Where to visit in San Diego - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 04-15-2010, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We're thinking of visiting San Diego, and was wondering about AP-friendly places. I am bfing my baby and have a very attached seven year old. What are some good places to go? Also, any good traditional foods restaurants?

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

#2 of 4 Old 04-18-2010, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter

Maybe I should introduce myself. I am interested in just visiting San Diego. I've never been there, but my aunt and uncle lived there for awhile long ago (like the 50s) while he was in the Navy. They loved it there but it was only a temporary stop for them -- they now live in central Washington. Anyway, we were thinking of going next month (I am such a last-minute person, once I flew to Costa Rica for an ecotourism trip (as a volunteer) with just a few days' notice). I know from living in San Francisco that places that are popular with tourists aren't always the best places to see real local flavor, much less relax. I have a seven year old ds and a five month old dd, so I need to find places that would be fun for both of them and my husband and myself. My ds is thinking he'd like to visit Legoland, and I would like to see at least one museum. Any suggestions? My dd may be eating a few solids by then, but right now she's exclusively breast fed. My ds is a rather er, selective eater. He loves fruit, fortunately, and I was hoping to find a good farmer's market in the area.

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

#3 of 4 Old 04-18-2010, 03:51 PM

Do you know whereabouts in SD you will be staying?

I would highly recommend Balboa Park - there are several museums there, and it is a beautiful place to spend a day. The San Diego Zoo is actually part of Balboa Park as well.
http://www.balboapark.org

There is a schedule for farmers' markets in the area here:
http://www.sdfarmbureau.org/BuyLocal...rs-Markets.php

I think most of the area is pretty AP-friendly, or at least I've never encountered any negativity about it from strangers.

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#4 of 4 Old 04-23-2010, 05:59 PM

You might want to check out Java Mama, a cafe designed for families with young children. They are re-opening on May 5th after a recent move. The new address is:

9880 Hibert Street
Suite E3
San Diego, 92131

I haven't been to Legoland, so I can't help there. But last time I went to Sea World, I did find a nursing room near the Bay of Play. I have also nursed my dd as she stood in the stands during the dolphin show. I used a nursing cover, and I didn't notice anyone saying anything, but who knows? I have also nursed her in some of the darkly-lit aquarium buildings, which is a bit more private.

As for museums, I know there is a children's museum downtown at 200 West Island Avenue. http://www.thinkplaycreate.org/

As the pp said, Balboa Park has all sorts of museums: art, science & technology, sports, even a model train museum. Reuben H. Fleet has a science-educational play area for kids, and an IMAX theatre. There is also a puppet theatre, if your kids are into that. So you can probably find something at Balboa Park, depending on what your family's interests are.

Good luck!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page