Moving to LA & Looking for AP Playgroup a Co-op Pre -School - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 01-12-2010, 02:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi,

We're moving to LA next month and I'd really like to find a great AP or natural parenting play group in our area. We'll be living near the Farmers Market on Fairfax and 3rd. I am not really looking to drive too far, so if anyone knows of a play group that meets near by, I would love to hear about it. Also, my daughter is 3.5 and we are involved in a co-op preschool here in San Diego and I would like to find something similar for her in LA. Again, don't want to drive too far. Something small (if possible!) with parent involvement.

I can't wait to get connected with some like minded parents and their children, it's absolutely imperative to our happiness.

Thanks in advance.
#2 of 13 Old 01-12-2010, 03:12 AM

join the yahoo group SoCalAPFamilies! It's pretty active and you can get rec's for meet-ups near you!
#3 of 13 Old 01-12-2010, 09:18 PM

http://ccppns.org/index.php

This is the website for Ca co-op preschools. Look under "find a school" and hit the Los Angeles area - a huge list will pop up with info
#4 of 13 Old 01-20-2010, 01:37 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Beverly Glen has a good rep as does another one in the Hollywood Hills. I'll try to remember the name. We toured the later and I thought it was stable and pretty cool.
#5 of 13 Old 01-25-2010, 02:14 PM

Hi Cedar...it is Kathleen!!! We are going to miss you here in San Diego....we will come up and visit!
Saw your post so i thought I'd post!!!

Love,
Me

Crazed life-learning Mom to DS 1 Augustus (02/00) and DS 2 Ben (08/05). Love my DH Tony . Full house 5 11 found our "purrfect". Lovin' life!!!!
#6 of 13 Old 02-15-2010, 02:27 AM

It's not terribly close to you, but Rose Scharlin Coop is fabulous! It's in Silver Lake and we're accepting applications for fall NOW: www.rosescharlin.com.

Hope to meet you someday!

Mama to two girls 12/05 and 8/09

#7 of 13 Old 03-13-2010, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caemommy View Post
join the yahoo group SoCalAPFamilies! It's pretty active and you can get rec's for meet-ups near you!
In addition to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SoCalAPFamilies ,
you might try http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NELAAP

Mama to two amazing homeschooling boys born in 1999 and 2002
#8 of 13 Old 03-20-2010, 01:38 PM

Hi! Not sure where in LA you've landed, but another idea is the Holistic Moms Network - we meet in South Pasadena the first Wednesday of each month at 6:30 pm. My son is at a local Waldorf school now, so we don't do the playdates anymore, but they meet every Friday and the group is lovely - moms and kiddos are great.

HTH!

Edited to add that HMN meets at the South Pas LIBRARY (location helps!). Great group of like-minded mamas!
#9 of 13 Old 04-09-2010, 03:42 PM

Wow, did you move into my old house? I just moved from that exact neighborhood a few months back. I'll be honest with you, there aren't any co-ops right in that neighborhood. However, there are a few good resources I can pass onto you that you should check out.

Play - a great little play space, lots of great mamas, good chance of meeting like-minded mamas here. Love their music classes. Very close to you.

Ranco Co-op - is the closest co-op to you, but it isn't exactly close.

PumpStation - is a fantastic place to connect with attachment parents - take a class at the Hollywood location. Again, not exactly close but not too far. They often host interesting topic classes or just plain "Mama Talk" style classes.

Agree with the others on the SoCalAP Yahoo groups for meet ups. Also try searching Meetup.com for attachment parenting - some of the groups even meet at the Grove sometimes.

Welcome to the neighborhood! I lived there for 10 years and walked to the Farmer's Market/The Grove nearly every day. It is a fantastic neighborhood, you'll love it.
#10 of 13 Old 04-10-2010, 11:39 PM

this might be of interest to you.

http://canyonschoolhollywood.com/

I've met a lot of nice families from this school/group.

Check out New Moon on my Astrology Site

http://tracyastrosalon.blogspot.com/

#11 of 13 Old 05-05-2010, 01:02 AM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The two yahoo groups mentioned are good. Canyon Co-Op is Hollywood has a good reputation and is stable. Pump Station is nice for finding like-minded mamas. We toured it and liked it but went Reggio. If you can't find a co-op you like good local activity places are Play (although they don't do Music Together anymore) and Joey's Gym.

Don't know if you are nursing or planning another but the Nordstrom at the Grove has something like 50% of all nursing women in LA at any given time...
#12 of 13 Old 05-10-2010, 04:18 PM

Oh yeah how could I forget: http://growcreativeseeds.com LOVE this place for dance classes, drum classes, music classes and the mamas that go here are so great.
#13 of 13 Old 05-14-2010, 08:52 AM

Was blown away by Manhattan Beach Nursery School when I toured there a few years ago:

http://www.manhattanbeachnurseryschool.org/

Mama to two amazing homeschooling boys born in 1999 and 2002

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page