Desperately need midwife/OB reference for LA/Orange County! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-18-2010, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am 30 weeks pregnant and we just returned to So Cal after being cross-country for 5.5 years. Now I desperately need to find a prenatal provider here. I was REALLY hoping for a homebirth/birth center birth, but alas, insurance absolutely won't cover anyone not on our "list" of providers, and we cannot afford to pay out-of-pocket. SO, I need to find a midwife, OB/GYN, or facility that is supportive of natural birth, breastfeeding, and allowing me to labor and push at my own pace as well as allowing me to choose what is done to/with my baby directly after birth. Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!
I am in Duarte, but very familiar with the OC area as that's where I grew up. Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2010, 05:26 AM

Can you post your list of providers that are allowed?

AP HB Mama to three beautiful girls!
Old 03-23-2010, 11:10 PM - Thread Starter

We have Blue Cross/blue shield and the list is actually very extensive. It just doesn't include midwives or birth centers -- only doctors and hospitals. So I was hoping someone could recommend a doctor or at least a hospital that they were pleased with. Thank you!
Old 03-24-2010, 01:04 AM

Is Dr. Crane at Cedars on the list? He backs up midwives in the LA area and is very natural friendly. Has a great midwife on staff. He was the back up for my homebirth and I met with him twice and he was lovely. Or, Dr. Dwight at Good Samaritan... also hear raves about that practice. Sorry neither in the OC. Incidentally, there is a state law that says that insurers have to cover midwives if they cover maternity services/obs. I had blue cross for baby 2. I do remember there were midwives listed, although they were hospital midwives (e.g. at UCLA). Blue Cross ended up covering 60-70 percent of my homebirth (midwife was Davi Khalsa). I think it would be worth if for you to investigate and push it with them

AP HB Mama to three beautiful girls!
Old 04-02-2010, 08:44 PM

Not sure how close this is for you but Dr. Ronald Wu in Glendale was my back up OB for my HB... we ended up transferring and he let me VBAC all natural at the hospital. He is wonderful!

Michelle, Happily married to first crush 4/2005, SAHM to DD 7/2006 , DS 8/2008 ,angel1.gif 4/2010, DD 3/2011, expecting DS 8/2013. 

Old 04-03-2010, 02:39 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
nak

sue gill w/ blessed beginnings midwifery is awesome, and she does take some insurances.

do you have an hmo or ppo? that will make all the difference of whether or not they even *may* cover a hb mw.

Crunchy wife to my high-school sweetheart, mama to DS (10/23/05) , DS (11/22/07) , DD (3/9/10) , and DS (5/26/12),  and three babies in Heaven.
Old 04-09-2010, 01:20 AM

I live in OC and have BC/BS PPO. There were no CNM's in their directory for OC, but there were a lot in LA. They actually did an exemption for my midwife and covered her (all pre-natal care, the birth and post-natal care) as in-network, since there wasn't any near me. Have you asked them about that? However, they covered the birth center out-of-network, though. Go figure. All in all, we only ended up paying a little over $1,000 out-of-pocket.

I used BJ Snell at Beach Cities Midwifery in Laguna Hills and loved her to pieces. She is a CNM.

Michele married to Dh since Dec 2000 and happily sharing a home with 3 kitties, 1 doggy, DS R born 8/25/09 into the arms of his mama, and DS E born 2/25/2012

Old 04-09-2010, 04:25 PM

Will your insurance cover the Midwives/OB group at UCLA? They work with the doctors in the OB group and our crappy HMO covered them since it was in a hospital. I'd definitely look into it, I transferred to them for my homebirth (with Davi Khalsa) and still had an all natural vbac even though I pushed for 7.5 hours. NO other hospital setting around here would that have been possible. They were SO supportive and amazing.
Old 04-17-2010, 08:12 PM

Did you find someone?

Dr Shaun Grady in Sierra Madre is supportive of all of the above (& VBAC!). He has privileges at Arcadia Methodist. He is the local midwife back up OB.

~Heather, loving my DH and DS with my whole heart. Our newest addition DD July '10
Old 04-18-2010, 11:22 PM

I used Nathana Lurvey at what was then California OB/GYN but now seems to be called South Bay Family Healthcare, in Inglewood. She's an OB/GYN I used after I risked out of home birth at South Coast Midwifery, which is in Irvine.
Old 04-26-2010, 03:45 PM

I used South Coast Midwifery in 2005 and 2008, for home births. They have a birth center too. They need payment upfront, but in 2008, BC/BS paid us back at 70% (out of network). We had Aetna in 2006, and didn't get anything. I didn't care - it was worth every penny. I would absolutely recommend SCM but they're probably too far for you. They might, however, have recommendations in your area. I was recently with Kaiser and the CNMs there all know the ladies at SCM. Now I've changed to BC/BS and am at 16 weeks with #4, and would really like to get a list myself! I'm in Orange. I am extremely reluctant to go back into the world of hospital-controlled child birth like I experienced with my first in 2003. Good luck - can you post the ones you find out about?
Old 05-05-2010, 01:57 AM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
The UCLA midwives are part of a larger OB group and so they are usually covered under "normal" insurance. I had them for two births, including one accidental (very cool) unassisted homebirth. Lots of threads on them.

But I assume you don't want to drive from Duarte to UCLA during labor so you might consider searching some of the yahoo ap groups/babywearing groups too.

User Tag List