Waldorf Schools in San Diego - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-18-2010, 10:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Mamas,

There is a slight chance that we will be moving to San Diego and, as much as I love San Diego, I am really sad about it because we just recently moved to LA and are settled at our Waldorf school here.

I was wondering if any of you could tell me about your experiences with the two Waldorf schools in the area. I see that Sanderling is a pretty young school, so there is probably a great community there, but I know how hard it is to be a young school.

Waldorf School of San Diego is much more developed and even has a high school. I think I read in another post that it's not in a great area (rents seem VERY affordable, which, strangly, sort of scares me! ). But if it's a great school, I can look past that.

Any help would be great. I want my heart to feel better about this!

Thank you!
#2 of 6 Old 03-20-2010, 06:08 PM
Banned

Sanderling is pretty well respected around here. I think I heard some issues about where they would be a few years back, but many in the AP/NFL circles here use them for preschool or gradeschool. DD's not in school but I can say the area (our area ) is really nice.
#3 of 6 Old 03-21-2010, 09:46 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I can't comment on the schools but I can comment on the areas. Sanderling is about 25 minutes north of Downtown. It's a nice, crunchy area but it is expensive to buy in the area.

The other school is in a bad part of town (I will only go to that area during the day and usually don't my kids there) but there are some really nice neighborhoods within a few miles like Kensington or University Heights. In that part of town you want to stay north of El Cajon blvd unless you are west of the 163 freeway. This is also a crunchy area of town. It's become trendy lately so there is a lot of competition for the affordable housing if you are buying. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about the area.
#4 of 6 Old 03-25-2010, 02:09 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your replies! ZoeyZoo, I just might PM you if things progress with the interview process. I am still drawn to both schools for different reasons, so I would need to visit both to see which one feels right. I am sure Sanderling will have room for us, but not sure San Diego would... I've sort of stepped back from my panic to just follow the "whatever will be will be" frame of mind.

I think ideally I would like to stay where we are since we're settled here! Perhaps DH can find his dream job here instead!

Thank you again!
#5 of 6 Old 03-25-2010, 05:18 PM

We just moved to Encinitas (renting for now) and I was excited because the Sanderling school is so close, but I've heard the waiting list is LONG (though if your child is already in Waldorf it's a plus). I also don't like that it only goes up to 4th grade, and they combine 1st/2nd and 3rd/4th grades into one classroom. It's made me think more about the San Diego school, and we are thinking about moving closer to it once we are ready to buy a house. I also like that the San Diego school has been around for a while and is more established. I am not ready to send my son to school yet, so we have some time. I'd definitely take the time to visit both schools before you decide where to move.

Jennifer
SAHM to DS 6/2007 and one on the way due in October
#6 of 6 Old 03-25-2010, 07:27 PM

Actually, djenya, Sanderling will offer 5th grade next year as well. It will be broken into 1st grade, 2/3 grade, & 4/5 grade. Their plan is to build one grade each year so that in a few years they will be K-8.

Lauren
Mama to one awesome little girl and her adorable baby brother.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page