Getting a SSN for a baby born at home - UPDATE - GOT IT - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-09-2010, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone done this recently in CA?

I have done it before, but am trying to remember what I needed to bring.

I have her birth certificate and my driver's license, but it seems from the form that you need more than one proof of identity. Will these two items work?

I'd hate to get there and not have what I need.

TIA
Tiffany

Teacher, Mother of 4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2010, 03:59 PM

I'm not sure about CA, but in KS you needed the birth certificate and a shot record. I just grabbed one of the little pink record books from my doc's office and filled it in myself

I would think it would be the same everywhere because it's a national government office, ykwim? I could be totally wrong though

Enjoying life with DH since 05/04 and our two boys Oliver 02/07 and Theodore 07/10 

Old 01-10-2010, 05:30 PM

We got our DD's at the Torrance office and they asked for her birth cert. and vaccination records.
Good luck!

Mama to Madelynn 8/16/2009 and awaiting buggy #2 March/2011 , partner to DH

Old 01-10-2010, 09:18 PM - Thread Starter

Perfect! Thanks for the advice.

Teacher, Mother of 4
Old 01-10-2010, 10:00 PM

So where does that leave people who delay or don't vax? Is that where grabbing the little pink record book comes in?

Ru , wife to DH . Astin (4/26/10) & Ember (5/19/10).
I have lost my dreams--Dar Williams
Old 01-10-2010, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifpaul View Post
Has anyone done this recently in CA?

I have done it before, but am trying to remember what I needed to bring.

I have her birth certificate and my driver's license, but it seems from the form that you need more than one proof of identity. Will these two items work?

I'd hate to get there and not have what I need.

TIA
Tiffany
I did it 2 years ago. Getting the birth certificate was the hard part, but once you have that, getting the SS# is easy. I went to my local SS office with birth certificate, driver's license and I think my own SS card from what I remember as that is the only other form of ID that I have. They asked about vaccines, but I just told them that I'm filing a personal exemption against vaccines, and the lady said, "really, you can do that?" And I explained to her the different kinds of exemptions that we have in California. She was nice about it. I'd call beforehand just to make sure that you do have everything you need beforehand.

Traditional & nutrient-dense foods/Weston A. Price Foundation advocate, Reiki II practitioner, EFT practitioner, past life & life between lives Hypnotherapist practitioner. Home birth with DD 2007 = never vaccinated, breastfed 3 years

Old 01-10-2010, 11:09 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
We've had hassles with both boys, because they were never satisfied enough with our proof of their existence. With DS1, they wouldn't accept a signed letter from my mw, on letterhead, detailing my LMP, her treatment of me, and her role at/witness of the birth, but they accepted a payment receipt from our ped's office, which didn't even have DS1's last name on it.

With DS2, I called to confirm whatever paperwork I needed to bring, they told me what I needed. I brought exactly what they'd told me to, and after I'd waited for over an hour with a 2 y/o and a newborn (and my mom, thank God!), I was told that it wasn't sufficient.

IIRC, you MUST bring the baby, your ID, the birth certificate, and one other form of identification, but I would bring two, minimum, just to be safe. If you've seen/are planning to see a pediatrician, I would get something official from them.

Contrary to what others have posted, I've found the BC process to be a whole lot easier!

(Sorry for my vent )

Crunchy wife to my high-school sweetheart, mama to DS (10/23/05) , DS (11/22/07) , DD (3/9/10) , and DS (5/26/12),  and three babies in Heaven.
Old 01-11-2010, 01:15 AM

I would add to that a letter from the paediatrician that s/he saw your child as a newborn patient, your prenatal records, and an announcement in the local newspaper if you are so inclined.

The San Fernando SSA office has always given me lots of hassles with this.
Old 01-11-2010, 03:12 AM

I've done it 4 times in CA. I had to bring the birth certificate and some form of identification. I remember they said they'd accept a baptism certificate, medical insurance card, or prenatal records or something like that but they wouldn't accept records from my midwife (OB only).

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.
Old 01-11-2010, 02:50 PM

I'm going in this week for it. The BC process was relatively painless - but then in this area, I suppose they're used to it.

For the SS#, I was told a certified copy of the birth certificate, my ID and my SS card, along with the actual baby.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

Old 01-11-2010, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter

I'm so glad I checked this thread one more time! I was about to go without the baby.

Thanks for all the great ideas. I'll take the BC, her health insurance card, her immunization "record", my IDs and her.

Teacher, Mother of 4
Old 01-19-2010, 02:48 PM

I took that stuff in last week and was told after sitting there for an hour that because I didn't have a second form of identity for the baby that had his birthdate on it, they wouldn't be able to issue it. The health insurance card turned out to not be sufficient even though they said to begin with that it would be.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

Old 01-19-2010, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristeen View Post
I took that stuff in last week and was told after sitting there for an hour that because I didn't have a second form of identity for the baby that had his birthdate on it, they wouldn't be able to issue it. The health insurance card turned out to not be sufficient even though they said to begin with that it would be.
Sorry that it turned out that way for you. Don't take this the wrong way, but I wish that I could say I was surprised! The left hand really doesn't know what the right hand is doing over there...one person confirms that certain documents will be sufficient, and then when you get there, they are not. Super easy to deal with, especially when you have a baby, right?

