stay-at-home mom, I've decided not to continue with the vaccinations on my one-year-old. I might change my mind once she enters school or daycare though. Anyone else in the same boat?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2009, 12:23 PM

I am moving this to the CA tribe.

earth.gif trottin', pole dancing, Norway and Sweden lovin' , hippie.gif,WOHM Kiddos born waterbirth.jpg 12/11/06 and 08/09/08 
belly.gif with #3 puke.gif EDD:01/2013 yikes2.gif So in love loveeyes.gif with my sweet Swede 2twins.gif and my bonus-son 10/25/98 carrot.gif

Old 06-24-2009, 07:57 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Another SD mama who doesn't vax here.
Old 09-19-2009, 04:11 PM

I'm in the same situation. When my son was 1, I decided not to vax anymore. He is now 15 months old
Old 09-19-2009, 04:16 PM

We are delaying vaxes for DD until we decide what the best plan is...I would like to wait until at least age 2 and maybe not even then.

I have a supportive ped. if you need one!

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
Old 01-06-2010, 08:50 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My 7 and 4 year old have never had a vaccine. I'm a little further north by Temecula but I work in downtown San Diego. My 7 year old is also in school and my 4 year old goes to drop in daycare.

Desiree

Old 01-06-2010, 06:55 PM

I have a 5 year old who was vax'd up to 2 years and a 6 month old who has not had any vaccinations. I don't plan to vaccinate my youngest at all, if possible. My hope is to breastfeed until at least age two and she won't have to be in public child care for another 8 months.
I have Kaiser, and my pediatrician is surprisingly good about it. Of course, he always tells me that it is preferable to vaccinate, but never makes me feel uncomfortable or like a bad parent. I think he knows I've done my research and he knows that I know he's just doing his job by recommending them.
Old 01-10-2010, 05:34 PM

Mkloz,

Who is your Kaiser ped? And what facility does he work at? I have Kaiser and I'm looking for a ped that will be supportive, or at least accepting, of a non-vaxing family.

Thanks!
Amber

Planning a homebirth with our first in August · EDD 8/18
Old 01-11-2010, 02:38 AM

I just moved to Temecula, but was living in SD until a few months ago. I vax'd DS until he was 9 months then stopped, then gave him some more on a delayed schedule when he turned 3 (which I now regret -- well, I regret every vax I gave him). He is now 5. My 3 yo DD has only had 2 shots and will get no more.
Old 01-11-2010, 04:13 PM

My Kaiser pediatrician is Dr. Gilboa- he's at the Carlsbad kaiser. Good luck!
Old 02-04-2010, 07:43 PM

My daughter has none at all. She's in kindergarten now, in a public charter school, and more than half the school population is partially or non-vaccinated. Right now, chicken pox is going around.

Dr. Adema in Santee is very supportive of non-vaccinated families - probably the most in San Diego county. We started out with a different ped, but besides getting tired of the lectures and obnoxious waiver form that makes any parent sound like a criminal, he was obnoxiously arrogant.

chanale ✡, ❖bibliophile❖ ❇vegan❇ mom to diva (5½)
madly in with spiritwolf, dad to (9) & (5½)
Old 02-05-2010, 12:21 AM

My first two were shot up to oblivian and the last three are completely unvaccinated. I see Dr. Tami Nakahara and she is very respectful of my choices. My children go to a private school and their immunization status has been a non-issue. Just wanted to let you know there is another SD mom who understands and supports your vaccination choices.

Stephanie-33 lucky mama of 5 precious ones: DD-12, DS-9 , DS-6 , and DD-3 and Bridget Alannah  SHE'S ONE NOW! loving wife to DH-38
Old 02-05-2010, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkloz View Post
My Kaiser pediatrician is Dr. Gilboa- he's at the Carlsbad kaiser. Good luck!
I liked Dr. Gilboa--he was my kids' ped until we moved more inland. We also have a GREAT Kaiser ped. in Escondido now if you want a reference.

Wife to a wonderful dh and mom to four beautiful kiddos, dd (3/04):, ds1 (1/06), ds2 (10/08), and ds3 (7/10)
Old 03-23-2010, 06:08 PM

We live in San Diego. My son is 4 not yet vaccinated. I have no idea when to start. I am getting a lot of pressure from doctors and possible pre-schools. I've been staying home with him so he hasn't gone to school. I was told he needed his vaccinations to start school? Thanks!
Old 03-24-2010, 12:57 PM

My first ds is up to date on his vax, my dd I stopped at 18 months after starting off delayed. The newest one has none, I am still thinking about what to do. I just got his birth certificate through probate court due to him being a UC, so I am already on govt radar - hahaha
Old 03-25-2010, 06:25 PM

Another non-vaxing mom here. DS is 2.5 and still breastfeeds. We will have to travel to India eventually (to visit family) so we will end up selectively vaxing, but I keep pushing back on that.

We just moved here, but you can get exemptions so you don't have to vaccinate your child for school, correct?

Jennifer
SAHM to DS 6/2007 and one on the way due in October
Old 03-25-2010, 11:00 PM

my ds is 22 months and is completely unvaxed. i always thought we might start eventually, but that time hasn't come yet and it is looking more and more like its going to stay that way. we have just started looking at preschools for ds to start when he is 3 and though i know that CA has an exemption form (from what i understand you just sign the back of the vax form and thats it) it still makes me feel a little nervous, like they are going to kick us out or something.

chanale- can i ask which school your daughter is in?

we see Dr Nakahara as well, she's been great

Old 03-26-2010, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djenya View Post
We just moved here, but you can get exemptions so you don't have to vaccinate your child for school, correct?

CA allows for exemptions. The school websites all seem to say that a child's vaccinations must be up to date. Really, it is more that the vaccination forms have to be up to date - which can mean showing your child is fully vaccinated or that you sign an exemption or anything in between! We got the exemption form from our ped, but I am pretty sure you can get it online as well.
Old 03-28-2010, 12:32 AM

The exemption form is on the back of the green vaccination sheet that is a state requirement for all schools to have on hand for each student. The front is where all the child's vaccinations and dates received go. On the back is where you sign stating you object to vaccinating. You may get some sideway glances from the registrar or other administration but you are well within your rights to refuse. California has a philsophical exemption. No forms beyond that should be needed.

Stephanie-33 lucky mama of 5 precious ones: DD-12, DS-9 , DS-6 , and DD-3 and Bridget Alannah  SHE'S ONE NOW! loving wife to DH-38
Old 04-05-2010, 04:18 PM

Just wanted to say hi from another non-vaxer in SD!!! Sometimes I feel like the only one ... nice to know there are others out there

Wife to my loving husband, James.  Mother to a beautiful daughter, Jules (8/6/08).  Expecting twin girls September 19th, Jade and Jemma.

Old 04-06-2010, 05:31 PM
Banned

We haven't done any, either. We're not 100% opposed for all situations, but for now we can't imagine doing any. There are lots of others around, too! Most of my mama friends and playgroup pals don't.

User Tag List