Homebirth Midwife in Bay Area Accepting Medi-Cal?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 06-09-2010, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hello!! i have spent countless hours looking for the magical woman -- does she exist?

does anyone have info on a homebirth midwife in the marin/san francisco/east bay area, accepting medi-cal?

or, someone who is able to offer a sliding scale to a woman on medi-al with no income?

thanks
#2 of 11 Old 06-09-2010, 08:57 PM

This is my homebirth midwife team. I don't know about Medi-Cal but I know that they do sliding scale and you tell them what you can pay and they work with you on it. Maybe give it a try?

Beth- WOHM slinggirl.gif  -Madly in love with my Wife- SAHMhola.gifandbabyf.gifSophia, born 11/2/10, at home! homebirth.jpgExpressing love, one ounce at a time!  1pump.gif

#3 of 11 Old 06-10-2010, 02:19 AM

I honestly don't know any HB MWs that take medi-cal. But I suppose it's possible. How many have you spoken with? There are literally dozens in the area.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#4 of 11 Old 06-15-2010, 03:00 AM

I searched around for these, had no such luck.
The lowest sliding scale fee for homebirth or birth center in Bay Area was around 2500-3000 for the whole thing...I don't have that kind of money!

Medi-Cal does have some CNMs available as their provider. I did not like the CNM that I saw through Medi-Cal. At the end, I just chose a nearest random OB and a doula for my birth. Everything went pretty okay, I had "natural" birth, but I did have to argue with my OB on the phone for 30 minutes while I was in active labor!

You might be able to find a nice CNM through Medi-Cal. I didn't search deep and wide in CNM pool, because I got so tired to lack of options. You may get lucky.

Good luck!
#5 of 11 Old 06-15-2010, 01:39 PM

My friend and due date buddy is using Awakenings and loves them... they are totally working with her as far as $..... http://www.awakeningsbirthservices.c...hServices.html

AP HB Mama to three beautiful girls!
#6 of 11 Old 06-17-2010, 10:02 PM

Not sure if she still accepts Medi-cal but you should check because she used to. SHe's a CNM based in Burlingame.
http://homebirthcnm.com/index.html

Poppan ~ twins born April 2007
#7 of 11 Old 06-18-2010, 11:25 PM

It's not a homebirth, but I believe Sage Femme birth center in SF takes medical and they also work on a sliding scale. I was charged the full amount (and reimbursed by my insurance), which was $3500....so I'd have to guess that it would be less than that on a sliding scale. I can't say enough good things about my experience there.

Cindy

Mama to my veggie girl hearts.gif(1/09) and my sweet rainbow baby rainbow1284.gif (9/12). 

#8 of 11 Old 06-21-2010, 02:47 PM

I just found Sage Femme online and it looks amazing. The full amount was $3500? What insurance do you have that reimbursed you?
Apologies if I am thread hi-jacking.

treehugger.giftrekkie.gif married to Mikestillheart.gif Mama to my furry babies cat.gifjust gave birth to our first babyf.gif DS.

#9 of 11 Old 06-21-2010, 03:26 PM

I can't remember for sure which insurance I had since I switched to DH's right after the birth and have totally blanked. I think I had aetna PPO? It was out of network but somehow what they billed the insurance for totalled more than 3500 so I did end up getting fully reimbursed. She said I had the best coverage she'd seen. Unfortunately I don't have the same insurance now so we may have to pay more when we have #2.

Cindy

Mama to my veggie girl hearts.gif(1/09) and my sweet rainbow baby rainbow1284.gif (9/12). 

#10 of 11 Old 10-17-2011, 11:23 PM

I'm looking for a midwife to work with out of the East Bay as well- I'm in Livermore. Sage Femme is now closed :( and I don't know of any other birth centers in the Bay. Any thoughts or resources? Thanks Ladies.

#11 of 11 Old 10-18-2011, 07:57 AM

Sage Femme has closed, but the midwife, Judi Tinkelenberg, is now doing homebirths. She is based out of Alameda now. I'm sure she is likely still accepting medical and doing sliding scale.  Also, I believe there is a birth center in Oakland? Not sure of the name. 

Cindy

WarmHandsDoula likes this.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page