Crunchy wife to my high-school sweetheart, mama to DS (10/23/05) , DS (11/22/07) , DD (3/9/10) , and DS (5/26/12),  and three babies in Heaven.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:42 PM - Thread Starter

I went in this week also and was unsuccessful. I just didn't realize it was like the DMV and that I would be waiting forever. There was a sign about making appointments, so I went home with the plan to do that on line or on the phone. I called and waited on hold, and then left my number and got a call back in less than 10 minutes.

The woman on the phone said that I could do it by mail and that the baby's BC and my ID (I'll send my passport) would be sufficient.

Could it really be that easy? When I find out, I'll post again.

Teacher, Mother of 4
Old 01-21-2010, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifpaul View Post
I went in this week also and was unsuccessful. I just didn't realize it was like the DMV and that I would be waiting forever. There was a sign about making appointments, so I went home with the plan to do that on line or on the phone. I called and waited on hold, and then left my number and got a call back in less than 10 minutes.

The woman on the phone said that I could do it by mail and that the baby's BC and my ID (I'll send my passport) would be sufficient.

Could it really be that easy? When I find out, I'll post again.
Once again, different stories from different people who work for SS!

I can't imagine that it can really be as easy as doing it by mail, but if it is, please let us all know!

As far as appointments go, I've tried to make an appointment, and was told that they don't do them for new SS cards.

Old 01-22-2010, 04:05 AM - Thread Starter

Well, at least they agree on one point! The woman I spoke with also said there are no appointments for new cards.

I'll try and send it out tomorrow.

Teacher, Mother of 4
Old 01-29-2010, 10:46 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
I did this in CA. I needed two forms of ID for the baby. One is the birth certificate. The second can be government issued or an original medical record. They are used to vax records but any medical record copy with an original stamp from the medical provider works.
Old 02-03-2010, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikki Jean View Post
As far as appointments go, I've tried to make an appointment, and was told that they don't do them for new SS cards.
I was told the same thing. I was also told about mailing, but they said it would be 8-10 weeks to get the stuff back. No thanks.

I did finally get it taken care of - it took the certified copy of his birth certificate ($19 this cost me!), the letter from my midwife that I took to get his birth certificate, and my ID (and the baby, obviously).

Really, the best thing you can do is go first thing in the morning, middle of the week. I was in and out in 20 minutes, and we're in a major metro area.

Old 02-04-2010, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter

Update.

Well, last Friday, I mailed in (certified) my passport and the baby's BC, just as they asked. Yesterday, Wednesday, I got everything back saying that they needed another proof of identity for the baby such as doctor's records or an immunization record.

They did include a postage paid return envelope.

I wrote a polite note letting them know what I had been told on the phone, and will send it off again.

I will report back here what happens.

Teacher, Mother of 4
Old 02-04-2010, 06:21 PM

I suggest that you deal with them with everything in writing.

And to think, this is only the beginning. You have 18-25 more years of this.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:25 PM
AJP

Both times with my home-born babies, the SS office accepted as second ID a signed letter from my midwife stating she provided my prenatal care and witnessed the birth, along with the birth certificate.

There is no secret ingredient.
Old 02-05-2010, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miriam View Post
And to think, this is only the beginning. You have 18-25 more years of this.
Actually, in 25 years I'll be eligible for Social Security myself!

Teacher, Mother of 4
Old 02-05-2010, 08:31 PM

I am talking about dealing with paediatricians, school officials, doctors, nurses, social workers, youth administrators, drivers' licenses, etc. for your child, as far as paperwork and identifications are concerned.

Yes, getting SSA for yourself will be another mountain to climb.
Old 02-13-2010, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

UPDATE

After one week, SS returned to me my original documents: my passport, baby's BC and baby's immunization record.
They say it'll now be up to 4 weeks (from when they received it) to get the #.

So far, so good . . .

Teacher, Mother of 4
Old 02-15-2010, 09:42 PM

Thanks for asking this! I just filed a petition through probate court to get my ds his birth certificate (UC in san diego= nightmare), then I can go to vital records and get that, and THEN I can do all of this. Yippeee
Old 03-05-2010, 11:26 PM - Thread Starter

IT ARRIVED.

Four weeks after I sent in my documents, I now have the SSN in hand.

All in all, not so bad - after the original confusion about what was actually needed.
FTR, I sent in my passport, baby's birth certificate, and baby's immunization record.

Teacher, Mother of 4
Old 03-07-2010, 01:47 PM

!
Old 03-08-2010, 01:54 PM

Do you need medical records? Really? We're planning a UP/UC right now and we'll be moving to the Bay Area at the beginning of May. For proof of pregnancy, I'm planning on just going into Planned Parenthood and peeing in a cup when we move there (and asking for the "proof" on an official letterhead and such). My first was a UC and she's never seen a doctor at all. Here in Utah, we just filled out a piece of paper at the time the birth certificate was filed and then a SS card came in the mail a month later. Why is it different state to state if it's a federally-issued ID? I really don't want to bother with any sort of WBVs at all. Having to go around and look for a doctor postpartum just doesn't seem appealing to me.

Mommy to DD March 2008, DS July 2010

User Tag List