grass fed beef near san diego? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 02-05-2010, 01:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I live in northern san diego county and am looking for a reasonably priced source for grass fed beef and free range chickens. There are soooooo many in central and northern cali, but are there any in southern cali? I found one but it comes to around $10/lb... I suppose I would be willing to order from someone up north, if any of you ladies have good reccomendations! Thanks so much!

Jackie and Rafael (4/15/04)
DS (4/25/05) my unschooled airbending pokemon wizard 
DD (10/05/06) my spirited pixie, who weaned at 3 yrs 10 months
DD (7/27/09) my UC water baby - I mean toddler!

DS (2/21/12) UC #2! My littlest love

#2 of 11 Old 02-05-2010, 01:35 PM

The only place I have found grass fed beef is in a small shop in La Jolla (can't remember the name, though, sorry- all I know is that it was near the x-mas parade route and not far from Burger Lounge where you can eat out grass-fed beef) and they carry some at Cream of the Crop on coast highway in Oceanside (although it is NOT local).
#3 of 11 Old 02-05-2010, 02:54 PM

So the shop in La Jolla is called Homegrown Meats. It's on the corner of Kline and Fay, I think, a block towards the ocean from Vons. There was an article about their operation - they have a ranch they use on Palomar Mountain - in the most recent edition of Edible San Diego.

Basically there is no slaughterhouse in San Diego County and so they have to drive all the cattle up north to butcher them. Michael Pollan mentions this barrier for small operations in his book The Omnivore's Dilemma.

Whole Foods and Jimbo's also carry pastured meats.

Trader Joe's has organic, grass-fed ground beef for $6 a pound. From Australia, but the price is the lowest I have found in the area.

The print edition of Edible SD also has advertisements from small farmers growing animals by hand for meat. Maybe that would be a resource for you. Another option would be to buy a cow or a portion of a cow.

Let me know what you discover.

Teacher, Mother of 4
#4 of 11 Old 03-20-2010, 02:15 PM

Hi Jackie,

We are looking for a cow as well. My research has led me to Organic Pastures. I asked Mark McAfee himself about drugs (hormones, vaccines, antibiotics, etc) and his animals are clear of them. I am not sure how much shipping would be (I haven't placed an order yet), but I am hoping to actually make the drive up there to pick some up (I would love to see his farm).

Here's a link to his pricing: http://www.organicpastures.com/shop.html#beef
#5 of 11 Old 03-22-2010, 12:22 PM

I wish I were more familiar with the area, we have been buying from Trader Joe's and Halal stores. Thanks for posting this question.
#6 of 11 Old 03-22-2010, 05:02 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I use Organic Pastures for my dairy products and have been happy with them.

I don't know the farm but some of the farmers markets have meat. I know the Hillcrest one did last summer.
#7 of 11 Old 03-23-2010, 12:18 PM

I belong to a local CSA, and one of our farms (Sage Mountain) grows a few types of steer, fed organically: Grass Fed only (June and July), Grass and Organic Vegetable Fed (July thru December) and
Grass, Organic Vegetable and Organic Grain fed (May thru December). You can contact them at phil@sagemountainfarm.com
#8 of 11 Old 11-08-2011, 03:04 PM

Check out Green Beef www.eatgreenbeef.com there a local CSA in San Diego 100% Grass fed and grass finished!

#9 of 11 Old 08-29-2012, 11:49 PM

Since our whole family is eating gluten free now, we have started eating a lot more meat.    But we don't trust the store bought beef here in San Diego.

And it has to be 100% grass- fed organic, which is very pricey.    But we mostly have been eating roasts and ground beef, which is affordable.  And my two young boys love it.   I happened to stop by the San Marcos Farmer's Market  on a whim on Sunday.    And there's a new grass-fed beef ranch there called  Bella Coola Beef.     Their ground beef was amazing, since it is dry-aged and lean.    Next time we will try some steaks.    The site is:    http://bellacoolabeef.com/    I think they may have a CSA but I'm not sure.  

#10 of 11 Old 09-07-2012, 10:07 AM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Organic Pastures is primarily a (huge) raw dairy so they aren't truly a beef producer. I am not wild about their meat. We've had really good luck with ordering from New York State based 8 o'clock ranch http://www.8oclockranch.com/ Even with shipping it is less expensive than local prices and the quality has been particularly good. You can do an animal share or by the cut. I particularly like their lamb. We buy most beef through Whole Foods, I like the stuff they carry from Hearst Ranch? I think, step four.  But it is seasonal and all of the stores don't carry it.

We also get a lot of meat through Lindy and Grundy (Los Angeles).

#11 of 11 Old 06-05-2013, 01:45 PM

Hi, My name is Kristi. My family sells their grass fed beef in San Diego. All the cows are raised in California. You can see more information at www.truepasturebeef.com 

It is so great so many more people care about where their food comes from. It has really helps family ranches continue to do what they love. joy.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page